Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Since tree straps are second next on the construction list, this thread popping up is just wonderfully time sensitive..

Technically, which is stronger - a bar tack or a square with an x in given the same thread??

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    I've always used 4 bars and I’m up to two years without making a creator due to stitch failure. I’m a DIY obsessed individual so I’ve dropped for other reasons but never a tree strap popping. Being grounded is very "Zen" when you’re lying flat on back, looking up at the canopy and wondering how long you’re going to go without breathing. Ok, little over the top but, no matter how you stitch it up, I’d gear test over soft or padded ground.

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Stitching on Tree Straps

Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    I really like the way you did that loop. How's it holding up? What made you decide to do it that way?

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    I've always used 4 bars and I’m up to two years without making a creator due to stitch failure. I’m a DIY obsessed individual so I’ve dropped for other reasons but never a tree strap popping. Being grounded is very "Zen" when you’re lying flat on back, looking up at the canopy and wondering how long you’re going to go without breathing. Ok, little over the top but, no matter how you stitch it up, I’d gear test over soft or padded ground.

Those straps are pretty!

Yeah man, I have had some out in the weather since I made them, over some very soft ground. I am gonna see what happens with that. I have been laying in it every day or every other day. I am testing these for a hammock camping class project, so I DO NOT want them to fail under that circumstance. I would rather fall first. I think that they are good to go though. I did 4's and 5's. I am gonna try "x"s and box them in next time, but I have 20 sets of straps, so it may be a while before I make more.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Since tree straps are second next on the construction list, this thread popping up is just wonderfully time sensitive..

Technically, which is stronger - a bar tack or a square with an x in given the same thread??
    Sometime ago I found this on HF and saved the picture. This question on how to sew straps comes up every so often. If you only have a straight stitch machine, as I do, then the "W" pattern is very easy to do. I have done several this way without issue.

Like John Sawyer said, SYOS.

Otter, those are the prettiest straps I've ever seen. Sweet. We should expect no less from the one who has 4 hammocks in his media room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Sometime ago I found this on HF and saved the picture. This question on how to sew straps comes up every so often. If you only have a straight stitch machine, as I do, then the "W" pattern is very easy to do. I have done several this way without issue.

Like John Sawyer said, SYOS.

Otter, those are the prettiest straps I've ever seen. Sweet. We should expect no less from the one who has 4 hammocks in his media room.
    Detail Man! Thank you for that info. That is good stuff, there!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I like to use a contrasting color thread so if mine do start to come loose or show signs or wear it will easier to spot.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Re: Stitching on Tree Straps

I over killed mine lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    7/64" whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    If you only have a straight stitch machine, as I do, then the "W" pattern is very easy to do. I have done several this way without issue.
    This PDF of a caving publication called "Nylon Highway" indicates that the elongated "W" is strongest. Pages 12-15 include tests of several stitches.

I think I found the link via HF a while back, but not sure. I use the "W" with 1.5” polyester seatbelt webbing.
    Last edited by HangLow; 04-16-2013 at 23:49.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post

I've done the double box method, the parallel stitch method, and the W method. For me the parallel stitches are esiest to get right so that's what I do. I don't think that it matters much for our purposes as long as its all one continuous piece of thread. If you get at least 2 complete wraps around the tree most of the stess is on the strap itself in the first wrap so the stitching isn't carrying the full load.

I towed a car about 3 miles with my truck using only 1" polypro webbing and bowline knots. Had serious stress marks in the webbing at the knots afterwards but it worked in a pinch.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast