Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Double Double Bridge

I've picked up my old double hammock and have been putting some finishing touches on it. Weight of the hammock body is 34 ounces, but I am hoping to save weight, when hiking with my girlfriend, by using a single tarp and a double wide single quilt. I may have to add some type of quilt wings to keep it tucked around both of us.

The hammock utilizes two head spreaders of 36", which may be substituted with my hiking poles. I will carry a single 32" JRB pole at 3.5 ounces for the foot spreader. My three tree huggers weigh 4.5 ounces combined.

The double bottom accommodates two WarmLite DAMs for bottom insulation.

A central cord attaches to the end of the foot suspension triangle. It meets the hammock fabric near the knees. I am planning on closing the bottom of the quilt around this central cord. I will have to see if it gets in the way of our feet (so far it seems OK). The central cord attaches to webbing near the head, where it splits into two 5" extensions, one for the inside tip of each of the head spreader bars (or poles). The apex of the head end suspension triangle are held together at a fixed distance (still tweaking this adjustment).

So, it looks like we can lie close, but not be jammed together in this. It is an idea I have been working on for a long time. I think I am getting close. Any thoughts or questions from you?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Holycrap! nice work!

How badly does it rock when one of you gets out?

Thanks Mustardman!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I gave up on using only two points to suspend a hammock for two people. I have two attachment points at the head, plus one at the feet. For a total of three attachment points. The head end attachment points need to be at least five feet apart.

So, there is hardly any sway, and one person can lie comfortably in it- although there is a better hang when two are in it.
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 01-17-2009 at 21:13. Reason: clarity

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    WOW... that's nice!!! I think you may have a winner!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    How does it act when one person gets up & the other stays?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i was wondering the same thing.

victor, that is pretty great looking! looks like it works very well. how tall is the wall between 2 people?

what are you guys laying on?

looks like the head spreader bars are not "straight" end to end, there's an angle between them, can it vary, like if the trees were closer together or farther apart?

so you're using 2 trees at the head end, are you using use 3 suspension triangles as well, 1 at the foot end and 2 at the head end?

really great looking design, how does it feel, any different than a single?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    outstanding! Working on a double hammock to get Mrs Grizz in the air too is a project I'd pegged for next year....this will make it sooo much easier...thanks for sharing

Grizz

Slowhike asks :
    It swivels very slightly, I would estimate five degrees. It causes one to feel the central cord raise.
    Warbonnet asks:...
    looks like it works very well. how tall is the wall between 2 people? what are you guys laying on?
    Thanks! The "wall is about as high as the thickness of the pads- between 2" and 3" is my guess. We are on thick Warmlite DAMs inflated pretty firmly.

looks like the head spreader bars are not "straight" end to end, there's an angle between them, can it vary, like if the trees were closer together or farther apart?
    Yes, there is an angle between the head spreader bars orientation, and it gives a bit of wiggle room when hammock occupants are changing positions. But when this design has been finalized, that spreader bar angle will not vary. The two apexes are a fixed distance apart approximately four feet right now. Adjusting this distance has a direct effect on the tension of the lateral edges in relationship to the tension of the central cord. I am going to add about two inches from this length next time I try it to loosen the central cord slightly.

so you're using 2 trees at the head end, are you using use 3 suspension triangles as well, 1 at the foot end and 2 at the head end?
    Yeah, I don't believe any more that a double hammock would ever be stable between only two trees, especially when one person gets up.

really great looking design, how does it feel, any different than a single?
    I know it is different, hard to describe exactly how at this early stage. But it is kind of like the first time you slept asym on a gathered end hammock is different.

Grizz says:
    outstanding! Working on a double hammock to get Mrs Grizz in the air too is a project I'd pegged for next year....this will make it sooo much easier...thanks for sharing
    Thanks a lot Grizz! I am glad to hear you have plans for something similar. Let me know if I can clarify any design aspects that might contribute to your design process.
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 01-17-2009 at 23:11. Reason: sp?

Images
    so it's a dl?

did you see the thread where the guy was hanging 2 end gathered hammocks with 3 trees, and he could use head trees much farther apart but still keep the head ends of the hammocks close by using a length of cord to hold a max width between the lines? kinda like an anti-spreader bar.

Images
    so did you basically just use a much deeper curve for the central arc?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast