WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

What is the most efficient setup for my gear?

Please help . . .

I have a free day today to fool with my gear and I’m trying to figure out the most efficient setup to see what the lowest temps I can get to at night. But I’m not sure how I should be using the different pieces . . . over cover on netting, undercover, vapor barriers, etc ????? Confused about where to put breathable material like Dri Duck poncho and where to put silnylon.

Here are the pieces to my setup.

Hennessy Backpacker with Zipper Mod #2 and cinch buckles & webbing
    JRB 11 x 12 tarp
    No Sniv – can use underquilt or topquilt
    Western Mountaineer Summerlite Sleeping Bag use as top quilt – rated 30 degrees
    Exped Down Mat 9 Delux
    ID 5 x 8 sil tarp
    Dri Ducks poncho with corner ties and velcro – can be used as weather shield undercover or sleeping bag bivy or hammock overcover
    Tyvek – soft kind 5 x 8 piece with corner ties. Can be rigged as undercover or overcover.

Here is the configuration I’ve been thinking about – is there something better? Tonight’s temps are going down to 14 with light wind. I will be backyard testing tonight.

Large tarp in low A-frame, wind end tied shut
    Inside hammock: DAM, WM bag, Dri Ducks Poncho used as Bivy
    Under the hammock: Sil tarp next to hammock as varpor barrier, No Sniv as underquilt,
    Tyvek sheet tied as overcover on netting.

One of my dilemmas is what is the best way to keep my sides warm. The Exped is so thick and warm underneath, would it be better to use No Sniv on top as second quilt and use the Dri-Duck poncho underneath as a weather / wind shield to keep sides warm? Or keep No Sniv as underquilt?

All opinions welcome on different configurations.

Images
    First off, the DAM is a vapor barrier... think of it as an insulating vapor barrier. So there is no need for another vapor barrier directly against the underside of the hammock when you are laying on your DAM inside the hammock. And that Exped Down Mat 9 Delux is a lot of insulation all by itself. I don't know how low you can go with it but I would guess 0F or even lower. If it isn't wide enough, you can place stuff sacks where you need them or make a SPE that is wide enough to fit it. If you make an SPE to use at those temperatures I would recommend using 2 inch 'baffles' to connect the wings so you can get enough insulating material in them and not have the troubling air gaps you would get with sewn through 'baffles' connecting the wings. But I would think the 25 inch wide DAM would be easy enough to just use a well spaced stuff sack or two if you even need them... heck even small 6x7 inch pieces of closed cell foam can be spot located to solve cold spots.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post

Please help . . .

I have a free day today to fool with my gear and I’m trying to figure out the most efficient setup to see what the lowest temps I can get to at night. But I’m not sure how I should be using the different pieces . . . over cover on netting, undercover, vapor barriers, etc ????? Confused about where to put breathable material like Dri Duck poncho and where to put silnylon.

Here are the pieces to my setup.

Hennessy Backpacker with Zipper Mod #2 and cinch buckles & webbing
    JRB 11 x 12 tarp
    No Sniv – can use underquilt or topquilt
    Western Mountaineer Summerlite Sleeping Bag use as top quilt – rated 30 degrees
    Exped Down Mat 9 Delux
    ID 5 x 8 sil tarp
    Dri Ducks poncho with corner ties and velcro – can be used as weather shield undercover or sleeping bag bivy or hammock overcover
    Tyvek – soft kind 5 x 8 piece with corner ties. Can be rigged as undercover or overcover.

Here is the configuration I’ve been thinking about – is there something better? Tonight’s temps are going down to 14 with light wind. I will be backyard testing tonight.

Under the hammock: Sil tarp next to hammock as varpor barrier, No Sniv as underquilt,

One of my dilemmas is what is the best way to keep my sides warm. The Exped is so thick and warm underneath, would it be better to use No Sniv on top as second quilt and use the Dri-Duck poncho underneath as a weather / wind shield to keep sides warm? Or keep No Sniv as underquilt?

All opinions welcome on different configurations.
    HC, et al,

I agree with Youngblood that when using the dam in this way you do not need a separate VB...

As far as the sides go, protection from the bottom is the best position for the NS...To max out the side vs the average person's goal of maxing the bottom, fold the NS in half lengthwise and forcibly shake the down to the outside edge of the quilt, then hang the NS .... The edge of the Dam will force a minor angle in the UQ thus holding the relocated down to the sides.

I like the Idea of your JRB modified DriDuct poncho to extend the range of your top bag....You can expect at least 6-10 degree improvement from our experiance with the original MP Weather Shield tops.

Glad that you can make the hang...See you there.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I use an Exped DAM 7 in my hammock w/ a down underquilt on the outside, & it works GREAT!!!
    Heaven in the middle of the frosty woods!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    IF you already have a VB (using a pad,) as Pan and Youngblood have already stated, you do not need another. However, I find that I get my best results with no pad, and a layer of the dri-ducks type material between the hammock and the UQ. It keeps the moisture/condensation out of the UQ, and allows the Down to breathe properly without getting soggy from condensation.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    HC, et al,

I like the idea of your JRB modified DriDuct poncho to extend the range of your top bag....You can expect at least 6-10 degree improvement from our experiance with the original MP Weather Shield tops.

Pan
    Yup, I'm looking forward to experimenting. If all goes well, the poncho will be an extremely versatile piece of gear. Rain poncho, rain/snow cover for No Sniv, hammock/quilt undercover weather shield, sleeping bag bivy. And I want to see if it works as a hammock overcover on netting and ridgeline.

Thanks for doing the mods!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Yup, I'm looking forward to experimenting. If all goes well, the poncho will be an extremely versatile piece of gear. Rain poncho, rain/snow cover for No Sniv, hammock/quilt undercover weather shield, sleeping bag bivy. And I want to see if it works as a hammock overcover on netting and ridgeline.

Thanks for doing the mods!
    Sure it will.... I'll show you a couple of options at the WH.

3 and a wake up....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I want to see if it works as a hammock overcover on netting and ridgeline.
    That's how I've used my poncho twice, wanting a wind block. I laid it square instead of on the diagonal, and snapped it closed at the foot (windward) end. That left the netting uncovered from my shoulders up. It worked well.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Well, what did you end up doing and how did it work?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Turned out we had tickets to a NPR Mountain Stage show that I forgot about so I didn't gear test as I had hoped. But I'm going to use this configuration the first night at Mt. Rogers and will see how it goes. . .

Inside hammock: DAM, WM bag tucked inside No Sniv, Dri Ducks Poncho used as Bivy.
    Hang with netting up. Will not use tyvek as overcover unless I get cold.

Second night:
    Under the hammock: No Sniv as underquilt (shaken as suggested by Pan for extra insulation on sides)

I think both nights are gonna have about the same low temps. Just want to compare warmth and condensation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast