Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hammock Noob Needing Help

Hello Everyone,
    Will here, and I need hammock help. I know absolutely nothing about hammocks so I need to know what hammock I should start out with. I have my eye on Kammok, but I haven't seen any mention of them on here at all so I'm not sure about those. I've heard a lot about Eno and a few others, but I have no real reason to pick one over the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello Will. What is your intended use for the hammock? Car camping, Backpacking, Canoeing, Backyard lounging? That would help guide any advice.

ENO's are the most popular hammock that people start with probably due to market exsposure. The Double Nest is a great lounging hammock. I use mine in the back yard as well as car camping. In terms of camping hammocks, there are many choices so tell us what you are looking for.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Going by your other post I see that you're a scout, so I hardily recommend starting out the DIY route. Get yourself a 10 foot section of Rip Stop Nylon from your local sewing store, ask your mom or grandmom, or den mother, or Home Ec Teacher, or cute girl that has taken Home Ec, or whoever else you know that knows how to sew to help you hem the edges. A quick overhand knot (half-hitch) on each end and larks head long bit of webbing (polyproplene ratchet strap from walmart work well) and tie the other end around your trees. Viola! You're now hanging high and enjoying blissful rest above the ground.

You say you know nothing, well if you haven't already check out Shug's Hammock How-To for Noobs on youtube.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Take Your Time

Take some time reading the threads here on HF. Keep asking questions, but also learn how to use the search function. It's not that people don't want to answer your question, but more than likely, it's been asked a number of times.

There use to be only 3 main players in Hammocks. Speer, Hennessy & Clark. Now, they're every where, and they're very easy to make as well. However, there are big differences in them. The material, how long, how much weight it will hold, super lite with just the basics, to a hammock with everything.

As Bubba said, the more we know what you'll be using it for, and who you are helps us as well.

As far as the Kammok goes, I don't have any experience with it. I've read their information on their hammocks and it seems to be a quality hammock. I would look at either a Hennessy Hammock or a Warbonnet for starters and go from there.

And welcome.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    The kammock is similar to the grand trunk ultra light hammock... Which is where I started... They are decent hammocks but not the most comfortable because they are shorter and narrower than a lot of other options... The table cloth hammocks are cheap enough to make... For about $25 you can be hanging by making your own suspension either whoopies or UCRs... And buy some ratchet straps from Walmart and use the straps for tree straps...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    If a bug net is not necessary DIY is the way to go.

If a bug net is necessary, the grand trunk skeeter beater on amazon for less than $50 is a great starter hammock.

Unless you are a large 13 year old it should have ample room. They are also well built to stand up to some abuse. When my son was 10 he flipped over and was supported by the bug net without damaging the hammock.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    +1 for the skeeter beater if you'er 5 1/2 ft or less, if not go pro. Also check this out for DIY, it was my first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I always appreciate good young men/scouts taking the initiative to visit sites like this and to start hammocking!

If you decide to make one yourself, I'd be happy to donate some fabric to your cause. I have a bunch of camo-pattern ripstop on sale over at this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=67979

If you want to make your own, I'll send you 4 yards for free. Send me a PM if you're interested.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Check out Shugs Hammocking for Noobs crash course on youtube for all yer general hammock info:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8

also how to make your own gathered end hammock by Knotty:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks to everyone who replied to this topic. I love getting feedback on things. I don't think I'm going to go the D.I.Y. route, so thanks breyman for the donation but I wont be needing it for the time. To everyone else, I am 6 foot 2, 200 pounds so I’m a pretty big guy. I’d be using it for backpacking, car camping, general scout camping. I hope that information may help you out. So, any other suggestions/tips? I’d like some more in depth input on some of the hammocks you've recommended.

Will

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast