dd frontline
    Tarp
    dd 3x3
    Insulation
    roll mat
    Suspension
    whoopies

Scottish Hikers

Hey guys, i'm going my first long distance hike in april this year, the West Highland Way. i've not much long distance/multiple days experience but i am a walker and i'm prepped and still prepping for the date. I have 2 question if any of you on here have done this route. Is it hammock friendly? And i have no clue about traveling foods as i've only done 2 nights 2 miles from home so i could afford to take a load of goodies, what would be the best foods to take as far as longevity, bulk saving and nutritional value is concerned?

i've heard off the greatness of peanut butter, tuna and dried fruits, but id like a second opinion from home or from experience. One of the guys i'm doing this with is a keen photographer and he's just recently bought a new lens. we've all agreed to take our time and take in the spring scenery so we plan a max of 7 days out. i want to make sure i have enough of the right compact food, weight is not a big issue but i can see the appeal for my knees sake.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I dehydrate my own veggies and add them to ramen, cous cous or rice for dinners and dehydrate fruits to put in oatmeal for breakfast. For lunch I usually have some kind of bread and some peanut butter, and a bunch of snack stuff.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I'll be looking forward to this trip report for sure! I really like the packaged tuna with some soft tortillas for lunch; I love peanut butter just about any time of day or night; breakfast is usually oatmeal and hot beverages. It would be good to prep some food, of course, but you'll also be going through a town/village pretty regularly as well. Might be a case where you could carry a bit less and then eat heartily when passing through. I would love to get to Scotland and do some of the longer ways.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The horns of the perpetual dilemma. Oils (fats) are high energy and calorie items. The dilemma is they do not dehydrate well. So you are stuck toting the fat foods in normal form. Somewhere I have seen dehydrated peanut butter. But that strikes me as sugar free de-caffeinated Mt Dew.... What is the point?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wetwood7 View Post
    Hey guys, i'm going my first long distance hike in april this year, the West Highland Way. i've not much long distance/multiple days experience but i am a walker and i'm prepped and still prepping for the date. I have 2 question if any of you on here have done this route. Is it hammock friendly? And i have no clue about traveling foods as i've only done 2 nights 2 miles from home so i could afford to take a load of goodies, what would be the best foods to take as far as longevity, bulk saving and nutritional value is concerned?

i've heard off the greatness of peanut butter, tuna and dried fruits, but id like a second opinion from home or from experience. One of the guys i'm doing this with is a keen photographer and he's just recently bought a new lens. we've all agreed to take our time and take in the spring scenery so we plan a max of 7 days out. i want to make sure i have enough of the right compact food, weight is not a big issue but i can see the appeal for my knees sake.
    I would say to add varity to your meals & lots of snacks. To me dried foods start tasting the same after a while.
    Can't wait to see your pictures that's got to be a beautiful area.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    On the West Highland Way you'll be passing through towns and villages everyday so you'll never need to carry more than a days food at any one time unless you want to.

Enjoy the trip.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    dd frontline
    Tarp
    dd 3x3
    Insulation
    roll mat
    Suspension
    whoopies
    thanks for the feedback guys, i know there are towns en route but i wanted to be all macho and take all of what i need. despite the frustration of a balanced meal plan. I can't wait to show you guys the pictures in all it's colourful springy glory!

i'll keep an eager eye out for wild edibles and greens to put a twist to my diners in the evening, spring is a great time for green bounty!
    Quite excited to try a pine needle tea also.

On such a routes hammock is friendly,but you can not spend a long time specially if you want to have a sleep of more than 2 hours. On such a routes a little camp must be with you so you could be saved in case of inconvenience.

• + New Posts