Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit

Muslin first, Ripstop second

Being a geek and all *sheepish grin* I do a little sewing to make garb for my daughter and I for renaissance faires (yes, I'm THAT kind of geek) and one of the tricks I've picked up along the way is to first make a sample or test model out of cheap fabric. I figure with all the thread injector noobs floating around the forum it might not be a bad idea to bring up the idea.

I realize there's quite a bit difference between constructing a form fitting corset and say... a set of doors. However, when it comes to cutting the fabric and you've misjudged a length by 10 or more inches you may have just wasted several dollars ($5-$15/yrd) worth of fabric (ripstop) that could have been used for something else (stuff sack).

I keep a steady supply of muslin on hand because the cheap stuff can be picked up for $.99/yrd or less. Also, places like Hancock Fabrics and Hobby Lobby will have a remnant or clearance section where you can often find something suitable for a couple bucks. It may not have the same stretch or feel as silnylon or ripstop, but it's a cheap learning tool that can provide an accurate and flexible pattern for later projects.

Good luck and happy sewing, er... thread injecting!

EDIT: Also check Goodwill and Yard Sales. Both good suppliers of cheap sheets!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    It does sound like a good idea and I have done so - though admittedly sparingly. I find that it feels almost as if doing two of the same project and only one usable (and I barely have the time for one!!). For the real difficult ones, this would probably be the way to go for me.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

This doesn't make sense for something simple that needs to be stressed (hammock). However, it's the right idea for adapting a more complicated pattern that I'll (hopefully) use many times, like outerwear. I like the idea of making a permanent fabric pattern rather than trying to preserve fragile, poorly-adapted paper patterns.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FBG View Post
    Being a geek and all *sheepish grin* I do a little sewing to make garb for my daughter and I for renaissance faires (yes, I'm THAT kind of geek) and one of the tricks I've picked up along the way is to first make a sample or test model out of cheap fabric. I figure with all the thread injector noobs floating around the forum it might not be a bad idea to bring up the idea.

I realize there's quite a bit difference between constructing a form fitting corset and say... a set of doors. However, when it comes to cutting the fabric and you've misjudged a length by 10 or more inches you may have just wasted several dollars ($5-$15/yrd) worth of fabric (ripstop) that could have been used for something else (stuff sack).

I keep a steady supply of muslin on hand because the cheap stuff can be picked up for $.99/yrd or less. Also, places like Hancock Fabrics and Hobby Lobby will have a remnant or clearance section where you can often find something suitable for a couple bucks. It may not have the same stretch or feel as silnylon or ripstop, but it's a cheap learning tool that can provide an accurate and flexible pattern for later projects.

Good luck and happy sewing, er... thread injecting!

EDIT: Also check Goodwill and Yard Sales. Both good suppliers of cheap sheets!
    Yes! I learned what little skills that I have by killing a lot of innocent bed sheets. Great point! It works.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tarps don't need to be fit. That's the only difference. For prototypes... yeah use cheap stuff instead of the silnylon.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I agree with the OP and have a roll of muslin...but if you want to go really cheap, use napkins, paper towels and notebook paper to work out the details.

Mock-up of three layer IX UQ corner (paper towel and napkin)...

IMG_1747 (Medium).JPG

First attempt at square bottom stuff sack with handle (napkin)...

IMG_1766 (Medium).JPG

Hex tarp and beak scale model (writing paper)...

IMG_1708 (Small).JPG

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    I learned what little skills that I have by killing a lot of innocent bed sheets.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    Yes! I learned what little skills that I have by killing a lot of innocent bed sheets. Great point! It works.
    Quote Originally Posted by FBG View Post
    Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    After my first bed sheet kill, I realized that I didn't have the "stomach" for it. That's when I switched to the paper products...they're so small and easy to dispatch...barely a squeal when cut and stabbed.

• + New Posts