Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I made one last summer and I really like it for those warm nights when my down is just too much. Also it's a great loaner for a newbie. I haven't got several down UQ rated for diff degrees yet and this was my best alternative.
    As a matter of fact I'd been asking around about getting another one because I'm gonna need a lighter TQ for this summer. And just yesterday found out about a new surplus store at the flea mkt while I was there. I drove all the way to the other side of town to check it out and scored one for 15 bucks!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Get them wet,,just wring them out and they dry quickly. Abuse them,,they will take it. Used one in Nam the whole time I was there, and kept me warm in the rain during monsoon season in the jungles. Used it when it was hot over me to keep the skeeters and bugs off even tho you sweat alot. Keep one in the car for a emergency blanket. They work anywhere even for a throw at home when lounging. Cheap, durable, even the dog loves to lay on them.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use them as a TQ in warmer weather and as an extra blanket in cold weather to augment my regular Winter TQ. I can use it as a pillow, extra blanket over my TQ or just drape it over my head for extra warmth
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    +1 on all of the great comments. You don't have to "baby" the PL and it will become a sentimental friend over time.

There are two things that I don't like about them. They slide around when on top of you, and they make terrible beach blankets because they get so hot. I have a couple of DIY PLUQ Top Quilts that I made and I solved the "sliding around" issue by sewing in a round piece of PL fabric to create a permanent foot box.

I was in the Army for 27 years and this is the only piece of gear that didn't change (except the color) when I drew my combat kit at each Post and Station. That says a lot about it's staying power and usefulness! I will always have one around.

G-Nut

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I still have one,,43 years old,,with holes in it,,on the couch for the dog to lay on,,that came back with me from Vietnam...43 YEARS OLD..and still going strong,,and 2,,that are 42 yrs old, that I got in California back at Camp Pendleton like new, that I use constantly around the house, in the car every time we car camp. They take a beating and still are very nice and newish looking.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

PLUQ's! What's the big deal?

I have one that I just put some snaps around the perimeter so I could have it folded or flat. I have insultex and a truck sunshield that I can put inside as the temps dictate & the snaps keep them in place. It is technically not a stand-alone UQ since I just slide it between my layers in the Magna Hammock, but it serves that purpose well. Fits my low budget too!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    I just ordered two used ones off of Amazon for $25 shipped. I am new to hanging (don't even have my hammock made yet) so I wanted something cheap that would work for warmer seasons. I will mostly camp with my young boys and we are not hard core enough to attempt temps too low.

I am currently brain storming different ideas and systems that may or may not be successful but as cheap as I got them for I am free to experiment.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Bias WWM, Double, Knotty
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Hotspot, Thermapad
    Suspension
    Bias Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    They are thin, yes. And they're relatively heavy compared to cottage industry gear. However, for the price, it's hard to beat them on comfort-to-weight.

A poncho liner is usually good for most folks down to 45-50* (I can usually push one down to freezing, but I'm also a nearly inhumanly warm sleeper). A no-sew PLUQ is usually good down to about 40-45* for most folks. If you add insulation to a PLUQ, it can go as low as the twenties (I've been warm down to 25* comfortably with the supplement of a single layer of InsulBright, and I've survived at 21*--I was cold that night).

They're cheap and readily available. That makes 'em great for someone just finding out if they're interested in this whole "camping" thing.

Hope it helps!
    I can confirm what FLRider is saying. I had mine down to 13 degrees f at the Middle Tennessee hang a few weeks ago with no problems. Reflectix pad in between the PLUQ layers and a thermarest pad in my double layer BIAS WWM. I stayed comfortable all night long in just a thermal top, thermal bottoms, smartwool socks, and a fleece hat.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    +1 for what others have said about the poncho liners. I have two, one is a sewn PULQ used for 3 season camping. The other I use year round for a top quilt or an over cover in winter.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast