Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

For Canadian hangers: Hanging on Crown lands.

On another thread today the subject of stealth camping and Crown land camping came up and I thought I should mention, for the sake of others on these forums, that camping on Crown lands in Canada is legal.

The very reasons I've become interested in hammocking and just purchased my first hammock is that my wife and I go backpacking and canoe-tripping on Crown lands almost exclusively, rather than camping in parks. When camping on Crown lands, one often has to make a bush camp wherever one can and that often means one must pitch one's tent on whatever flatt-ish and level-ish ground one can. So hammocking is particularly well-suited to camping in areas where there are no existing campsites or suitable terrain for pitching a tent.

Over the years we've had friends and fellow camping enthusiasts ask us what Crown land is and how one goes about finding Crown land on which to hike or camp, I've made two instructional videos about crown land and how to find it.

Here are the links for any who are interested in this subject:

Part 1: Crown Land Camping - What is it and why do it? http://youtu.be/SHOVMz_FmFA

Part 2: How to Locate Crown Land in Ontario http://youtu.be/snbMdL0ZK1M

Hope this helps,
    -Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I am interested in this. But for myself, and after speaking with some fellow ontarian HF members, I believe that the lands. Are too far for me to enjoy on a more regular basis. But I will tune in to see your vids.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks for posting. I'll have to check out the links later.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I am interested in this. But for myself, and after speaking with some fellow ontarian HF members, I believe that the lands. Are too far for me to enjoy on a more regular basis. But I will tune in to see your vids.
    If you go to Algonquin PP at all, there is crown land that is actually a closer drive in terms of travel time than getting to most anywhere in the park.

Pine Martyn - HaHa Now I know where you're hanging out!!

I've got some of the prettiest crown land you'll ever see just a few minutes further drive than the video - let me know when you want to explore it!!

Beth

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While I don't forsee my self being able to get up there I found I your video very interesting. I had heard of Crown Lands before but had no idea what it is and the rules associated with its use.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    gunner, Crown Land is the Canadian version of public land.
    Those are some very informative videos Pine Martyn. Luckily it's reversed up here. YOu have to search around for the small sections of private land.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Good service Martin. I first saw them when you put them on Wintertrekking,,,or MyCCR,,can't remember. Anyway i realized how i don't even think about it. Almost all the land up the Little Slocan Valley where i am is Crown Land. I just get out my hiking poles or snowshoes and go. It kind of never occurred to me that other folks would have to search it out but of course in the east that would be true in some places. In fact in many places that might be true. Glad i can just get up and go.

Hope your getting some descent winter Martin. We've been in a messy warm trend but i hear its getting cold again by the weekend.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    awesome videos! There's TONS of Crown Land up here, just waiting to be explored. Can't wait for summer now : )
    Debi

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Hey Martin .... nice video's.
    On a couple of occasions that I've been able to "enjoy" crown land (not all), they have been less that favourable. This is a great way to get to untouched and mostly prestine lands for a great price (FREE!), but there are hazzards with it.
    You mention in the video that there is often garbage laying around in the PP sites. This may be true but only on crown land have I seen busted up coolers, lazy boy chairs and massive fire pits to name a few issues. This kind of large garbage is easy to drag in with a sled or ATV .... which is why you won't find it in a PP. To say it has never (or will never) happen in a PP would be very naive of me.
    At the end of my last camping trip to crown land, we returned to the truck to find it vandalized and a few items stolen. The OPP said it was common for the locals to search for these spots because the know that nobody will be returning to the vehicle at any time soon. The PP are, at the very least, patrolled on a regular basis. Again, to say it doesn't happen at a PP would be silly of me.
    I'm not saying stay away from crown land .... but rather .... don't discount the back-country of a PP where you don't hear the drone of ATV's or sleds that are also using the same land. It is way to much work to haul a lazy boy into the back-country of a PP
    A couple last thoughts .....
    Don't leave anything of value in your vehicle if you are going to be away for any length of time. Not everyone is a thief, but a vehicle that is unattended for a couple days is an easy target.
    Don't leave any food in the vehicle .... no rangers means no idea where the bears are and bears make short work of car windows.
    Be safe .... it is legal to hunt on or adjacent to crown land.

Don't take this as a slam to your comments but as an addition (besides if we make it sound too good ..... it will get as busy as the PP's in the summer .... then where will we go????).
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodster View Post
    Hey Martin .... nice video's.
    On a couple of occasions that I've been able to "enjoy" crown land (not all), they have been less that favourable. This is a great way to get to untouched and mostly prestine lands for a great price (FREE!), but there are hazzards with it.
    You mention in the video that there is often garbage laying around in the PP sites. This may be true but only on crown land have I seen busted up coolers, lazy boy chairs and massive fire pits to name a few issues. This kind of large garbage is easy to drag in with a sled or ATV .... which is why you won't find it in a PP. To say it has never (or will never) happen in a PP would be very naive of me.
    At the end of my last camping trip to crown land, we returned to the truck to find it vandalized and a few items stolen. The OPP said it was common for the locals to search for these spots because the know that nobody will be returning to the vehicle at any time soon. The PP are, at the very least, patrolled on a regular basis. Again, to say it doesn't happen at a PP would be silly of me.
    I'm not saying stay away from crown land .... but rather .... don't discount the back-country of a PP where you don't hear the drone of ATV's or sleds that are also using the same land. It is way to much work to haul a lazy boy into the back-country of a PP
    A couple last thoughts .....
    Don't leave anything of value in your vehicle if you are going to be away for any length of time. Not everyone is a thief, but a vehicle that is unattended for a couple days is an easy target.
    Don't leave any food in the vehicle .... no rangers means no idea where the bears are and bears make short work of car windows.
    Be safe .... it is legal to hunt on or adjacent to crown land.

Don't take this as a slam to your comments but as an addition (besides if we make it sound too good ..... it will get as busy as the PP's in the summer .... then where will we go????).

No offense taken from your feedback Jodster. In fact I will echo a number of the points you raised.

1) During hunting season, wear hunting colors.

2) Don't leave valuables in your car. Leave your car empty, with doors locked, and the glove box and storage compartments open and visibly empty to signal that there is nothing of value within. Some people leave a note on the dash saying "Gone fishing, back shortly", but I've never done. We have never had a problem and have never met anyone who's had a problem with theft or vandalism.

3) Don't leave food in your car, whether in a park or on Crown lands. Jodster is absolutely correct about bears and car windows. A friend of mine had his car broken into by a nuisance bear at the same trail head in Algonquin park twice in two consecutive years. His driver side window had been pulled out, his front seats torn to shreds, and the center of his steering wheel got gnawed off. Seems the bear had figured out how to get it's claws between the rubber seal at the top of the windows and shatter the glass by pulling hard on the glass with his claws. My friend's vehicle was one of 18 cars broken into by one bear on that long weekend. My friend (a former canoe guide in Algonquin) knew not to leave food in his car, but it would seem this bear had become so used to finding food in cars that he was systematically ripping out the windows and crawling into every car he could. A human-habituated bear is a bad thing. I worry less about bears when on Crown lands than when I'm in provincial parks.

4)I will differ with you on the vandalism issue. Cars are routinely targeted by thieves in our provincial parks, which is why park officials patrol them. Thieves go where they know there will be cars loaded with goodies they can easily re-sell, such as cameras, phones, and camping gear. Trail heads and the canoe put-ins of parks are perfect places for opportunistic thieves looking for loads of cars parked side by side to break into. Every summer dozens and dozens of people have their windows smashed and their vehicles rifled through by petty thieves looking for easy pickings in Algonquin park. It doesn't stop me from parking and camping there, so I'm not worried about parking on the side of a dirt road in the country where scarcely a soul will go by and theft is statistically less likely. Can it happen? Sure. Is it likely...no.

5) Regarding trash: I have seen truly horrific crap left behind on both Crown land and in our provincial parks, including the interior of Algonquin. But you're correct that any Crown land which is ATV accessible is apt to have more crap left on it. The same goes for Crown land waterways that are accessible to motor boats. There's just something about travel by motorized vehicle that brings out the lazy people who are willing to haul in heavy containers (bottles, coolers, etc) when full, but can't be bothered to haul them out when empty. Here's a photo of me of me, my wife, and a friend cleaning up a site we paddled past in a park in the Kawartha area.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...incialPark.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...e/egg_0057.jpg

Nice, eh?

Thanks for your input on this. All the points you raised are relevant considerations for anyone interested in Crown land camping.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast