Thread: UQ question

UQ question

I just purchased a HH as my first hammock, and I am looking at piecing together a system for insulating the bottom. So my question is, do UQ's require something between them and the ground to prevent them getting wet, or are most in a water proof material? Would I just be better off buying a SS instead of an UQ? It doesn't look like it would as warm as an UQ? Thoughts?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richiewrt View Post
    I just purchased a HH as my first hammock, and I am looking at piecing together a system for insulating the bottom. So my question is, do UQ's require something between them and the ground to prevent them getting wet, or are most in a water proof material? Would I just be better off buying a SS instead of an UQ? It doesn't look like it would as warm as an UQ? Thoughts?
    For me, using one on and off over 6 years ( including today! ) the HHSS is surprisingly warm, and easy to boost for even more warmth, a lot more. Some folks have had no luck at all with it or have condensation issues, but quite a few of us have been able to sleep warm and dry in the 40s or even 30s and a few even into the 20s. And a rare few quite a bit lower. It's big plus is there is already something between the ground, wind and rain - the sil-nylon under cover - that adds a lot of wind and rain/snow resistance and allows you to get by with a smaller, lighter tarp ( like the HH stock tarp ) if desired. That is - assuming it works for you - a lot for the weight (16-20 oz full length with wind/rain cover aka UC) and money compared to say a 40F down quilt. And it packs down pretty small also, though not as small as down.

Should you get an UQ? Maybe. For a price lower than or equal to the HHSS, you can get an AHE Jarbrige or a full length for a little more than the HHSS. I think this will provide a bit more insulation than the HHSS, but no wind block. http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-***-quilts.html
    These seem to work great for most everybody, and will have pretty good performance if slighty wet also and dry very quickly. But they won't pack down as small as HHSS or even more so a down UQ. Or you could get a nice down UQ that packs down uber small and last forever But with either, to equal the wind/water resistance of the HHSS, you will need to add some form of UQP ( Under quilt protector) for more money and weight. ( or at least use a larger tarp, which you may want to do any way).

Hung this very day - for a long read/nap - with a base level HHSS ( UC, pad, space blanket) with no tarp in a windy, cloudy, humid 43F. Even with the net zipped up, the wind was flopping my RL inside storage net around noticeably. On top I had a VB shirt with a very light 12 oz hooded Polarguard jacket over that, no TQ except over my lower half with nylon socks and blue jeans. I was quite snug and comfy! ( but the VB shirt might have helped a lot here. My previous low with that jacket and no TQ ( and no wind ) was about 49F, and 1 more degree and I would have needed more).

Thanks for the info

So much information there! Question about the SS though, do you have to remove the UC if you are using the snakeskin's? or can you get by with just removing the pad?

• + New Posts