Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images

PeaPod With Bugnet

I did a couple of searches and came up with no related threads to this question. I know it's not the time of year to worry about this, but has anyone tried a PeaPod with a bugnet? I have a Travel Hammock SB Pro. So far I have only used the PeaPod in cold weather with the hammock flipped upside down so that the bugnet is on the bottom. I was wondering if anyone has tried a PeaPod with an attached bugnet in use. I understand that it would not be able to envelope the hammock normally, but I was wondering if it can sort of function as a SnugFit UQ without the fit being ... well snug. I have some other options, but I figured it would be nice to have some applications for the PeaPod once the bugs come out again.

Any input would be appreciated.

I used one on my HH, but did not wrap it around the hammock as it was intended to be used. I just used it as an UQ and it worked really well in that regard.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod
    Images
    The PeaPod is very flexible & can be used in many different configurations. If left open, it functions as an underquilt & can even be snugged up to the hammock with some adjustments to the suspension lines (the draw cords that fasten the PeaPod to the hammock). I've often used the PeaPod nearly closed with only a breather hole over my head--but with the bugnet covering the breather hole! Just remove the bugnet from one side of the hammock, take it off the ridgeline & let it hang from the other side of the hammock down into the PeaPod--close the PeaPod as much as you want, then grab the loose side of the bugnet with your hand & pull it over your head; it will be inside the PeaPod but blocking your breather hole! The hammock sides will hold up the bugnet; do not use the ridgeline. This way I can block mosquitoes in the early evening and stay warm when it gets colder in the early morning without changing gear....Ed
    Ed Speer (NotToWorry)
    Co-Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
    Author, Hammock Camping book
    Moderator, Yahoo Hammock Camping List

Ed, did you post the pictures from the last SEHHA get together?

John

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NotToWorry View Post
    The PeaPod is very flexible & can be used in many different configurations. If left open, it functions as an underquilt & can even be snugged up to the hammock with some adjustments to the suspension lines (the draw cords that fasten the PeaPod to the hammock). I've often used the PeaPod nearly closed with only a breather hole over my head--but with the bugnet covering the breather hole! Just remove the bugnet from one side of the hammock, take it off the ridgeline & let it hang from the other side of the hammock down into the PeaPod--close the PeaPod as much as you want, then grab the loose side of the bugnet with your hand & pull it over your head; it will be inside the PeaPod but blocking your breather hole! The hammock sides will hold up the bugnet; do not use the ridgeline. This way I can block mosquitoes in the early evening and stay warm when it gets colder in the early morning without changing gear....Ed
    Hey Ed! I've never seen you post here before! Welcome! I agree about the flexibility of the PeaPod. But when you describe the above use, I assume you are decsribing a Speer hammock of any other with a removable net?
    Bill

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod
    Images
    Hi Bill. Yeah, I've recently decided to join the party. And yes, I was describing the Speer Hammock & PeaPod. So that's an open top hammock with removable bugnetting
    Ed Speer (NotToWorry)

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod
    Images
    John, I've gotten lazy lately & haven't taken any hammock pictures. So, no I didn't post any. Besides, it was cold, windy, cold, and windy on Springer on NYE. Did I mention it was too cold to fuss with the camera! 20F & 20 mph wind all night! Hopefully someone else has pics to post
    Ed Speer (NotToWorry)

Quote Originally Posted by NotToWorry View Post
    John, I've gotten lazy lately & haven't taken any hammock pictures. So, no I didn't post any. Besides, it was cold, windy, cold, and windy on Springer on NYE. Did I mention it was too cold to fuss with the camera! 20F & 20 mph wind all night! Hopefully someone else has pics to post
    Sorry, I meant the last one in Hot Springs.

John

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Here's a picture of one of the early version Pea Pods being used in an un-normal way.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Hello Wisenber,
    I have a Hennessy Hammock ULBP Asym with the #2 Bugnet Zipper mod. This mod allows me to use the PeaPod as intended and wraps all the way around my hammock. It works perfectly with my HH.

But, reading you question of whether a PeaPod will work with a bugnet???....

I set up my HH and zipped my bugnet up. The PeaPod will completely wrap over the bugnet and over the ridgeline of my HH and completely surround. It is a little tricky, since you will use the HH with the zipper mod as a top loader (no way to get into the HH through the bottom entry with a PeaPod wrapped around). You have to turn the PeaPod so the velcro is along side the zipper area. You will climb into the HH, then reach out and seal off the velcro of the PeaPod, and then zip up the bugnet inside. Obviously, the Pea Pod doesn't lay right on top of you, like a sleeping bag, since it is now draped over the top of the ridgeline. But it does work. The bug net is loose inside the hammock, too, because there is no way to guyout the sides of the HH with the PeaPod wrapped around it.

I suppose, if the weather is real nice, I would just use the PeaPod inside my HH as a top quilt or sleeping bag and just have the bug net zipped up and the sides of the hammock guyed out. That way I will still be warm through the night, can look out and watch the stars, and not have to worry about mosquitos and other bugs.

Just wanted to share these thoughts with you and I will try to get out and take some pics to show you how the PeaPod:Bugnet combo looks.

Cheers!

• + New Posts