90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    The area we camped in is no longer available for groups. They want them to camp in the Longleaf area right next to the parking lot.
    If everyone went as an individual, it should be ok. Don't call it a group.
    I've attached a few pics of Longleaf. Advantages... close to the cars, Dutch Ovens, port-a-jons.
    Is this the area y'all camped in? I'm a little confused as to which area is the "group" area and which is not. Apparently, the camping permits are good for 6 people/3 tents, so even if a group went as "individuals", each 6 people would only need one permit. Are campfires not allowed in the hike-in area?
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Looks Like a great time
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Spikey woods You have sharp pointy things growing out of the ground?

Nice pics, fascinating flora

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    Is this the area y'all camped in? I'm a little confused as to which area is the "group" area and which is not. Apparently, the camping permits are good for 6 people/3 tents, so even if a group went as "individuals", each 6 people would only need one permit. Are campfires not allowed in the hike-in area?
    We camped in the Bluff Camping area which is about a 20 minute hike from the visitor center. We were not a group, just six guys camping. Muskrat got one site and I got one.
    "Groups" refers to organized things like scout troops or youth groups. Typically, there is one "Leader" that represents the group.
    They are supposed to camp in the Longleaf area which is right next to the parking lot.
    I could see where 30 members from the Hammock Forum might be considered such a thing but I doubt it.

Our area was a "hike-in" area and had fire rings with a grate at each site.

You can camp anywhere in the forest.
    I think it was called "off trail" camping. You have to be some distance from the trail and rivers. Fires are not allowed here.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Spikey woods You have sharp pointy things growing out of the ground?

Nice pics, fascinating flora
    Those spikey things are called "knees" and are part of the Cypress tree root system. They give the trees a really strong foundation.

Hurricane Hugo came thru here in 1989. The ranger said they lost a lot of trees but not one Cypress.
    Last edited by swampfox; 02-04-2013 at 21:25.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing &amp; rings
    Images
    I've done some day hikes here. It's really amazing because of several different ecosystems lying within close proximity of each other.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol
    I camped off "king snake" trail this past fall. The further you get away from the visitor center, the more feral hogs are seen. We hiked later into the afternoon than we planned because we had a difficult time finding an area that was not torn up by the hogs. They are REALLY destructive and can be aggressive. We saw more hogs than deer but didn't have any trouble from them. It's a beautiful area and I encourage all to visit/hike/camp there if in the area. However, NOT recommended in summer! (Too many snakes and mosquitoes)

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    This was a great weekend for getting out and hanging with good friends. I was glad to hear the Swampfox was making his way to Columbia for a January/February hang. Even more glad that it was a weekend that I was available to invite me and a few of my buddies to partake in his event... Thanks Swampfox!

Had a great weekend with exception to the many Boy Scouts that stayed in the campground with us Friday night only. Please understand, I am an Eagle Scout. Spent my entire youth in scouting. When I say this was beyond terrible, it was. Cliff Notes version. . . Scouts come in at dark, up late with no concept that others are in the campground with them. No adult control, they were there, but they were doing their own thing. 3 times we talked with them to ask them quiet down but no avail. The sound of chopping wood started at 6:00 am. They were disrespectful and showed very little consideration for others. Worst experience I have ever had with a troop. I do plan to write a letter to the local district and express my displeasure with them as well as sending a copy to the troop itself.

Saturday, as Swampfox already mentioned, we hiked a couple of miles and got to see a completely different landscape that I typically hike in. What an ecosystem. This swamp flooded for the first time in over a year about two week ago. Saturday came with dinner and fireside chat and about 9:00 Swampfox did the untinkable... checked the weather. Sure enough, our clear skies went cloudy, wind starting coming through like a freight train, and we all battened down our hatches. Thats when I figured this was a golden opportunity for me to do what Hangin Burrito would do... yup... in my own words, I hollered out "Bring it on!".... and we got nothing. No rain. Rumors were circulating that monkeys may have spit on us from above, but no rain. I was truly bummed but in the hammock at this so point so that killed Saturday night's fireside chat.

Sunday, we were on a mission to get home, cleaned up, and prepped for the Superbowl. We were packed, exchanged pleasantries with Swampfox, who was staying a little longer to get in another hike, and we headed for coffee and breakfast.

It was great to have a low temp of 22* on Friday night (some reports varied but we were predicted for 23* but I research got us to 22"... so thats my story. Great to once again hang with Swampfox and with Rick, Kelly, Win, and our youngest of the group Jake (16). Looking forward to when we get to do this all over again... minus this particular Boy Scout Troop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Muskrat; 02-04-2013 at 23:38.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great time.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12