WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing

Jarbidge/New River Question

I got my first UQ last week, the Jarbidge, and I love it, but it's got me thinking about the next one. I had to try it out the day it came, and I did in my back yard.

That's not exactly my setup, this is the next day after I put my daughter's hammock up so she could try it out. I was using the same tarp, a WL tadpole, but pulled in tight, and my WBBB. I also had a blue foam pad and my ledge featherlite 20 deg. bag. I slept great until I was dreaming about everything making my feet cold. I was complaining to everyone about it in my dream. I was walking barefoot in snow. That's when I decided to come in. Weather channel app showed 17 degrees with no wind, and I had made it until 4 a.m. before giving up.

Long story short, I'm a convert. I've been lurking for over a year, and I just couldn't believe that the quilts were as good as everyone said. Lesson learned. But I want to keep my toes warm.

So, my question: will a New River long with the apex insulation pack down close in size to the Jarbidge with the standard insulation?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Might want to drop Paul a line at Arrowhead - bet he could give you a proper reply nice and quick!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by widdors View Post

So, my question: will a New River long with the apex insulation pack down close in size to the Jarbidge with the standard insulation?

Set up looks great and glad to hear it was so warm.

The New River is enough wider and longer that no even with APEX it won't pack to as small as the Jarbidge. The APEX would help to get it down closer to that size but not quite there. APEX will get you about 10-15% better compression.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7 / HH ULBA / GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    SWT JRB 8x8/Poncho
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Leighs/HHSS
    Suspension
    7/64 and 2mm WS
    Images
    I certainly wouldn't want to discourage you from buying an additional UQ, because you can never have too many of those but I recommend down booties to supplement your existing foot insulation.

I wear them whenever it is getting down below 30 and my feet stay toasty warm in my TQ footbox with just a small foam pad underneath.

I was at the NJ Winter hang last weekend with an overnight low in the single digits and my feet never got cold.

I have the ones in the link below, I took my time and found them on sale for like $25.

http://www.campmor.com/sierra-designs-moccasin-men.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=49766BLKS&ci_gpa=pla&ci _kw={keyword}

Just some food for thought.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Set up looks great and glad to hear it was so warm.

The New River is enough wider and longer that no even with APEX it won't pack to as small as the Jarbidge. The APEX would help to get it down closer to that size but not quite there. APEX will get you about 10-15% better compression.
    What I'm hoping
    is that with the apex it would be maybe 10-25% bigger, is that a realistic expectation? If it's twice as big packed down I need to rethink it.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunt87 View Post
    I certainly wouldn't want to discourage you from buying an additional UQ, because you can never have too many of those but I recommend down booties to supplement your existing foot insulation.

I wear them whenever it is getting down below 30 and my feet stay toasty warm in my TQ footbox with just a small foam pad underneath.

I was at the NJ Winter hang last weekend with an overnight low in the single digits and my feet never got cold.

I have the ones in the link below, I took my time and found them on sale for like $25.

http://www.campmor.com/sierra-designs-moccasin-men.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=49766BLKS&ci_gpa=pla&ci _kw={keyword}

Just some food for thought.
    I'd love some booties, but I might be allergic to down. I did a highly scientific experiment of wearing my buddy's down coat. I didn't sneeze, but I did get itchy eyes and itchy skin. But I could just be allergic to my buddy and his dirty coat. Plus, I'd like to have a second quilt for my daughter to use. She fits in the jarbidge perfectly. I would also be able to stack them for winter.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by widdors View Post
    What I'm hoping
    is that with the apex it would be maybe 10-25% bigger, is that a realistic expectation? If it's twice as big packed down I need to rethink it.
    25% is probably pretty close. Even with the standard insulations there not double in size difference. Put it this way The APEX NR could be squished to fit into the stuff sack you got with the Jarbidge...it would be a snug fit rather than a roomy fit like the Jar is now but it would fit in there.

I'd love some booties, but I might be allergic to down.
    There is a huge range in the grades and cleanliness of down. What most folks are allergic to is not the down but the dust and dander that is on/in the down if it is not thoroughly cleaned. Hi-Grade down like we use in our socks and down quilts are factory cleaned far more than what you will find in most gear that's made overseas with little to no control over the cleaning process as apposed to what the down producers in the US follow.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    25% is probably pretty close.
    Perfect! It's on my wish list, but I probably won't be able to talk the wife into it until my birthday.

There is a huge range in the grades and cleanliness of down. What most folks are allergic to is not the down but the dust and dander that is on/in the down if it is not thoroughly cleaned.
    Excellent point, dust is my number one allergen, and dander can be up there depending on the animal. Wearing my buddies coat I was suspicious if it was the down, or even something on the coat. I just hate to shell out for down just to be miserable because of allergies. Better to be cautious. I think I might have to try a pair of the flame thrower booties. But there are too many other things I want to pick up from you first.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You will be toasty warm in a full size New River quilt, and the Apex, like Paul said, will get you a few more degrees of warmth and will compress more even. The New River Quilt is a awesome full length quilt. Good luck in your hangs.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Interesting that the New River will 'fit' into the Jarbidge stuff sack. I love my Jarbidge and am considering adding a New River but don't really want to increase the pack size of my UQ past that of the Jarbidge sizing.

Does anyone have a pic that they can post of the Jarbidge in its stuff sac next to a New River in its stuff sac for comparison?

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    I gues I'll find out since I just ordered a New River.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast