Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

How small is to small?

Can't afford cuben so I am looking to make a sil nylon tarp but want as light as possible, but also want enough coverage to stay dry. I have a large tarp already so looking for small lightweight tarp that I can take when no major storms are in the forecast for just a wknd getaway but still want to have a tarp just in case something blows in. So I am asking veterans what they would suggest, I am sure someone has already figured out this dilemma but haven't found a thread on it so I started this one, thanks in advance.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    My current small tarp has an 11 foot ridgeline and is 8 feet across at the widest points. Cat cut hex tarp provides best coverage for small size/low weight, IMO. Although many do "enjoy" their asym diamond tarps for truly minimal coverage.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Tadpole seems to be big enough to keep people dry and weights like 12 oz or so... That would be the size I would shoot for...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    8x8 pitched as a diamond kept me dry and snug in an all night thunderstorm.

The trick is to get the hammock as close to the ground as possible without touching (when you are in it ), and the tarp as close as possible to the ends of the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    My first hammock was a HH Hyperlite with the stock rainfly. I'm sure it was just psychological, rather than physical, but it didn't seem to offer enough coverage. So I switched to a bigger, cat-cut DIY cuben and have been really happy with it.
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    My current small tarp has an 11 foot ridgeline and is 8 feet across at the widest points. Cat cut hex tarp provides best coverage for small size/low weight, IMO. Although many do "enjoy" their asym diamond tarps for truly minimal coverage.
    Thanks Catavarie, I also like the Cat cut tarps over the diamond tarp. I will probably go with about an 11' ridgeline or maybe 10' my ridgeline for hammock is 100" just didn't know if I could go smaller than your 8' wide and still stay dry or not. Most silnylon comes in widths of 62" and was wondering if that would be to narrow, I kinda think it would be to narrow but curious if someone has tried it already.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    The 8 feet is at the tieouts at the top of the cat cuts it is around 7'2". I've been in a couple of worm drowning storms under it and it covers my 10 foot hammock (~102" ridge line) very well with a surprisingly large amount of space underneath. If I was to go as small as comfortable I could probably take an addtional 6"-9" off each side, but don't think I would feel as secure in a big storm. As it is right now, if a storm rolls in while I'm asleep I simply pull my hiking poles out of the loops dropping them below my hammock and let the porch side hang lower to cover from that side better.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I used a 10' x 5' tarp (http://www.hammockbliss.com/all-purp...rproof-shelter) for the first year and it was fine... For sitting in the hammock. I upgraded to a Superfly, not because I was getting wet with the smaller tarp but because I wanted the option of hanging out under my tarp if I get stuck in bad weather for extended periods.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I have used a DIY sil poncho, about 5' x 8.5', hung on the diagonal. It was much bigger than the original tiny Hennessy tarp I had, so it was an improvement. I like this length ridgeline (almost 10') better than longer ones, so I made a tarp with more coverage by sewing triangular pieces onto all four sides, such that each end had a beak with a vertical end seam about 2' long. This gives great coverage. But for minimal weight and sewing, try just a piece of sil 62" wide x 102" long.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker ultralight zip
    Tarp
    OWL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    During the summer I find the stock HH tarp to be just fine, and light.

Shoulder seasons and winter I prefer to move under something a little bigger, even if only to block wind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast