Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I don't have another CCF pad, where could I get one and how much are they?. My plan is to get inside of the WM bag and then feed the Slumberjack over my hammock. and my WM bag which provides plenty of room for the WM bag to loft. Inside the hammock I will lay on the prolite 3, and plan on putting a space blanket inside the Slumberjack and when slid up over me and the hammock should provide another wind block layer for the upper half of my body. Since the foot box is thin on my WM, I'll have my patagonia jacket over my feet and cinched down. I plan on hanging the MacCat as low as possible so to get close to the ground then use the ENO to create a wall on the head end of my tarp. Honestly the only "winter hanging" i'll ever do is these sort of hangs. I have problems with my lungs that keep me from hiking during winter, so I don't have alot of experience with winter hanging or camping for that matter.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    As best I can tell, you should do OK w/ that set of clothing.
    On the sleeping gear, I would bring a full length ccf pad to put under the inflatable.
    Are you planning to use one of the sleeping bags as an underquilt? I'm guessing that might be spreading your insulation a little thin.
    Are you bringing both tarps for wind protection?

On the food... along w/ some stuff like you mentioned, I like to bring stuff high in fat, that requires no cooking so I can graze, keeping fuel in the furnace, like nuts & jerky (more likely the nuggets, which are softer to chew).

Snug said Kit Kats work well in the cold. I have taken some candy bars that freeze so hard you could break your teeth on them
    That is what I was thinking on the pad, may need additional pad if very cold. And how will you keep them together- do you have an SPE?

And is that Slumberjack Thermalite Extreme your top insulation? What is the temp rating?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    I don't have another CCF pad, where could I get one and how much are they?. My plan is to get inside of the WM bag and then feed the Slumberjack over my hammock. and my WM bag which provides plenty of room for the WM bag to loft. Inside the hammock I will lay on the prolite 3, and plan on putting a space blanket inside the Slumberjack and when slid up over me and the hammock should provide another wind block layer for the upper half of my body. Since the foot box is thin on my WM, I'll have my patagonia jacket over my feet and cinched down. I plan on hanging the MacCat as low as possible so to get close to the ground then use the ENO to create a wall on the head end of my tarp. Honestly the only "winter hanging" i'll ever do is these sort of hangs. I have problems with my lungs that keep me from hiking during winter, so I don't have alot of experience with winter hanging or camping for that matter.
    I certainly understand that if you're not planning on doing a lot of winter camping, you don't want to buy a lot of stuff you don't really need.
    We do want to help you to have a good time on this trip, so maybe one of the others that's going early can bring you a ccf pad.
    Or if you wanted to have one yourself, you could get one from Wal-mart. About $10 or $15 I think???

And I'm sure some of the early folks will be more than glad to help you get set up in a protected spot w/ your hammock & tarps.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    OK, so you are planning on using the SJ bag PeaPod style? Have you tried that to see if it will fit OK? If so, that plus your pad may well be enough. Depending on the bottom thickness of the bag. The other thing you need to make sure about is that, when the SJ bag is closed, that you have enough room so that when you get in the hammock, it does not sag down and compress your bottom loft, while at the same not having a big gap under you.

Like SLOWHIKE said, you can get a WM pad for insurance- cheap- $5 or $10 bucks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I havn't totally decided on clothing yet, but as it is currently 3 degrees in my back yard right now I may just need to test today & see.
    The clothing PLAN is:
    (waist up)
    WB tee, underarmour long sleeve undershirt, Poly long sleeve undershirt, Long sleeve dress (type) shirt, fleece vest, nylon vest, fleece pull over, goretex rain jacket, small scarf, cotton / poly bandana, wool hat, "Shug's" wrist warmers, fingerless wool gloves, glove liners (worn as outer gloves).
    (waist down)
    Wool socks, winteralls panty hose, nylon tights, nylon rain / wind pants.

"Just in case" clothing: Nylon "members only" jacket, 2 cotton sweatshirts, cotton work pants, cotton work gloves.

Hammock stuff: 13.5' X 10' sil nylon tarp, nylon hammock sock, Ray way over quilt, Hybred hammock, JRB no sniv underquilt. I may use my Patomic underquilt between the JRB & the hammock as a "booster", & If it gets really cold I also have a CCF pad for under me & a fleece blanket for over me & a space blanket just in case.

I am also carrying a few air activated: hand warmers, toe warmers & BIG (all body?) warmers.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Oh I can get a walmart pad, didnt realize that was what most were using. Are those the Yoga pads, blue over in the sports section? I've keep my hammock hung pretty tight, so I haven't had any problems with it squashing the bottom loft, but I see your point in checking, and will today. As far as a SPE no I don't have one. I think I'll be ok, just going to plan on bringing some hand warmers and feet warmers and getting a ccf pad.

After the hang I'm thinking of cannibalizing the ENO dryfly since I can't seem to sell it, and making some end caps for my MacCat.
    Last edited by WrongTurn; 01-17-2009 at 07:54.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    [QUOTE= Are those the Yoga pads, blue over in the sports section? [/QUOTE]

No, they are the sleeping pads in the camping aisle. Two styles: 20" wide flat, 24" wide eggcrate. Get the flat. The eggcrate doesn't insulate as well.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Saw those blue, flat, 20" wide pads yesterday at Gander Mtn for $10.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge hammock.
    JRB 11x10 Cat tarp with prototype end panel
    JRB Mt Washington UQ
    JRB Old Rag Mtn as TQ
    Medium wgt wool base layer, top, bottom and socks
    possum down shull cap

If needed, JRB Down Hood, Bozeman vest, JRB Down sleeves worn as sleep socks.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Big thanks goes out to Peterpan for bringing my new hanging stuff to the mountain Friday. Getting rid of the ENO pro slapstraps which sag beyond human comprehension, for some JRB polypro straps, and also picked up a complete set of the STLs for my MacCat Deluxe. Dumping atleast another 10 ounces off my back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast