Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I drove up Thursday to OutandBacks home, then Friday afternoon we headed up to the campground. This was to be my first winter/snow hang
    and I wanted to try some snowshoeing too, so after getting setup, I went exploring around the campground some. Hiked up the Colorado
    Trail a ways from the east campground junction and back.

Saturday I wanted to hike up to an overlook that is one of OutandBacks secret spots. He told me how to get there and off I went. After
    finding Bobs overlook, I hiked back down to the Colorado Trail and continued on down it for another mile or so. There were several
    cars in the parking lot so I figured there must be something that day hikers are hiking a short ways in to see. I came to a clearing
    and a bench, at which point the trail heads downhill, so I turned around and headed back to camp.

I think I like this snowshoeing thing and hiking in a snow covered forest is pretty cool.

As for the hammocking part of the weekend, I stayed pretty warm except for my toes Friday night. But I expected that. Saturday, Bob went
    around and inspected everyones UQs and found many were cinched up too tight, including mine. After an adjustment, Saturday nights sleep
    was much better. I lowered the head end a little more too. I think I kept sliding down toward the foot end and my feet would extend past
    what the UQ was covering. And I have to say, I would not have wanted to be without my hammock sock.

A few guys were heating water in a metal cannister to take to bed with them. Rory let me give one of his a try but I didn't seem to get
    much out of it. I found it hard to keep up with. I woke up once wondering why my pillow was so damned hard, it seemed frozen stiff.
    Come to find out, it wasn't my pillow, it was that damned cannister!

Thanks to Jory for bringing the firewood. Once we figured out how to get that hardwood to stay burning, we had some good campfires. The
    scraps of pine that Isheian brought saved our bacon until then.

In one of Bobs pictures, that's Jory pulking in his gear to find some trees, not me.

I met some new friends and learned a few things too. Thanks to everyone who attended.

Here's some video I shot.
    http://youtu.be/ZipKYndiUI8
    Last edited by trailryder42; 02-06-2013 at 12:36.

Hammock
    DangerBird or Lefty 1.7 BB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    tr42,
    Nice pics and the views in the video were beautiful. It's always a bit surprising to me how much of the grading on ascents and descents get washed out by cameras. It's not 'til we actually hike in those mtns. that the thighs tell us what is really under our feet.
    tzq
    Do you imagine the universe is agitated?
    Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars,
    This practice should answer the question... Lao Tzu

Images
    Hi Derek, great picts and video thanks so much.

I've been PMing with Chuck he is working on getting his TR picts and vids up.

Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Weighing options
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    i really like the camo one. Do you have plans or do you sell them?
    That was on my setup, and it is from Warbonnet. Picked it up on the drive to the campground and very glad I did - with the wind gusting it really helped hold in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post
    Who ever left the white bucket, I've got it.
    DOH! Knew I would forget something. Glad it was just a couple dollar firewood bucket and not something more important/costly. Guess I was focusing too much on not forgetting my tree straps

I only stayed the first night, been REALLY sick lately and didn't want to push my luck. The weather was nicer than I thought, had some really fun times just relaxing and meeting new people. This was my first hammock hang ever and my first winter trip in probably 10+ years. My setup was a WBBB, WBMJ tarp with doors added, WB Travel Sock, 0deg Yeti 3/4 UQ borrowed from OandB (THANKS!), 1/8" full-length CCF pad purchased from Lawson, and a sparkly new UnderGroundQuilts 0deg extra wide/long TQ. I tossed some hand warmers in my back pockets just to ward off any chance of CBS and slept really warm.

The wind rocking the trees and causing the hammock to bounce up and down was something I didn't expect and I think kept quite a few from getting very restful sleep. While all the trees around us were live, healthy, and decent size it was still very unsettling. Particularly given that a few lives trees had been downed by a previous storm from the looks of them, VERY glad we went a little farther in to have less wind blowing through at ground level.

I learned quite a bit from the hanging veterans and am looking forward to the next group hang!

Jory

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Thanks for all the pictures and video!! TR42, your legs must be tougher than cedar posts by now! Good to hear your happy voice again on the great video. My Seminar was great, as usual, but I couldn't help thinking about you all the entire time. Sure good to see the familiar faces, the campground and especially O&B's overlook. Sure brought back happy memories. Really sorry I didn't get to meet the rest of the good folks that were able to attend. Looks like TZQ has even been following this thread! Good to hear from you my friend.

I'm eagerly looking forward to hanging with all you outlaws again. There WILL be one without a conflict on my end!!!!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Thanks for all the pictures and video!! TR42, your legs must be tougher than cedar posts by now!
    Ha Ha. I wish. I'm going to have to spend some more time chasing TZQ before that happens.

Can't wait to get up in your neck of the woods Waddy, from what I hear, maybe for the summer hang.
    Last edited by trailryder42; 02-07-2013 at 23:00.

Hammock
    DIY 8oz 30D Marpet Camo
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 4 Season
    Insulation
    MSS & PLUQ & PLTQ
    Suspension
    DIY-Woopie Sling
    Awesome trip, wish I could have been there.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wash 3
    Suspension
    whoopie!!!
    What a great first Forum hang!

The weather was challenging , with the wind sucking the heat away and randomly jolting the hammock I didn't sleep very much Friday night. Was glad it was finally nice and calm in the morning.

trailryder42,jobo,rhinoman,Isheian and OutandBack enjoying some morning heat.

OutandBack

trailryder42

jobo

Saturday warmed up pretty nice and the sun was out.
    Saturday hammock tour

RkyMtnChkwgn

Isheian

rhinoman

RkyMtnChkwgn, OutandBack, Isheian, trailryder42, jobo, rhinoman

The hungry guy and Jeff were there for Saturday night but we lost jobo.

Just Jeff

Just Jeff 2

Really embarrassed but I can't remember this guys' screen name. It has something to do with Hunger? If someone could help me out, maybe I could edit this.

Just Jeff,RkyMtnChkwgn,rhionman,OutandBack,somethinghun gry?,Isheian,trailryder42

Saturday I moved my setup to two different trees to be more in line with the direction of the wind instead of perpendicular to it. I made a Grizz Beak out of my poncho. OutandBack showed me how to properly adjust my underquilt, and jobo loaned me his brand new Travel Sock. Saturday night I slept like a baby. A very content happy baby.
    It was fun seeing what everyone else is using out there. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and making it such a cool trip.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. Hang your own hammock from them as the winds blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir (you know, all but the hammock part)

Images
    Picts look great RkyMtnChkwgn thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great pics from everyone! I had a good time even though I was only there for one of the nights!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast