Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hadn't thought about snakeskins for the tarp but probably not a bad idea. Right now I just use them for the hammock itself.

Ok, so it's dark and cold out but I got the pad turned around. The narrow end is now at the feet. I still have it with the black seam on the bottom, though. Otherwise the loops didn't match the holes. It still doesn't seem quite right but I think it's more the UC than the pad at this point.

The mountain is coming from the UC sucking up. I loosened the loops that hold the UC to the tree lines but it's still puckering up. Is it not supposed to lay flat to follow the contour of the hammock bottom? I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow afternoon.

Tnx for the help guys. I'll check out BBs packing method, too.

ETA: I do use the space blanket.
    Last edited by JaxHiker; 01-20-2009 at 21:42.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    The "Super Shelter" isn't so super. OK at best. It should be called the OK Shelter. Atleast it's priced lower than underquilts.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Ok, so it's dark and cold out but I got the pad turned around. The narrow end is now at the feet. I still have it with the black seam on the bottom, though. Otherwise the loops didn't match the holes. It still doesn't seem quite right but I think it's more the UC than the pad at this point.
    Could it be inside out? I've never seen one of these things so I don't know what this black seam is. But turning what you have as the outside in would reverse the asymmetry on the sides, and leave you with the narrow end at the feet.

Grizz

It is most likely inside out. It is very easy to do and will cause untold grief trying to get the side tieouts to line up.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It probably is. I fiddled with it for a while on the ground and gave up. I'll see how it works tonight and then take it down and re-check everything tomorrow. I can easily see how the thing can get inside out. If you don't hear back from me, mission failed and I'm a popsicle.

Images

The mountain is coming from the UC sucking up. I loosened the loops that hold the UC to the tree lines but it's still puckering up. Is it not supposed to lay flat to follow the contour of the hammock bottom? I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow afternoon.

Tnx for the help guys. I'll check out BBs packing method, too.

ETA: I do use the space blanket.
    OK, just to be clear, when I say "black seam", I'm talking about the seam on the under cover, not a seam on the under pad. The Sil-Nylon undercover ( mine anyway- over 2 years old) has a seam around the bottom opening, the one you go in and out of, at the bottom entry. This seam is the same color as the rest of the undercover(UC). The black seam goes up higher, and when attached properly will be at about the same level ( roughly) as where your net joins to the hammock body. This black seam forms the top hole that the netting and ridgelie poke out of at the top. And this black seam will run all the way around the hammock at about the same place as the net joins to the hammock body. But then the seam will cross over the net/ridgeline on each end, where the suspension rope and UC elastic cords go through the holes in the UC and then to the tree.

And there is the possibility ( like Griz et all said) that you have it turned inside out. If that was the case, the only way the side holes would line up would be if the black seam was on the bottom, I think?

It also sounds like you may have the under pad and/or undercover lines drawn too tight, and you might need to loosen the prussick hooks ( if yours attach that way- I hear some newer ones use glove hooks). Really, you are supposed to attach the tarp first, letting correct tarp adjustment determine where the prussick hooks are at. Then, you hook the SS to the prussicks. On mine, the prussick hooks are about a hands length from the end of the hammock.

When you have the tension correct, the UC should just barely touch the the underpad, and the underpad should just barely touch the hammock body. Then when you lie in it, it will all snug up against your back. But it is really not critical, anywhere in the ball park will do, as long as it is not loose enough to leave a gap once you are in. No gaps! Gaps=cold!

The UC tension becomes more important once you start adding clothing. If too tight, the undercover will compress the loft of, say, a down vest, greatly reducing warmth. Again, too loose will cause a gap=cold.

If I lived closer to you, I would just run over there tomorrow and show you. I bet I could have it going in 5 minutes max, unless they have sent you a defective one, which is possible. As soon as you saw it go on and how simple that was, you would think "well, how simple is that!". But it can be baffling when you are first looking at it. Also, if I had it up I would send you some step by step pics. But I am sleeping out tonight in a JRB BMBH and Mt.Washington underquilt.

Good luck, hope you don't freeze!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok, there is a black seam that I have running around the top. Perhaps I have the tension on the UC too tight and that's causing the problem. I sort of skipped the tarp part since I use the MacCat. Maybe I should use the stock tarp to set the prusik location and then swap it out.

I think you may have knocked some sense into me BB. Maybe I have everything too tight trying to force it to snuggle up to the bottom of the hammock and that's wreaking havoc on me instead.

Lived closer? It's only a 10 hour drive. I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm sure I'll get it when I least expect it and everything will click and I'll no recourse but to smack my forehead at how dense I was.

Oh, and if you haven't figured it out I survived. The only problems I really had are I had to pee twice (which I never do during the night) and my feet were cold when I got up. Guess I'll have to read the peeing thread now and make sure I wear my wool socks.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Congrats on a successful night!

You kinda proved the point that it matters less what the hammock looks like unloaded than how it all comes together loaded. When you get inside, things sorta fall into place if you have the pieces right side up, close to the right position, and loose enough to end up where they belong.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Ok, there is a black seam that I have running around the top. Perhaps I have the tension on the UC too tight and that's causing the problem. I sort of skipped the tarp part since I use the MacCat. Maybe I should use the stock tarp to set the prusik location and then swap it out.

I think you may have knocked some sense into me BB. Maybe I have everything too tight trying to force it to snuggle up to the bottom of the hammock and that's wreaking havoc on me instead.

Lived closer? It's only a 10 hour drive. I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm sure I'll get it when I least expect it and everything will click and I'll no recourse but to smack my forehead at how dense I was.

Oh, and if you haven't figured it out I survived. The only problems I really had are I had to pee twice (which I never do during the night) and my feet were cold when I got up. Guess I'll have to read the peeing thread now and make sure I wear my wool socks.
    If you had to pee an unusual amount, you might have been a little chilled, especially around the kidney/lower back area. That's one reason HH makes the kidney/torso pad option. But with every system pushed near it's limit, CBS ( cold butt syndrom) seems to be very common. Glad you made it out alive. So did I, after a 16*F night- but I had a good sleep, which has never happened before in the back yard. I usually can't sleep back there!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You know what I meant to do and forgot is to add my pack towel. It's one of those light quick-dry microfiber towels. I'll throw that in tonight and see if it helps with the "urge".

I didn't quite get down to your temp. It's really hard to say since my thermometer doesn't seem to go below 35 but the radio said it was 28 as I was driving in 45 min after I left the hammock. I just wish I knew what the real range was. I'm honestly considering buying a Kestrel weather device so I can keep tabs on that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast