Review my choice and opinions are welcome,

Hello everyone,
    I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a hammock. I have been tent camping for years and seeing how everyone has such accolades for these hammocks I feel I must experience it for myself. I have never "hanged" before so I am a complete newb. I have decided that I would be best served by going with a NA because I camp in various weather conditions and will require as much warmth as possible. So I usually tolerate hot weather well but the cold is.....friggen cold. In tents I will sometimes use a catalytic heater to warm things up....but then I am in the chill down to 14f weather so you get the idea. I have a thermarest toughskin with an R value of 3 and change so I hope it can be used in the Clark or do you think a quilt can provide the same R factor? Now I am counting ounces too and other than the cool factor of camo is it really the same wt even with the xl rainfly? Are you guys sealing the seams I guess for the tarp? Also if the wind is blowing down the long axis of of the hammock with the tarp closed shut will wind/rain get in or blow the velcro apart

Cheers,
    BattleBorn
    Last edited by battleborn; 01-19-2009 at 02:01. Reason: new question added

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Welcome aboard.

I have a Clark, and have used a cheap blue pad to get down to the mid 20's with no problem. I don't think it's wise to attempt a heater in a hammock, but who knows, maybe you'll come up with a way.

I haven't weighed my set up, and to be honest, I use a larger tarp than what came with the Clark, not because it can't do the job, but as I don't really 'hike', I figured larger is better (tarp wise) when car/canoe camping.

As for wind blowing in the sides of your tarp, site selection plays a major role. If you set up with the wind blowing right into the long axis of the hammock, you haven't chosen your axis very well. If you have the stock tarp sealed tight, you should have no problem, but I still wouldn't set up that way. I haven't been out in very high winds to give you an honest evaluation. I'm sure others will chime in soon enough.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    catalytic heater - if you still plan to use one of these, you might consider replacing your tarp with a JRB Hammock Hut - http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Hut.htm - I would never consider bringing a catallytic heater inside the hammock and go to sleep with it running. Too great a chance of waking up on fire! Not to mention all the extra weight of not only the heater, but the propane tanks needed to feed it. I know the tanks are small and fairly light, but I think with cold weather you'd need one tank for every night you were hiking. I think getting a good, thick, down under quilt to be a better, lighter option for the cold.

As to the wind blowing on you when your axis is along the wind direction - having a tarp you can close off at the feet and/or head may be the best you can do if you can't find trees that are 90 degrees to the wind direction. I carry a poncho that can be rigged up to block the wind and rain when I can't get the tarp to block them.

No heater is exactly what I am thinking it will just come down to better layering while asleep or cold weather bag selection. As im sure every Hammocker knows there may be a time when you just can not hang in the most ideal position or the wind may change. I do not plan to go out in the worst weather but if you in the sierras sometimes you may not know what your going to get at elevation. Bear bag, thanks for the link and poncho tip.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by battleborn View Post
    No heater is exactly what I am thinking it will just come down to better layering while asleep or cold weather bag selection. As im sure every Hammocker knows there may be a time when you just can not hang in the most ideal position or the wind may change. I do not plan to go out in the worst weather but if you in the sierras sometimes you may not know what your going to get at elevation. Bear bag, thanks for the link and poncho tip.
    Exactly. In fact, I'm starting to think that the better approach would just be some sort of wind proof, DWR sock and going with a smaller, lighter tarp. Winds do change during the night, and it takes a really large tarp to completely block wind from all possible directions. And then there is the soaking fog factor, really tough to protect against.

But then, I'm not sure if condensation in the sock might not also become a problem?

every thing is a compromise I guess.

• + New Posts