Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long tarp and hammock hang issue

I recently got a Hammock Gear cuben tarp with doors and although I bought the normal sized version, it seems a lot longer than my previous tarp. I can't quite figure out how to hang the hammock so that the long distance between trees does not result in my hammock sitting very low to the ground. I would like to figure out how to maintain minimal gap between the hammock and the top (inside) of the tarp so that weather protection is maximized. If I hang the hammock too high on the trees, it will put a large strain on the ends of the tarp when weight is put in it, and may possibly rip the tarp.

Am I missing something? Do I need a structural ridgeline for the hammock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw my suspension consists of relatively long amsteel whoopies.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by laneef View Post
    I recently got a Hammock Gear cuben tarp with doors and although I bought the normal sized version, it seems a lot longer than my previous tarp. I can't quite figure out how to hang the hammock so that the long distance between trees does not result in my hammock sitting very low to the ground. I would like to figure out how to maintain minimal gap between the hammock and the top (inside) of the tarp so that weather protection is maximized. If I hang the hammock too high on the trees, it will put a large strain on the ends of the tarp when weight is put in it, and may possibly rip the tarp.

Am I missing something? Do I need a structural ridgeline for the hammock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw my suspension consists of relatively long amsteel whoopies.

Consider hanging your tarp from the trees not the hammock suspension. I use two pieces of zing it 2.2 for my tarp ridge line ,and 1.75 for the tie outs. Hanging my tarp too low is a pain for me to get in and out. It also can give you condensation on the inside of the tarp from breathing on it . In my opinion ,which doesnt make me right, you would gain more from being creative with your site selection. Choose a spot where a ridge is between you and the wind ,a group of cedar trees or pine for wind block helps too. You could gain more by bringing your tie outs in toward you more than a too low ceiling,ymmv. Also watch for abrasion on a cuban tarp if it rubs something alot it will saw through it ,thats why the use of a two piece ridge line ,not a continuous one piece set up unless it runs on top of the tarp not under. The cuban is stronger than you think. Dont fear pulling it tight ,within reason,it will be fine.
    Last edited by hairbear; 02-13-2013 at 05:58.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I agree, hang the tarp from it's own suspension ridgeline, separate from the hammock suspension.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Sorry I guess I gave off the wrong impression. I was up pretty late. The tarp is on its own ridgeline with prussiks (sp?). The issue is that the hang angle of the hammock (when attached to trees that are far enough apart to fit the long tarp between them) makes it hang low to the ground relative to the tarp. If I hang the hammock higher on the tree than the tarp or tighten the whoopies enough to get the hammock higher, the whoopies push up on the ends of the tarp and put strain on the cuben, which can lead to an expensive rip.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The longer the tarp, the higher it has to be hung to clear the hammock suspension...that's just the nature of the beast.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Yeah that is how it works but you can do a v with the tarp suspension. It gives you more coverage but the tarp is really close
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Ok yea that's what I was afraid of, just didn't know if there was any magical trick. Thanks for the responses.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    With that tarp, (I have one, too) you really don't have to bring the tarp down close to the hammock unless it is winter or you expect high winds. The tarp is plenty big enough to raise it up higher than you would a smaller tarp. Play around with different heights and I think you may be surprised at how much coverage you can get with a lot of air space above you.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the same tarp and did just what you said, poked a hole with a toggle on the end. My thoughts are a shorter tarp is better. I have an 8x10 that is easier to suck up into the tarp then the HG. Helps with CBS. Waiting to try out a new sil 10x10 to see if I like the length and width for winter use. If so, in the future would like a 10x10 cuben with the same spaced tie-outs as the HG for door set-up with a cat cut. So basically, a standard HG cuben with about 10" cut out of the middle section. I like the tarp I have, but with the side tie-outs evenly spaced the doors tend to pull in on a steep angle rather then straight down. Here are a couple of pictures. You can see the hammock ends. The hammocks are hung pretty tight to get that high up. That is why I am thinking a 10x10 would work well for better coverage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hennessy Typhoon
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    woopies
    A structural ridge line would help. If its strong enough you could tighten it as tight as your tarp lines.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast