Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Okay. How did I miss this thread?!? Great work dblhmmck.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Okay. How did I miss this thread. Great work dblhmmck.
    Yeah ... me as well. Terrific work!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    What would constitute a hammock fiasco? Ending up in the wrong person's hammock?

Wow, you do nice work. I still love the pics of your old hammock/rainfly combo and look at them often - you have the coolest, most artistic looking gear (outside of the BB, of course!) The shape of this is similar to a Clark Vertex, from what I can gather.
    Thanks FishinFinn, Headchange4U, and Shug!

Fiasco= HEAVY rain (now I know how desert varnish is formed), wet girlfriend on the ground, and me laughing- bad combo.

And yes, the hammock is similar in shape to the Vertex, but quite different. I was working on my design for over a year before the Vertex came out. The Vertex seems to keep the occupants further apart, where sharing one quilt doesn't look practical. A difference in design intention seems to be that my hammock is designed for couples who want to share body heat, not for just any two hikers who may want to take shelter under one tarp.

Just wait until I post about the radical redesign of a bugnet for this hammock. It should be close to 12 ounces, and keep the fabric away from occupant's faces, and allow easy entry/exit without zippers.

Oh, BTW, I can still take one more customer on the art/hammock bundle , but combining with a double hammock costs a bit extra. PM me for details. Cheers,

Victor/dblhmmck

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I'm still trying to pictures how you would make one quilt work without having air pockets with nothing insulating them. Particularly where the hammock separates and there's no DAM underneath the middle. Are you going to have a large quilt that is cut about halfway down in the middle or how will this work?

I'm still trying to pictures how you would make one quilt work without having air pockets with nothing insulating them. Particularly where the hammock separates and there's no DAM underneath the middle. Are you going to have a large quilt that is cut about halfway down in the middle or how will this work?
    I was speaking of one quilt as a top quilt. I will be adding some quilt wings to my quilt, giving about 7" of material along each lateral edge to keep it tucked in.

...where the hammock separates and there's no DAM underneath the middle.
    The only place this occurs is above the shoulder so it appears to be a non-issue.

I chose Stephenson DAMs for their 26" width. Together they fill the entire width of the DoubleDouble, and seem to press together in the middle without creating cold spots (I will test further to confirm this).

The hammock can also be set up on the ground and will hold the two pads together without cold spots in this situation also.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    I was speaking of one quilt as a top quilt. I will be adding some quilt wings to my quilt, giving about 7" of material along each lateral edge to keep it tucked in.

The only place this occurs is above the shoulder so it appears to be a non-issue.

I chose Stephenson DAMs for their 26" width. Together they fill the entire width of the DoubleDouble, and seem to press together in the middle without creating cold spots (I will test further to confirm this).

The hammock can also be set up on the ground and will hold the two pads together without cold spots in this situation also.
    Cool that answered that then. I just thought you had DAMs that weren't as wide as that.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    And yes, the hammock is similar in shape to the Vertex, but quite different. I was working on my design for over a year before the Vertex came out. The Vertex seems to keep the occupants further apart, where sharing one quilt doesn't look practical. A difference in design intention seems to be that my hammock is designed for couples who want to share body heat, not for just any two hikers who may want to take shelter under one tarp.
    Victor/dblhmmck
    Yep, I know you were developing yours for a long time - I remember much older posts with you talking/ruminating on this. A true, comfortable double hammock is the holy grail for couples who want to share their roof when camping/hiking, and has always been a topic when people talk about switching from tents to more comfortable ways to spend a night in the woods. A lot of people have been thinking over this issue - it's awesome that you have apparently solved it, and solved it independently of any other designs. You had nothing else to go on while you were working, whereas a lot of these other designs are just mods of existing hammocks. Yours is a whole new animal.

I wonder how many Hammock manufacturers get design ideas from us (HF members,) as much as we DIY and mod their designs to fit our uses. And since it is so hard to really see what Clark has done with the Vertex and nobody here seems to have one or want to review it, it is hard to compare. I love your setup - it seems like a true double under one body, rather than two bodies sharing the same space like the Vertex seems to be. Again, hard to say without actually seeing both. I know more about yours from the pictures you posted than I know going through Clark's website demo of the Vertex.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sooooo.....when we gonna see a tutorial on this hammock?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Y And since it is so hard to really see what Clark has done with the Vertex and nobody here seems to have one or want to review it, it is hard to compare.
    Oh, I WANT to review the clark - I'm just not willing to shell out that kind of cash.

Now, if Brandon could come up with a double Blackbird design....

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Now, if Brandon could come up with a double Blackbird design....
    Don't think that if he doesn't get bored and sales drop off a little so he can rest his thread injector, he won't be trying to figure that one out. Heck, he probably has a prototype in his garage now. (I'm going to raid that garage someday)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast