Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Interesting - I hadn't taken the time to calculate it and just went off what the web site listed it as. Your measurements do make it seem a bit heavier, which could well be the case. Based on your measurement of your 1.5 fabric, it almost seems like it's a bit underweight and this one's a bit overweight. There is also 25% more 1.6 fabric (longer and wider)...
    I did strip down my hammock, as best I could, with close measurements and calculating for the hems, continiuos loops and shock cord/cord locks still on the hammock, my 1.5 was 1.7oz. If I could take the extras off, it should be close to 1.5.

Either way, I understand that you bought from a source that advertised it as 1.6, and that's what you thought you had. I would NOT expect you to have to check the weights of the fabric that you bought. I wouldn't have even checked myself, if I didn't have the 1.5 for comparison........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    BMBH UL/WBRR
    Tarp
    WB SF/ WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/DIY/WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCR/Web
    Images
    Got mine today.... Top notch quality. I will get a pick up when I get a chance. Thanks again and I am happy to help the scouts out when I can.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I did strip down my hammock, as best I could, with close measurements and calculating for the hems, continiuos loops and shock cord/cord locks still on the hammock, my 1.5 was 1.7oz. If I could take the extras off, it should be close to 1.5.

Either way, I understand that you bought from a source that advertised it as 1.6, and that's what you thought you had. I would NOT expect you to have to check the weights of the fabric that you bought. I wouldn't have even checked myself, if I didn't have the 1.5 for comparison........RR
    I just did the math as well - the piece of fabric I received weighs 13.9oz. I didn't measure it - but if we assume that it's 4 yards by 64", that comes out to 7.1111 square yards (plus a couple more 1's). 13.9oz divided by 7.1111 = 1.95oz/yd^2

Natural human cutting error would account for the +/- .05oz difference. I agree with RR - if you bought a bolt of '1.6oz' nylon from a large vendor, one wouldn't think you'd have to measure the fabric weight just to check.

Even if it is 1.9oz, $15 for 4 yards of ACU ripstop shipped is still a great price. Just a touch heavier than planned.

Anyone have a weight on one of the finished hammocks? It's ok if it's heavier, just curious. danke.

Hammock
    BMBH UL/WBRR
    Tarp
    WB SF/ WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/DIY/WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCR/Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    Anyone have a weight on one of the finished hammocks? It's ok if it's heavier, just curious. danke.
    Not sure what you want included in the weight but I just weighed my 1.6 or so and it came up to 17.70 oz. That includes the tree straps & toggles. That also includes some additional bungie (about 30 inches) and 4 cordlocks as I add the knotty mod to it.

Just weighed it without the straps and toggles... 14.70 oz

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cubiclewarrior View Post
    Not sure what you want included in the weight but I just weighed my 1.6 or so and it came up to 17.70 oz. That includes the tree straps & toggles. That also includes some additional bungie (about 30 inches) and 4 cordlocks as I add the knotty mod to it.

Just weighed it without the straps and toggles... 14.70 oz
    Thanks for posting that weight.

The 1.1 definitely came in lighter. I think that fabric was closer to its posted weight on their site. The 1.1 ounce 11-foot setup with 6 foot whoopies, 6 foot straps and bag was around 12 ounces, which was about what I expected. That puts it around 8 ounces without suspension, which is about the same as my 1.1 Weight Weenie of about the same size.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    I just did the math as well - the piece of fabric I received weighs 13.9oz. I didn't measure it - but if we assume that it's 4 yards by 64", that comes out to 7.1111 square yards (plus a couple more 1's). 13.9oz divided by 7.1111 = 1.95oz/yd^2

Natural human cutting error would account for the +/- .05oz difference. I agree with RR - if you bought a bolt of '1.6oz' nylon from a large vendor, one wouldn't think you'd have to measure the fabric weight just to check.

Even if it is 1.9oz, $15 for 4 yards of ACU ripstop shipped is still a great price. Just a touch heavier than planned.
    Thanks for confirming. Sounds like it's officially a bit heavier than expected. Very interesting how things differ from the advertised on the site!
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle

Re: ACU Ripstop Nylon or a Completed Hammock for Sale!

I'm just glad mine is here.

Thanks again!

Rock Chalk!
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cubiclewarrior View Post
    Got mine today.... Top notch quality. I will get a pick up when I get a chance. Thanks again and I am happy to help the scouts out when I can.
    Glad you're happy with the quality. We were pleased with it, too. The hammock, stuff sack, etc. all turned out even better than we were hoping. Happy to hear others are liking them as well.
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    breyman, I got mine yesterday afternoon, and it sure is sweeeet. I can't wait to try it out. It is raining cats and dogs here, so I may have to wait until the weekend. Tell your wife she did a top notch job and I am very pleased. Thank you bunches....
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast