Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WB BB 1.1
    Tarp
    SWT

Speer Winter Tarp or Macat Deluxe?

If you can only get one which would it be? 3 seasons, to go with a BB, weekender hiking and short 1 week sections. Please advise, money in the pocket ready to spend and i can't decide. Also if a cheaper option of similar quality is available let me know...

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willswim View Post
    If you can only get one which would it be? 3 seasons, to go with a BB, weekender hiking and short 1 week sections. Please advise, money in the pocket ready to spend and i can't decide. Also if a cheaper option of similar quality is available let me know...
    Both outstanding tarps. I own a MacCat Delux (more than one, truth be told).

So here's the deal. See that 'W' in SWT? There for a reason. The only real point in carrying that much silnylon around is if you intend to close up the ends often enough to put that into the tarp (as opposed, e.g., for closing off the end of a MacCat Deluxe like this, with a poncho, when weather is worst.

If that's not the case, I'd opine that for a BB one MacCat Deluxe is as much tarp as you need for most of your hiking needs.

my $0.05.

Grizz

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Depends on your style. I'm using a different 11x10 tarp and here's my opinion - use the MacCat for 3 seasons. If you're doing winter camping where you really need wind protection, go for a winter tarp. Or if you need space for more than one person under the tarp. For my style, an 11x10 is overkill for 3 seasons...YMMV.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Is a Maccat Standard 8x10 adequate for a BB? And how frequently do you need the "doors" for a winter tarp. I wouldnt want to get wet but at the same time i don't want to carry something i don't need

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, if you're going to be 'winter camping' go with the winter tarp, you'll be thankful you did. If not, go with the MacCat; killer quality and light weight.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Don't forget the MacCat Ultra. I like the added security of having a longer ridgeline, and I ditched the Deluxe model, quickly, for that very reason. With three tieouts per side, you can tuck one or more corners in to help block the elements. It's only 2 oz heavier than the Deluxe.

That's an easy question. Do like I did and get both. I may sell the Macat Deluxe and get a Macat Medium in spinnaker. Having a synthetic Warbonnet UQ has convinced me that I can get by with a slightly smaller tarp 8 months out of the year in the southeast.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Own both. Use the MC Deluxe. Once permanent snow hits the ground I'm done for the season. Consider the Spinntex version if the $$s are available. Weight savings on the tarp and no need for self tensioning guy lines. More than enough coverage for even a driving rain storm if pitched for those conditions. Saving the SWT more for car camping (ie. campgrounds) where a little more privacy would be convient. But if it's me rather than the vehicle carrying the gear every ounce counts. Problem of being a lightweight is the relative ratio of gear to body mass.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Depends on your style. I'm using a different 11x10 tarp and here's my opinion - use the MacCat for 3 seasons. If you're doing winter camping where you really need wind protection, go for a winter tarp. Or if you need space for more than one person under the tarp. For my style, an 11x10 is overkill for 3 seasons...YMMV.
    I agree. Big winter tarps have become very popular and for good reason……all that awesome coverage. But for 3 season and mostly summer use, they are over kill and you pack the extra weight. Both tarps you mention are pretty similar in size and weight. Personally, I would lean toward the Mac standard for summer and general 3 season use. Plenty of coverage for one. But for the extra 2 oz, the deluxe looks like the way to go and it’s over 2 oz lighter than the Speer.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    I looked at the ULtra and liked it until i noticed it was only 4 feet on the sides. I like the option of pulling down the ends in bad storm/wind, which is why i am looking at the bigger, SWT. Does the craftmanship and design of the MacCat warrant buying it over the more versatile Speer?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast