The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

A place to hang at Anza Borrego?

My father is taking two of my boys camping in Anza Borrego state park in CA next week and my youngest can't stand the thought of sleeping in a tent. Is there anyone who has camped there and successfully hung? On something other than a cactus?

He is used to the New England piney woods and he doesn't quite understand that the rest of the world isn't quite the same.
    Thank s for any help.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Been many years ago, but I used to hike in to a little oasis on a marked and improved trail, about 1 1/2 miles in from the road. There was a small spring and several palms. I've always thought it would make a wonderful hang. It is behind a fold in the mountain, and cannot be seen from more than 50 yards away. From a distance it just looks like more desert. No other trees anywhere nearby. Might be worth looking into.

- Duffy
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    WBBB / diy gathered
    Tarp
    kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Sleepingbag / Pad
    Suspension
    Web / whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Been many years ago, but I used to hike in to a little oasis on a marked and improved trail, about 1 1/2 miles in from the road. There was a small spring and several palms. I've always thought it would make a wonderful hang. It is behind a fold in the mountain, and cannot be seen from more than 50 yards away. From a distance it just looks like more desert. No other trees anywhere nearby. Might be worth looking into.

- Duffy
    I believe the area you are talking about is called 17 palms

Limited Opportunities

I have hung in "Palm Canyon" a few times over the years. The first palm grove is kind of closed off to allow regrowth, so you can't hang there. There are a few more thinner palm groves beyond that, but the trail gets rougher too. Finally there is a big sycamore that may be possible to hang more than one hammock from, but the terrain is quite rough getting up there.

You didn't mention their ages, but they would need to be teens in good shape for this place. Otherwise I've hung a single hammock in the third palm grove, but you would have difficulty finding additional hanging sites for multiple hammocks.

It takes a 4x4 to get into Sheep and Indian canyon. These canyons are more overgrown. Hammocking is possible, but you'll get more scratched up hiking in there.

However, you could get a place in the campground which is at the beginning of the Palm Canyon hike. This is only about a mile from the visitor's center. The shade veranda above the picnic tables offers the best hanging opportunity that you are likely to find. Maybe camp there and do dayhikes?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

A place to hang at Anza Borrego?

Thanks guys. The plan is to spend the night then hike around the next morning. I've been the palm canyon. I didn't think you could camp there though. The boys are 15 and 8, but you'd be surprised what my 8yo can do. I'll have to have my dad look into it.

Better yet Agua Caliente

Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    Thanks guys. The plan is to spend the night then hike around the next morning. I've been the palm canyon. I didn't think you could camp there though. The boys are 15 and 8, but you'd be surprised what my 8yo can do. I'll have to have my dad look into it.
    Yeah, you can camp there, and you probably won't see anybody beyond the first palm grove. Two years ago I hiked to the first palm grove with my mom, in her mid 70's, we saw several big horn sheep.

I just thought of a better place to camp and hang. Agua Caliente hot springs. It's out past scissors crossing, and there is a campground by the hot spring that has willows big enough to hang from. I have hung there many times. The hot springs hours of operation are short however.

A nice loop trail starts from the campground, about an hour, but can be extend if you have a good map or guide book.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    You should check out Fish Creek, there are some camping spots there. Last time I was in AB was in 2008.

...or if you have large enough straps

EDIT: Here's a trip report last year to AB - not my TR

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=60006

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    Thanks. I sent your ideas to my dad. He's been there a few times but is a noted ground dweller so we'll see what he says.

• + New Posts