Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Member runningfromseptember's Avatar

Has anyone had experience with this tarp? Sportsmans Guide HQ ISSUE Camo Tarp

Has anyone tried out this tarp from sportsman's guide? I have had some less than stellar experience with them in the past, but this tarp seems better than the guide gear tarp.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1145824
    "I rejoice that there are owls. Let them do the idiotic and maniacal hooting for men." -Henry David Thoreau

New Member runningfromseptember's Avatar
    "I rejoice that there are owls. Let them do the idiotic and maniacal hooting for men." -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I've not. However, looking at the specs, they're a bit on the heavy side.

1,000 mm hydro head is the minimum necessary to be considered "waterproof"; they may be more waterproof than that, but I wouldn't count on it.

"190T" I'm assuming means "190 denier taslan fabric", but I could be wrong. However, that seems in line with the weight of the tarps; they'll definitely be tear- and abrasion-resistant. If heavier than you really need in a tarp.

On the other hand, it's hard to find tarps with that coverage at that price. Might be worth it.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    As FLRider stated, probably on the heavy side if it's for backpacking. For car camping, no big deal. One of my first tarps I owned was from Sportsman's Guide. For the price, probably is worth it.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by runningfromseptember View Post
    Has anyone tried out this tarp from sportsman's guide? I have had some less than stellar experience with them in the past, but this tarp seems better than the guide gear tarp.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1145824
    Get one and be the guinea pig for everyone.

As you may know the "famous GG tarp" went to crap last year. Many of them leaked and the advertised size went from being measured along the edges to measuring the diagonals. We all got much smaller tarps than expected. I, for one, have quit doing business with SG due to their refusal to change the deceptive ad copy.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

As you may know the "famous GG tarp" went to crap last year. Many of them leaked and the advertised size went from being measured along the edges to measuring the diagonals. We all got much smaller tarps than expected. I, for one, have quit doing business with SG due to their refusal to change the deceptive ad copy.
    now thats funny lolneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY 8oz 30D Marpet Camo
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 4 Season
    Insulation
    MSS & PLUQ & PLTQ
    Suspension
    DIY-Woopie Sling
    Your pocket book is our amusement, lol

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images

there sizes are way small. im a xxl guy and every time i order anything they say is xxl when i get it it will not fit anerixic midget. i looked at the tarp screams buyer beware.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

I bought two of the famous GG 12x12 tarps last year. I wouldn't buy a pair of socks from Sportsman's Guide after my experience - the quality was god-awful and they leaked like a sieve.

Like the OP, as a noob I was hot and heavy in pursuit of a sub-$30 tarp suitable for hammock camping. I lucked out and got a couple of Grand Trunk Funky Forest tarps for $29.95 each, but the coverage and configuration options were not what I wanted. Still, those Funky Forest tarps have served me well.

I wish I had taken the advice of many folks and ponied up the cash for a $79.95 Hennessy Hex or something similar in quality and coverage. Instead, I blew cash on Wally World blue tarps, attempts to convert tarp rain flys, and the "infamous" GG tarps.

After so much wasted time and money, I just gave up on an "affordable" tarp and went straight to the HG 4-Season cuben fiber tarp for $300, and I have subsequently upgraded to the $400 HG cuben fiber Winter Palace. Hands-down, my favorite piece of gear because staying dry is the most important thing to me. And the 8.5 oz weight is pretty nifty too.

My advice is to buy a quality tarp, and go cheap on other stuff. You can enjoy hammock camping with an el cheapo tablecloth factory hammock, a sleeping bag and a pad, but if you aren't dry, you're screwed.

Like I said, I lucked out with the GT Funky Forest Tarp and got a serviceable tarp for under $30, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't waste my time and money.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I bought the second to try out last year. It had great coverage (good winter tarp) but was a little on the heavy side and didn't have the seems sealed. If you can wait, save up for a good tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast