Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock gear 20
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

How big should my pack be?

I've been looking at almost every ultralight framed pack i could find, i seem to really like the ones from osprey. From what i have heard from the ultralight community it is best to get one that's not too big s your ot tempted to fill it up and therefore possibly add extra weight. My trips will tend to be anywhere from a weekend to a whole week. I also plan on using this pack for a thru hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail this summer, gunna only put a weeks worth of gear in at a time.

anyway i am debating betwwen the exos 46 and the exos 58. please help.
    I am the all-singing, all-dancing crap of this world.... I am the toxic waste by-product of God's creation. ~Chuck Palahniuk,

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    I'm not sure about osprey but I love my granite gear blaze and my granite gear crown both packs have done me well, are very light, hold all my gear and 7 days of food. You may want to check them out.
    Last edited by otter; 02-03-2013 at 21:00.
    God gave me two good legs and two good eyes I better use them.

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    I use a 45L Vaude and love it. I can fit a weeks gear in there easy and the weight distrobution is awesome. PLUS the bag is only like 70-80 bucks...

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    i love my zPacks Zero. but when i use it i'm always under 20lbs. next month i'll upgrade to the ArcBlast so i can go 30lbs (because the GF always has a credenza or wardrobe closet of hers that i'm expected to haul).

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I wold encourage you to compare the Osprey to a Granite Gear VC. The GG VC weights 2 lbs 2 oz vs the Osprey which is usually a heavier pack. I have both and find the GG to be far more comfortable and more "packable" if that's a word. If you want to go lighter I would highly recommend a Six Moon Designs pack; either the Feather or the one that is the next size up. Look at the recommended base weight or load for each one and then look at how much each pack actually weights. The GG vc is 60 liters capacity yet is weights less than many of the smaller Ospreys like the 50 Atmos I have. Many of us start out heavier and then want to go lighter or Ultralight. If you're unsure I'd go with the GG which can hold a week's worth or you can use it for an over nighter. I like the SMD's because they're even lighter and yet they have good capacity for the light or ultralight hiker. The ospreys are good packs but they're heavy packs...I think you'd end up wanting a lighter pack. You can go with the Gossamer Gear Murmur or similar but those are truly ultralight packs; unless you're dedicated to ultralight and base weights under 10lbs you'll want something that can carry a bit heavier load while staying as light as possible on the pack. The pack itself will be one of the heaviest items you'll be carrying so be really careful about this purchase.
    Best of luck
    Gideon

PS; here's the other Six Moon Designs pack I was thinking of, it's their Swift, it can carry 30 lbs with a base weight of 12. You'll need a light tarp, light hammock and light quilts but if you can get those you'll also have a light pack at only 15 oz which is less than half the weight of the Granite Gear Vapor. Another advantage of the GG vapor is it's hip belt; one of the best I've ever used and really puts a lot of the pack weight on your hips.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs/Swift.html

and the Granite Gear VC:

http://www.rei.com/product/831620/gr...1-001b2166c2c0

An example of what I'm talking about is the Vaude recommended above (no disrespect intended friend), it weights 4 lbs just for the pack. I'm sure it's a good pack but if you can comfortably carry what you need with a lighter pack then the total weight on your back is decreased and that feels good!
    Last edited by Gideon; 02-03-2013 at 21:00.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I wold encourage you to compare the Osprey to a Granite Gear VC. The GG VC weights 2 lbs 2 oz vs the Osprey which is usually a heavier pack. I have both and find the GG to be far more comfortable and more "packable" if that's a word. If you want to go lighter I would highly recommend a Six Moon Designs pack; either the Feather or the one that is the next size up. Look at the recommended base weight or load for each one and then look at how much each pack actually weights. The GG vc is 60 liters capacity yet is weights less than many of the smaller Ospreys like the 50 Atmos I have. Many of us start out heavier and then want to go lighter or Ultralight. If you're unsure I'd go with the GG which can hold a week's worth or you can use it for an over nighter. I like the SMD's because they're even lighter and yet they have good capacity for the light or ultralight hiker. The ospreys are good packs but they're heavy packs...I think you'd end up wanting a lighter pack. You can go with the Gossamer Gear Murmur or similar but those are truly ultralight packs; unless you're dedicated to ultralight and base weights under 10lbs you'll want something that can carry a bit heavier load while staying as light as possible on the pack. The pack itself will be one of the heaviest items you'll be carrying so be really careful about this purchase.
    Best of luck
    Gideon
    I believe your talking about the granite gear crown 60 with vapor current technology.
    Last edited by otter; 02-03-2013 at 21:23.
    God gave me two good legs and two good eyes I better use them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have a ULA Circuit and love it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    I have an REI Flash 52 and an Osprey Exos 34. Love both of them. The Flash is for backpacking, the Exos is for walking the Camino de Santiago in Spain, and once I get my kit dialed in, it will be for weekend backpack trips.
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Exos 58 works fine for 3-season trips for me. I'm far from an "ultra-lite" hiker though. My pack seems to hover between 32-35lbs for a week long trip. I probably should have gone with the 46. My packing style involves cramming in gear until I run out of space. A smaller pack would help this a bit.

The suspension is almost maxed out comfort-wise at 35lbs. At 30lbs I barely notice I have it on but more starts to pinch the hips and sag onto the shoulders. I was worried about the lightweight buckles/straps on the Exos but I've had it 2 years with maybe 300 trail miles and so far so good.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I have the Granite Gear Virga, 13 oz. 50 l. Light and bomb-proof. I wouldn't want to carry more than the recommended load (20 lb.) for too long.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast