WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    If you are staying with canisters I suggest a remote feed stove where you can invert the canister. I use a MSR WindPro II for that very reasons you mentioned.

S

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HangingKayaker View Post
    After spending another winter night out in the bush I have assembled the following points to ponder;
    - I still can't get methyl hydrate to burn with any consistency (in a bios type stove), even when kept warm (is HEET the answer?)
    - Even my Soto micro stove failed miserably at -16c with a jetboil canister, well not really the stove, it was the gas, and being 4 season gas, I never went out of my way to keep it warm
    In winter I prefer to burn wood. I use an Emberlit stove. It works great and I have yet to find a temperature that I couldn't burn dry sticks.

Shug can speak to using an alcohol stove an deep winter temperatures. I believe keeping the stove and the fuel warm is key to success.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sploiz View Post
    -16c is crazy cold. I don't think I would work at that temp.
    Cold doesn't start until about -25. And even that isn't really that cold.
    I'm sure up in Edmonton the mercury drops a long way below that on many days.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HangingKayaker View Post
    - Even my Soto micro stove failed miserably at -16c with a jetboil canister, well not really the stove, it was the gas, and being 4 season gas, I never went out of my way to keep it warm.
    The Jetboil canisters are definitely NOT 4 season. All Isopro canisters are best used above ~20f/-7c. The propane tends to burn off first, leaving you with Isobutane which will not boil below -12c. This means no fuel will go to your stove unless you have a remote feed to invert the canister. I've had luck using canisters down to 5f, but I keep it in my jacket or sleeping bag.

As for freezer bag cooking, now that I have a dehydrator I love it! I can make all my awesome food at home, dehydrate it, and then re-hydrate while on the trail. I've made some pretty good meals this way. I agree that the Knorr/Lipton sides are not that great when re-hydrated in a bag, especially the pasta sides.

Hammock
    Hummingbird double
    Tarp
    HG 4 season C.F.
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG& EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texico View Post
    The Jetboil canisters are definitely NOT 4 season. All Isopro canisters are best used above ~20f/-7c. The propane tends to burn off first, leaving you with Isobutane which will not boil below -12c. This means no fuel will go to your stove unless you have a remote feed to invert the canister. I've had luck using canisters down to 5f, but I keep it in my jacket or sleeping bag.

As for freezer bag cooking, now that I have a dehydrator I love it! I can make all my awesome food at home, dehydrate it, and then re-hydrate while on the trail. I've made some pretty good meals this way. I agree that the Knorr/Lipton sides are not that great when re-hydrated in a bag, especially the pasta sides.
    Thought I read somewhere that you have to use special ziplocs when cooking in freezer bags due to the plastic leeching into your food when you add boiling water. Or are you talking about another method?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Cold doesn't start until about -25. And even that isn't really that cold. I'm sure up in Edmonton the mercury drops a long way below that on many days.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12