Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles

underquilt or HHSS

Hi everyone. Im new to hammocks, bought my first one(ENO single) last spring and slept in it on 3-4 overnight trips in the summer here in PA. It had a seperate bug net and I got the pro fly raintarp with it. I love the system and slept much better than in a tent. I wanted to go lighter and just recently bought the HH explorer ultralight zip. I wanted the free cub for my son and when I inquired they said that deal was over, but they extended it to me anyway, awesome! I didn't use any underquilt or anything last summer, just a slumberjack synthetic 20° bag and I slept fine. I've been reading a lot of stuff on here and it seems like no one goes out without some kind of undercover. I want to keep my setup as simple as possible and don't want a lot of extra bulky parts. Most of my camping will be late spring,summer, maybe early fall, but the majority will probably be in the summer. My questions are:
    1-should I get a light underquilt say 35°-45°-50°? if so what are some decent ones?
    2-3/4 or full length I don't really want to have to carry something extra to put under my legs, but do your legs get that cold if you get a 3/4?
    3-Is the HHSS the answer to all of this should I get this and just bring it when I think I'll need it? Do you feel the pad around you on this system, I like the hammock because you don't feel anything and feel this sytem might defeat the purpose.
    Sorry for the long winded post, just excited and want to get everything in order for myself and my son!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I got the HHSS early this winter. I tested it out in the backyard at about -2C. I got a bit cool by morning. Otherwise I really like the system. Up here, even most summer nights get down to around 10C, so with nothing under you the cold seeps in pretty quick. We used a OCF pad and car window reflector in both our Hennessy's last summer. The pad and reflector were a bit of a pain due to them always shifting as well as folding over around you. The SS system does away with those problems completely.
    I will be getting a custom made underquilt as well, but that will be for some seriously cold weather camping.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

You said that you sleep fine with a 20º bag in the temperatures that you encounter. This sounds like you answered your own question.

The next question would be what does your son need. I might say the same gear, but with a closed cell foam pad just in case. If I were to use a pad I would use a lighter sleeping bag, at 50º and warmer I use a poncho liner or two.

I hope to hear your conclusions soon.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    I was looking at some other posts about underquilts and came across the Underground Quilts Zeppelin 40°. This looks like it may work for me, its about 17ounces has a full length model, looks really nice. Any opinions?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    My recommendation is to look for any "group hangs" in your area, or any other HF members in your area, and see what gear they've got that they'd be willing to setup and let you try out.

The HHSS works well for some, not so well for some others. UQ's are what everyone seems to prefer, but they're also not a REQUIREMENT. Pads are where we started at, and they do still work too.

The answer to your question depends on how you prioritize the major factors: cost, weight, bulk, ease of use.

Figure out what is your top priority, and the least most important factor, and that can help you figure out what the best FOR YOU would be.

• + New Posts