A little help, please!

My backyard cold weather hammock test bombed last night. I was fine until 2am. But after I got up to use the bathroom, something shifted/changed in the underquilt. I had gaps at my shoulders and butt. I tried repeatedly to fix it, but finally went into the house at 4am.

Any suggestions? I only a few weeks to figure this out before a week of packing in Shawnee National Forest.

I'm using a GT SkeeterBeeter hammock (not the "Pro" model). It's flipped upside down this time of year to keep the mosquito netting out of the way. The underquilt is a JRB Greylock 3. Temps only bottomed out at 37F, with a light, steady wind. (No tarp used this time.).

Like I said, all was fine until I got up to pee.

I have a grey lock 3 as well, haven't had too much trouble with it, although I did notice that it can tend to bunch up a bit, and shift sometimes as well.

I just recently changed the suspension on my my Washington 4. I ran shock cord though the side channels, but instead of doing it like the grey lock, I used 2 pieces of shock cord, 1 for each side channel. So I ran a piece of shock cord through, tied a loop in one end of the shock cord, but made sure the loop on the quilt was in the loop, then made sure I cut it so that when I tied the other side the shock cord was a bit shorter than the quilt. Not too much shorter, just enough so that when you pull on the corners, the shock cord lifts the sides up and keeps them up, but also makes sure you get maximum length of of the quilt, as I stretches out the quilt fully. So repeat for both sides, then add a bit more shock cord from loop to loop with a cord lock for adjustment.

The plus is it maximizes the length of the quilt and keep the sides up really nice, the minus is you can't reach back and slide the quilt back and forth to cool off if you need to.

Like I said though, I did it to my winter quilt.

First time i tested time on my BMBH (newest version) and all I had to do was micro carabiner it to the quilt loops provided, and it fit like a glove, with the sides of the quilt up nice and tight.

Mark

Images
    check out the quilt hooks by Dutch.

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/feat...e-quilt-hooks/

videos at the bottom of the page. Dutch makes high quality, well tested stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB single 1.7
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    webbing
    i use a piece of shock cord to pull the butt section tighter to me. Simple fix for my slacking UQ

I had the same issue with my under quilt as well. I attached grosgain loops at the center edge to make sure there were no gaps. You may want to have someone look over your setup while in the hammock to check for unexpected air gaps.

• + New Posts