Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding fabric

Finding fabric

Okay, I'll bite. I did find some expensive fabric at a Jo-Ann Fabric store nearby. Where are you guys finding the cheap stuff at? I tried the local Wal-Mart and the only thing that even came close to any nylon was nylon netting. Otherwise nothing nylon at all. I'm going to try another Wal-Mart tomorrow evening and see what I find.

The strange thing I have started to notice is that some Waldo Worlds will carry certain items and others won't. I happened to get lucky when I bought myself a new sleeping bag, Ozark Trail zero degree mummy bag and I wasn't shopping at the local Waldo World but another nearby Waldo World. I found the bag and it works great. I tried looking at the local Waldo World and they don't carry it.

Actually now that I think about the local one is a supercenter and the other two where I have seen the same sleeping bag aren't supercenters.

Have you guys been having more lucky finding the nylon cloth at supercenters, all in one shopping, or at non-supercenters?

I want to see if I can't get a modification made to my setup and try it out again this weekend since I see the temperatures are supposed to dip to 10-15 below zero once again, hot ****!

I have managed 1-2 below with my setup for around 7 hours and spent 5 hours out at -4 back Friday night last week. I need to get the padding up on the arms more and I have a nice idea for doing it. I bought an extra pad this afternoon and just got to it cut up and more than likely, for right now, dummy attached to the bottom side of the hammock the way I want it. If I could have had the arms protected I would have lasted all night more than likely at -4 in my hammock, hence why I want to have everything setup before this weekend gets here. I figure it will be my last shot for extreme cold weather until next winter...Alaska is in the 40s and 50s right now, YUCK!

MEANT 2B
    GAME '97

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!

I can't say for anyone else, but I've noticed cheap fabric a couple of times at the local WM Supercenter. It has been entirely hit or miss, though. They will get a batch in of the cheaper fabric, then a drought of indeterminate length, and another batch. Visit often and just keep your eyes open is the best course, from what I can tell.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I've found the best stuff at non-supercenter stores, but haven't found anything good for months! I've picked up all my recent fabric at JoAnne's, in the clearance racks and on Clearance weekends when everything is half off. Found some nice stuff, but ripstop is rare there, as well.

Welcome to HF!

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I have found at both supercenters and regular. Trick is, finding it the day it comes in. Alot of people use the ripstop for non-gear things.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    The Walmart by me is a supercenter. I found out that their shipments come in on Thursday morning. So every week I stop by and see what they have. I agree with fishinfinn it's been dry for a few months.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the Hanging Gang!

Try Speer Hammocks for fabric....Reasonable and one of us.

Otherwise www.owfinc.com.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Won't help now, but a local fabric store (Fabric Place in Woburn) went out-of-business in November. I picked up a roll (about 40 yd) of 1.7oz that I am using for a scout troop to make gear with. It was 75% off, I think it ran me about $2/yd.
    I heard they were closing shop and just went on a whim. Trick is to always be watching.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    You're right about different Walmarts carrying different things - but mostly it's just the difference between SuperWalmart and Reg. Walmart. The Supercenters actually have fewer selections because so much space is taken up by the grocery aspect. The reg. Walmarts tend to have more choices in the different departments they do have.

That said, I find good fabric at both near me. It is just a hit or miss. They have no idea what will arrive when they order the clearance fabric, it's very random. It's just an order of how much money's worth they want. Check at least once a month, every couple weeks is better. Oh, and make sure you're looking in the clearance section, not their normal sections (should be $1.50/yd).

Patience is the key. I've gotten 40+ yards of silnylon from the Walmarts near me over the last few months. The problem is the only seem to get (at least near me) the 4' wide stuff, not full 5'. Still, an 8X10 tarp for $10.00 is nothing to balk at. I also find, on occasion, good batches of reg. rip stop, though less frequently.

This is funny for more reasons than one.

This afternoon I stopped by the non supercenter Wal-Mart nearby. They didn't have a fabric selection whatsoever. They had yarn, and other sewing/knitting stuff like that but no fabric whatsoever. Then I remembered what my mom told me, she works for Wal-Mart, not around here, that Wal-Mart was planning on not selling fabric anymore. This store today kinda proved the point quite well.

In the, truly, local Wal-Mart, the supercenter, I haven't seen any kind of a clearance rack anytime I have been through the department.

Like I said, very strange indeed. I'll keep my eyes open and maybe do a little talking around in the store where I do find the fabric and see what I can find out.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    The ladies at the fabric counter told me that some of the Walmarts would not be carrying fabric anymore. Thankfully, the two near me still do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast