Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree w/ Youngblood on the likely 0F range of the Downmat 9...last year at Mt Rogers the Downmat 7 got me to 20F until I started getting CBS. So...unless it's hovering around 0F anything else on the underside of the hammock is extraneous hassle and weight. Also, the Downmat 7 is just thick enough for me to not use a SPE but I'm not a broad-shouldered guy...may work for you as well.

I think the base of your system for 0-20F should be the DAM underneath with bag+NS on top of you. If you're using the bag as a quilt, I'd put it over the NS; if you're zipping up the bag, put the NS on top.

Re: not needing another VB directly against the hammock, that's true. But an undercover hung loosely may give another pocket of dead air space below the pad...I think the wind is what made my Downmat 7 give me CBS, and a Garlington Taco type undercover likely would have given me 5-7 more degrees of comfort. So, only when you start feeling cold, use the Tyvek as an undercover. And only when you start feeling cold, use the poncho inside the hammock. But I bet it will have to be near 0F before you need either of those.

Bigger issue is making sure you have something warm on your head. A sleeping bag hood rated to 30F may not be enough at 0F, no matter what your other insulation is.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Bigger issue is making sure you have something warm on your head. A sleeping bag hood rated to 30F may not be enough at 0F, no matter what your other insulation is.
    That is good advise but I had to chuckle a bit at it. It is very true for me, but I don't have a lot of hair, apparently that can make a big difference... or so I heard.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    That is good advise but I had to chuckle a bit at it. It is very true for me, but I don't have a lot of hair, apparently that can make a big difference... or so I heard.
    Maybe my thinner hair ( along with less muscle mass- but countered by more fat?) is one reason why I don't tolerate cold as well as when I was a young mountaineer!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks all for your input! Appreciate it!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    It's true I have foot long, very thick hair and it keeps my head warm in as low as the 20s without so much as a hat or cheap thin beanie on.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    It's true I have foot long, very thick hair and it keeps my head warm in as low as the 20s without so much as a hat or cheap thin beanie on.
    Ah, youth ( I assume)! Regardless, lucky! I used to have long thick hair and a long thick beard to go with it!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ah, youth ( I assume)! Regardless, lucky! I used to have long thick hair and a long thick beard to go with it!
    Ya I have the beard to go with it as well : ) I'm pretty sure I got my dad's genes with my hair though, in which case it will stay thick into my 50s (and maybe later....my dad's hair is still thick) and won't even gray out for a while either.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    OK I made it to Mt. Rogers hang. It was 30 degrees Friday night with big wind gusts and about 10-14 degrees Sat. night, no wind. I actually was warmer Sat. night.

Friday it was quite warm during day (somewhere in 40’s) and I made the mistake of setting up my tarp too high in A-frame. I did tie the wind side shut. When I went to bed I had Deluxe 9 inside hammock with No Sniv used as top quilt tucked inside WM Summerlite bag. Wore long johns, down vest, JRB down sleeves and JRB down hat and even had heat packs in my socks. I was warm until a gust of wind hit and then I’d do a 2 second shiver. And the wind kept hitting. Pan told me if I got cold to put my sitpads on my sides. When I did this I did much better. Too bad I waited until 2 am to do it! (Too interested in listening to wind and coyotes howling.) Then I slept fine with earplugs in until 9 am next morning.

Sat. – I ate much better, Drank more water. I wasn’t tired from 6 hour drive. Took a hike that day. I felt much better all day. I hugged the fire a lot more and I restrung tarp until it touched the ground. 45 minutes before I went to bed I threw in a hot water bottle to heat up hammock.

Someone said it was about 10 degrees at shelter at 9 pm Sat. night. I did same setup with Deluxe 9 inside, No Sniv tucked into Summerlite bag, same clothing but I used my JRB modified DriDucks poncho as a quilt bivy on top of No Sniv. All of me was very warm except my butt was cold on DAM, even with hot water bottle on DAM for 45 minutes. I put 2 heat packs on my butt and was good to go. Slept solid from 9:30 pm until natured called at 2 am. Then slept solid until 6:30 am.

As so many say, there’s a lot more to keeping warm than just sleeping bags and clothing. I’m such a cold sleeper. Always jealous of those who sleep so warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12