DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    WOW! Now that's the kind of design that could send me over the edge into bridge hammock making.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    so it's a dl?

did you see the thread where the guy was hanging 2 end gathered hammocks with 3 trees, and he could use head trees much farther apart but still keep the head ends of the hammocks close by using a length of cord to hold a max width between the lines? kinda like an anti-spreader bar.
    Thanks for your comments and questions, Warbonnet Guy. I did see that thread on two hammock at fixed distances, and excuse me for forgetting that poster's name, because I did use his anti-spreader idea.

so did you basically just use a much deeper curve for the central arc?
    No, there is almost no central arc when the flat fabric halves are placed together. Here is what I did. I imagined two bridge hammocks lying at twelve or fifteen degrees to one another. It would overlap about 50% at the feet, to 0% slightly before the head end spreaders (at the level of the shoulders). I cut away the area of intersection. First I cut some shapes out of paper at 1/12th scale, and folded and taped them together. When I felt that I was close, I replicated these shapes in ripstop nylon.

Here is some more explanation for that central arc. Because the foot end cord attachment goes all the way to the suspention triangle apex, it is already lifting up at the feet. I thought if I made the cord attachment from that apex reach all the way to the level of the knees before disappearing into the hammock fabric, it would flex the feet downward. Or at least prevent any hyperextension of the knees, which it does. At the level of the shoulder the two hammock bodies diverge and allow that cord to start lifting up through two webbing attachment to reach the spreader poles. And that is what appears to be the reason for the central arc behaving the way that it does.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Wow! Outstanding! Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Warbonnet asked "So it's a dl?"

Sorry, I'm not sure if I answered your question, because I can't think of what "dl" is the abbreviation for.

Thanks Slowhike, Pedro, and Skinner for your supportive comments.

Images
    oh, i was just wondering if it was a structural double layer hammock, but it kinda looks like you sewed a pad pocket on there in the shape of your air mats.

dl

Oh yeah (of course), dl= double layer.

Well it's partially a structural dl. While it is true that there are pockets for the head and the foot to hold the pads. About 80% of the pad is supported by a fabric layer that is structurally sewn on to the main hammock body. The brownish layer is heavier fabric, 1.9, while the gray fabric is 1.1 nylon.

Because the heavier layer is on top and stretches less, I would think the great majority of weight is supported by this layer. While the stretchier lower layer ensures good contact of the pad, I would expect that it supports far less of the occupants weight. BTW this is the reverse of what I did on my compact wide hammock, and I am honestly not sure yet which approach will prove to be better.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow dblhmmck! I attempted to tackle a two person bridge but wasn't as successful. Wonderful work!

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Wow dblhmmck! I attempted to tackle a two person bridge but wasn't as successful. Wonderful work!
    Hey thanks, LostCause,

But you may have noticed by the way i began this thread that this was not my first attempt either.

In fact, about three years ago, a pretty good girlfriend broke up with me as a result of a hammock fiasco in Escalante. Thinking it may have been the gear that was to blame ,I resolved at that time to make a double hammock.

Well, I have a much better girlfriend now, and possibly a more compatible hammock to match. Life is good!

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    That's a great looking hammock! Now I've got to make a bridge hammock, and venture from there into a double of some sort.

As of right now, my wife enjoys her separate hammock, but I know that she would prefer something we could share comfortably.
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    a pretty good girlfriend broke up with me as a result of a hammock fiasco in Escalante.
    What would constitute a hammock fiasco? Ending up in the wrong person's hammock?

Wow, you do nice work. I still love the pics of your old hammock/rainfly combo and look at them often - you have the coolest, most artistic looking gear (outside of the BB, of course!) The shape of this is similar to a Clark Vertex, from what I can gather.
    Last edited by fin; 02-11-2009 at 12:26.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast