Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    ...my back was never cold. Can't say the same for my nose or feet. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep one's nose from freezing? ... Anyone have better ideas? If I could breath warmer air and not have my nose freeze, I might have been actually comfortable instead of just bearable....

I haven't done it myself, but I've read that sometimes joggers use one of the white, medical or construction mouth/nose dust covers. They're made to breath through, and they retain heat around your nose. I'm sure it would help, and they can't weigh very much.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl & Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD & Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    “”If I could breath warmer air and not have my nose freeze…””

My parka hood came off for sleeping.
    Wrapped boots in parka and stash under knees or used for pillow.
    Cinch face drawstring down to trap warm air,
    leave small opening to breath fresh air in through fur.
    Ice will collect on of fur
    Ice would collect on balaclava too but
    hood was less confining for me and more cozy for sleeping than balaclava.

New $4.95
    http://shop.unclesamsdeals.com/items...utm_medium=cpc

John

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I have a neoprene face mask that is pretty nice

Thanks for all the ideas. I used one of the super cheap construction/painting/dust masks. It's not much more than a shaped coffee filter with elastic around it. It covers nose, mouth and surrounding skin. Like the previous poster said, it holds in heat and warms the air at the same time. This worked really well actually. I pulled my bag around my head leaving not much more than a gap for my nose and mouth, mostly filled by this dust mask. Warm air, nice. This made a WORLD of difference with regard to comfort (as did the 12 degree rise in temp!). It also stays warm enough that it doesn't freeze and seems to breath fairly well (not get soggy). Feet still cold though, might be due to having them elevated a bit. Hot water bottle works to warm them up and get comfortable enough to fall asleep; but wake up later with cold feet (icy cold feet). That said though, I think I could weather just about any normal winter day in a North American Hammock. Now, I just have to buy my own. (Although my friend won't go winter camping, meaning he won't need his back until Spring)

Interesting thing... If I tie the rainfly higher, I seem to get quite a lot of ice build up on the inside of the weather shield. If I tie it very closely above the netting/weather shield then I get much less ice build up. Why?

Another mod to share... I like to read at night. I strung a line lengthwise inside the tent and hung a very small oil candle from it. I put a heat sync from an old PC as the top of the candle, so that it could radiate heat a bit (versus raising straight up to the roof). It heated up the interior quite a lot, enough that I could read without gloves on (after awhile). Of course, I kept the weather shield pulled back a bit for fresh air to get in. Light and heat, cool. The cocoon is pretty small, so it doesn't take much to heat it up.

I also found out that this military sleeping system works best if you DO NOT wear much clothes. Apparently, it has some inner liner in the bags that reflects radiant heat. If you wear much to insulate yourself, like layers of fleece, you'll defeat this feature. Anyway, that's how it was explained to me by an Army friend. I was a bit skeptical, but did as he said. I wore a thin layer of insulating pant liners (silks) and matching top. The weather was warmer than the really cold night before, but I have to say I think he was right, it seemed to have a plethora of heat inside. Pity the sleeping bag and system are so BIG. (it's got to be over 10 lbs with all the layers, and it's pretty large, even in it's stuff sack)

Let it snow, more more more!!! Your mileage may vary.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific report and results. In winter camping feet always seem to get cold at some point in the night. Try adding more socks, or take your down parka or vest on zip/snap it shut and slide that over your foot end. Seems to really boost foot warmth.
    Carry on with vigilance....
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    When my feet get cold at night in the proper rated sleeping quilt I always try taking my socks/booties off. More often than not my feet warm up. I put it down to sweaty feet and damp socks. Just another thought on the subject.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Rambinrev, Agreed. I took off my socks and just slipped my feet down into the bag. This seemed warmer, not scientific, but it felt that way. I also took a fleece vest and wrapped it around my bare feet, and it worked pretty well too. Nothing was 'warm', but bearable. The trees creek more in the winter, so it makes for some interesting sounds.

Bristolview, do I understand correctly that you're using a JRB Weathershield V2 as an overcover? I have one I'm considering using in this configuration in a cold weather trip in a few weeks. I'd love to hear more about how it works for you.

Jaiden,

No, I'm not using a JRB Weathershield V2 as an overcover. The weathershield I'm referring to is the tent like cover over the netting of the hammock. The topcover is just the Clark rainfly, all stock, no mods or special gear. Perhaps I referred to it incorrectly, I think Clark calls it the weathershield, or stormshield or something like that. It really adds quite a lot to the warmth of the hammock, cuts wind and such that flies around under the rainfly. If it gets too stuffy, just open it a little and all is good again. Love this hammock, can't wait to get my own.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12