WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps

NooB needs hammock recomendations

I've decided to give hammocks a try and I need recommendations for which hammock setup will best suit my needs. So here we; go I'm 250 lbs in the buff probably 270 lb hang weight with clothes, hammock, under and over quilts, pads, plus accessories. I'm mostly a side sleeper, sometimes on my stomach, and very rarely on my back. According to my wife I move around a lot throughout the night. I'm 6 foot tall with a long torso and short legs, wide shoulders and narrow hips. I carry a lot of my 250 lbs in the upper body. I have some trouble with my right knee and wear a brace on longer hikes. I'm not too concerned with weight since whatever hammock I try it will probably be lighter than my tent setup. I'm wondering if I should first try a bridge hammock or because of the higher cost maybe try a gathered end first? What do you guys think?

Thanks, WVwanderer

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing & rings
    Images
    I'm still a relative noob myself, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the ENO double nest. The inexpensive price initially drew me in, and I have had no regrets.

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    I like my HH expedition, comes with everything you need to rock and roll right out of the bag.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While I am a stomach sleeper in bed, I find I have no problem sleeping on my back (or sides) in a hammock. My main hammock for overnights is a BB.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Based on what you've described I think you could safely buy the RidgeRunner and never second guess it.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of "try before you buy".
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    Based on what you've described I think you could safely buy the RidgeRunner and never second guess it.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of "try before you buy".
    Maybe he should contact Warbonnet on the ridgerunner first as I think he'd be pushing the weight limit and being bigger on top, might be tight in the shoulder area.

I am about the same size as you. I first bought an ENO from REI, but recently switched to the longer Wilderness Logics Light Owl. There is a major difference! The Light Owl has a much flatter lay. It also comes with whoopie sling suspension, and tree hugger straps. After adding things up, the American made Wilderness Logics hammock costs less than the ENO, which is made in Vietnam...The light Owl also has a double 1.1 oz layered system that allows you to put your sleeping pad in between the layers, which isolates it from your body. This prevents the pad from slipping around when you are getting comfy...If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the light owl. Save Money, get a better hammock, and support an American company...

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    If I were you I would buy 4 yards of cheap fabric and make a gathered end hammock to find out what you like, I am a stimach sleeper but have no problem sleeping on my back in a hammock. You can experiment with different lengths and find out what works best for you. If you can't/dont want to sew then you could either just leave the selvage and it should last a while without fraying or buy one of the pre hemmed tablecloths. Also fairly sure you can't go wrong with any of the vendors here.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    The hennessy typically has a 250 pound limit. They may have a heavier duty model but the Exped asym is 250 pounds. I like my HH! I'm 6'02 and 200. I like the integrated bug net and the bottom entry in the summer. I've seen the eno used, but the suspension system looked like it sucked, with those big (heavy) carabiners and the giant bug net. I prefer the Hennessy rope/lashing system, although I understand you can switch suspensions out on most hammocks.
    I'm thinking of making my own "winter hammock" with no bug net and some Amstel lines, and using my hennessy tarp and tree straps. It shouldn't cost more than about $50
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I would highly recommend going to a group hang in your area (check the SE Trip Planning Subforum for hangs in WV and points south, the NE Trip Planning Subforum for hangs in PA and MD, and the MW Trip Planning Subforum for hangs in OH) before settling on a specific hammock. It'll give you a chance to look (and probably lie in; we're all pretty friendly about letting folks try gear out here) at various hammocks and see what might work for you.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts