Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.

Fog and quilt saturation..

Howdy all.. Lookin to cover all bases, have a uqp on the way thinkin it would be perfect for those mornings or days with thick fog to keep my quilt dry..
    Also thinkin my Black birds no seeum netting would work pretty well to do the same for my tq?
    What are your personal experiences on this? I am all ears...... Or eyes........
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In Sweden, where I do my camping, this is an issue on most mornings. If it has rained the night before, you barely see the ground because of the mist.

I bought a 2qzq uq protector as a first step, and also I invested in a new uq from HammockGear with dwr - perhaps the dwr is enough on its own, but I wouldn't count on it.

Haven't been able to test it yet in those conditions though, so can't report any experience except for the absolutely soaked uq I wound up with before....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Dwr on the quilts does a surprisingly good job, HG being a good example. I've had blowing rain dripping from my UQ and was amazed how well it resisted absorbing into the down.

David

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Dwr on the quilts does a surprisingly good job, HG being a good example. I've had blowing rain dripping from my UQ and was amazed how well it resisted absorbing into the down.

David

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    For the fog you are talking about the DDP with the JRB Weather Shield mod is the way to go, whether protecting a UQ or a TQ...It is the most breathable approach.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've camped 2000' directly above the Puget Sound, with clouds coming in. We couldn't hardly take a photo with the flash as all we got was the water moisture. The rain blew in with it, soaking my HG UQ. The DWR did a pretty good job; however, with all the water, the down still got soaked. With the clouds, the moisture went in sideways or even up, coating everything.

A good tarp with the doors closed (like my Superfly) will stop a lot, but I got a 2QZQ UQP and it really adds a level of protection. In addition, I found that it adds about 10* (when combined with my DangerBird's overcover). I would think that a sock would do about as much.

I saw a video of the HangnOutDerigible on YouTube, which seemed like a good idea (part Cuben Fiber/Breathable Cuben Fiber sock).

What about Dridown or DownTek in the quilt, do you think that would be more effective. It would be interesting to see if that worked out better. Now if only someone made top/under quilts with the new hydrophobic down that we could try our in heavy fog/rain conditions.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I've camped 2000' directly above the Puget Sound, with clouds coming in. We couldn't hardly take a photo with the flash as all we got was the water moisture. The rain blew in with it, soaking my HG UQ. The DWR did a pretty good job; however, with all the water, the down still got soaked. With the clouds, the moisture went in sideways or even up, coating everything.

A good tarp with the doors closed (like my Superfly) will stop a lot, but I got a 2QZQ UQP and it really adds a level of protection. In addition, I found that it adds about 10* (when combined with my DangerBird's overcover). I would think that a sock would do about as much.

I saw a video of the HangnOutDerigible on YouTube, which seemed like a good idea (part Cuben Fiber/Breathable Cuben Fiber sock).
    Did you have the Superfly during that fog event when every thing got wet? What about the 2QZQ UQP, have you found that to block the fog adequately? Is it Sil-nylon or breathable?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    A silnylon weathershield does a good job on the UQ, the netting on the BB does help but if you're out for days you're gonna notice the damp getting in.

I've never worked out a total fog solution, it's a pain for extended hammock camping

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    A silnylon weathershield does a good job on the UQ, the netting on the BB does help but if you're out for days you're gonna notice the damp getting in.

I've never worked out a total fog solution, it's a pain for extended hammock camping
    Thanks everyone for the replies.. Shewie.. Spot on sir.. .. Thanks so much..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast