Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

A happy announcement

As many of you know, I had a car accident in 2004 that left my right leg partially paralyzed. I had tried every sort of hammock I could find, but was unable to get in and out of any without a lot of help and falling....

Apparently, small nerves can and do grow / regenerate - very slowly (like 1/4" a year). My largest quad (vastus lateralis) was nearly totally paralyzed because of small nerve damage - it has started to move voluntarily a bit and two other muscles are moving enough that I am actually able to train them. I am doing unsupported squats and lightly supported lunges for the first time since the accident and have been able to walk nearly 3 miles without my cane (paved surface). I also tripped on a recent day-hike and caught myself without using the cane - something I have never been able to do before and the reason I always hike with two canes.

So why am I announcing this in a hammock forum? Because I think I may be able to get in and out of a HH-style hammock now or very soon. I'm going to try this at the Speers campout in April if someone will let me try out their set-up.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    As many of you know, I had a car accident in 2004 that left my right leg partially paralyzed. I had tried every sort of hammock I could find, but was unable to get in and out of any without a lot of help and falling....

Apparently, small nerves can and do grow / regenerate - very slowly (like 1/4" a year). My largest quad (vastus lateralis) was nearly totally paralyzed because of small nerve damage - it has started to move voluntarily a bit and two other muscles are moving enough that I am actually able to train them. I am doing unsupported squats and lightly supported lunges for the first time since the accident and have been able to walk nearly 3 miles without my cane (paved surface). I also tripped on a recent day-hike and caught myself without using the cane - something I have never been able to do before and the reason I always hike with two canes.

So why am I announcing this in a hammock forum? Because I think I may be able to get in and out of a HH-style hammock now or very soon. I'm going to try this at the Speers campout in April if someone will let me try out their set-up.
    Great news! I'm really happy for you! I'll have at least a couple of setups with me at HS (HH and homemade) and you're more than welcome to use one!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's great, FD! I remember when you first joined WB...it was an inspiration that you had even decided to keep hiking! You won't have any problem at all finding a hammock to try out at Hot Springs.

I'm sure the recovery is tough...keep up the hard work.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I said it on WB and I'll say it here, GRATS!!!!

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    That' wonderful, FD. Keep up the hard work and praise the Lord.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post

Cool, dude. Happy Hanging.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    That heck with trying to explain why you announcing it here in the hammock forums. If it were me I would totally happy and yelling it at the top of my lungs. That is AWESOME. I am very happy for you.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that is great news indeed!!! praise the Lord for a recovering body!!!
    you've been greatly supportive to us here & i'm excited to hear that you should be able to manage a hammock soon! i know you've been hoping to be able to use a hammock for quite some time.
    you'll soon be entering into the most comfy phase of camping yet!!! ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's great. I will also have a couple of different setups at the campout and you are more than welcome to use one. You can even use my HH.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Oh WOW!!!! That is WONDERFUL news!!!! Keep working hard and before you know it, you'll be telling us you're planning to thru!
    This is my signature.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast