Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post

...until about 9:30PM when rhinoman came walking into camp.

But that's their story and I'll let them tell it.
I do want to say big props to RkyMtnChkwgn for getting rhinoman safely to camp.
Yup...and what a story it is! The guy with the Dodge 4x4 ensuring everyone no one would get stuck...GOT STUCK!

I got a late start and the darkness fell on the way up the hill. It was my first venture to this particular camp ground so I wasn't sure where to turn. Once the correct direction was determined the snow drift and blizzard-like conditions stopped me in my tracks. I figured I would be OK (I have a Dodge 4x4!) but I thought it best to go in on foot to confirm my decision. I walked in, saw the camp and headed back to the truck to drive in.

Well...this is where things got bad. After several back-and-forth attempts to navigate the drift I was STUCK! I quickly determined that my vacuum-acutated hubs weren't "actuating"...so...no 4x4! I suspect the mechanic forgot to reconnect them after installing a new clutch (determined on the way out Sunday). RkyMtnChkwgn showed up a short time later with his Ford and we inched (foot'd?) our way through the drift. After nearly an hour of dig-pull-get stuck-rinse-repeat I finally made it to the camp ground. (My sincerest Thanks to RkyMtnChkwgn for his assistance).

OK...time to setup in the dark (1st time!). Remember the blizzard-like conditions I mentioned? It added to the "degree-of-difficulty." Hammock, UQ, and TQ went up w/o much trouble and I settled for a wind-break tarp configuration using a couple of pieces of wood and an ammo box filled with tire chains (did I mention it was windy?). My setup was rushed and I ended up back in the cab of the truck around 3am. My wind-break setup just wasn't "cutting it" and I couldn't warm up. I spent the rest of the time trying to fit my 6'2" frame in the front seat of my truck....at least it was out of the wind.

After our walk-around Saturday morning I moved the head end of my setup to another tree to get a better angle and implemented some UQ adjustments recommended by the group. Saturday night was much warmer with only my feet getting cold (need some of those hand-warmers and a pair of down booties!).

The trip out Sunday morning was uneventful. I'd chained up the rear axle on the way in Friday night and with the amount of traffic Saturday the drift wasn't a problem. I stopped on hard ground just past the drift, removed the chains and headed down the hill. A quick stop for a Sonic breakfast burrito in Conifer completed the trip.

It was a great trip and it was a pleasure meeting everyone and putting names to faces. Looking forward to the next one! I didn't take a single picture but hope others will post theirs.

Dave