Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    OK. So no experience with a single layer hammock and a pad? Switching hammocks really isn't in the cards for me. I'll grab a pad and just give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks!
    i used a pad in my hennsessey hammock several years before going to the claytor jungle.pads work so much better in a double bottom hammockneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    OK. I'll grab a pad and just give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks!
    I've used a pad for years, single and double layer hammocks. Works for me. I keep vowing to try an underquilt, and I probably will one of these days. If you're new to pads, look up SPE to keep shoulders and knees warm. There are a couple of pic's of my DIY SPE in my gallery.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    None
    Tarp
    None
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    None
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    A friend (also a HF member) just got himself a claytor. He has had a few other designs, but has seen me stick with my claytor over the years so he figured he would try one.
    Funny thing is I was going to buy the claytor expedition as my first hammock and here I am after trying just about every hammock buying one. DuctTape was the biggest influence for the purchase, that and I have never heard anyone say they don't like theirs. The underquilt thing kind of makes me nervous though with all the money I have wrapped up in them. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    It isn't that UQ's don't work with them. They work quite well. You see me use my LeighLo all summer long. I just go to pads when it gets real cold. Bulky for sure, but real warm.

Sounds like you've discovered the proper use of a vapor barrier.

Hammock
    None
    Tarp
    None
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    None
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    It isn't that UQ's don't work with them. They work quite well. You see me use my LeighLo all summer long. I just go to pads when it gets real cold. Bulky for sure, but real warm.
    Yeah that's what made me wonder. I as well will be using my leighLo this summer lol. For our trip in a couple weeks I don't know if my claytor will be here yet. I think the dangerbird may work a little better anyway with the top cover and my phoenix plus since were sledding stuff in I am bringing a pad to put between the layers. If it is here I may give it a shot we'll see.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    OK. So no experience with a single layer hammock and a pad? Switching hammocks really isn't in the cards for me. I'll grab a pad and just give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks!
    Just a couple of more things to know.

You will want a closed cell foam pad. They sell them for about 15.00 at WalMart. Mine is 72x24x1/2 inch. Unless you are going to use one of the blow up/self inflating ground pads. That you will want to let some air out of.

You will most likely want an SPE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZV...1C2AA8&index=1 and check about minute 8 of video. Shug knows his hammock stuff. Speer no longer makes SPE but they are easy to sew up or you can get one from ENO http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...uct/A4011.html

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    here are a couple pics of my phoneix 20 degree uq with 2 oz overstuff with my claytor jungle hammock a few weeks ago.it got down to 27 degrees with very very heavy frost.i been winter hammock camping 8 years now.i have never been cold until i switched from my pad to an underquilt.i wasted money on the switch.i guess i been a pad user to long lolneo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    here are a couple pics of my phoneix 20 degree uq with 2 oz overstuff with my claytor jungle hammock a few weeks ago.it got down to 27 degrees with very very heavy frost.i been winter hammock camping 8 years now.i have never been cold until i switched from my pad to an underquilt.i wasted money on the switch.i guess i been a pad user to long lolneo
    but i do love my hammock gear top quiltneo
    the matrix has you

Images
    Oh there is plenty of experience using a pad with single layer hammocks, it's just that for most of us it is not a pleasant experience. The main problem is staying on top of one as you move around in your sleep, and for many folks just general comfort and maybe sweat problems. But yes, it can be done in a single layer, and has been, but most folks don't like it, seems to me. A double layer hammock or an SPE solve most of those issues, but most still don't like them, while a few have no issues, all is good with a pad in a double layer or with an SPE.

Plus, pad use in a JRB BMBH double layer can be just great, really starts getting quite competitive with a quilt for overall comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    Neo, I was wondering how the UQ thing would work out for you. IMO, it is simple: pads are just much more bombproof than UQs assuming you can stay on them. ( don't shoot me UQ fans, just IMHO! ) Uqs can be wonderful, but let's face it, there are many things that can go wrong, and these things ( mainly adjustments ) must be pretty much perfect. Hence, what seems to me a huge number of threads on here like this one, or like "hey, my back was cold at 30 in my 20 UQ, what am I doing wrong?"! Lets face it, there are a lot of threads like that correct? Now, unless someone is just using a pad that is plain too thin for the temps, how often do you see a thread like " HELP, my back was cold at 30 on my 1/2" thick CCF WM blue pad, or on my Neoair All Season, etc"? Rare as hens teeth. They may hate the pads for various other reasons, but lack of warmth is not very often one of those reasons. You lay on the pad and warmth is felt, end of story. Drafts, gaps or moisture are not likely to be an issue in making the pad cold. Though if you sweat on the pad you might have other insulation related problems I suppose. One little gap or draft with an UQ, game over until you fix it, assuming you know what to fix. So if you want guaranteed warmth, no worries about moisture accumulating in your down UQ, and ability to go to ground, pads win hands down. I've been saying this a bunch of years, even though I mostly don't use pads. But I always have a pad for backup and multi-use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast