Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Angry SS Driving Me Insane

Ok, I have to be doing something seriously wrong here. I got my SS this past weekend and can't for the life of me figure this thing out. Hell, I develop software for a living and this is boggling my mind. It seems like I can't get anything to fit/lay right/flat. Ok, maybe I'm assuming it should lay flat but I don't see why it wouldn't. Instead, I end up with a mountain in the middle. This is what it looks like from outside. Notice how the opening to the SS is super high and at an angle.

This is the mountain I was talking about.

This is what it looked like when I lifted the hammock.

And finally, how bunched up it is when I'm inside.

I assumed that the loops on the pad would match perfectly with the tie-outs on the hammock and the holes in the UC. Instead it sits cockeyed with a few inches' gap. Not sure if this is contributing to my troubles or not.

The instructions really don't seem that hard and I'm befuddled as to why this is causing me such grief but I've about had it.

I think you have the pad in there upside down. Did you try it the other way? The side ties should line up with the tieouts on the hammock and the UC. It should not be bunched up like that.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I develop software for a living
    That's the problem... this is hardware.

Seriously, the pad has a seam that goes from one hammock tie out to the other. If the loops on the pad don't line up with the tie-outs on the hammock, it is upside down.

The pad should lie along the asymmetrical diagonal, head to the left and foot to the right, as you lie on your back. The entrance at the foot will be at the left edge of the pad. You have to arrange the hammock and the supershelter so that it all lays correctly.

Also, don't pull the ends tight until the tie outs are fastened in place.

Hope this helps!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

side tie-outs need more vertical, less horizontal

Crap, can't change the title once submitted... What I meant to say is more horizontal, less vertical!

My guess from looking at your pics is your side tieouts need to be attached to something to get more horizontal pull. From the pic, they look almost vertical. The more straight out they go, the better.

I use my trekking poles for this:

You also should double or triple-up the elastics as shown in the photo.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think I tried the pad with the seam black side up but I'll try it again.

MacEntyre (aka funny man), maybe that's part of the problem. I'm trying to put it in straight, not on the asym line. btw, this is why I don't do hardware.

Kurt, you're right, I have the side tie-outs almost vertical. This is because I'm trying to pitch my tarp steep so it'll block the wind. I'll try them more horizontal, though, and see if it clears it up.

Thanks. I'll let you know what happens after dinner.

Images
    Both the under cover left opening and under pad left tie out loop should line up, within an inch or two, with the HH left side tie out elastics. If this is done, the right side should automatically also be lined up without having to do anything.

There is a top opening on the undercover which runs the full length of the hammock, in a circle around both sides. I believe it is hemmed in black, but I'd have to dig it out and look, so someone correct me if I am wrong. Just make sure this black hem is running along the top side of the hammock on both ends- it should go over the net on both ends. Then on the foot end is a large opening that lines up perfectly with the bottom opening of the hammock, and about the same size as the hammock opening.

The opening for the suspension rope and pad end elastics on one end ( foot I think) is very small and hard to see. I often have to run a finger through it and "hook" the suspension rope and pull it through. If you don't get the suspension rope and pad elastic cords through these holes correctly on both ends, things will be totally screwed up.

It looked to me like your pad might have been upside down. The pad has a bathtub shape, just make sure it is in there with the narrow end at the foot and oriented so that it will be curving around your back, as though you are laying in a bathtub. If you have a pad loop on one side lined up with the hammock elastic tie outs, and the other side is out of alignment by more than a few inches at most, then you probably have it in either upside down of foot(narrow) end wrongly at the head end.

It is easy to get the thing turned inside out if you are not careful when taking it on and off. If things are totally messed up, just take it off, lay it on your living room floor where you can be comfy, and try to picture how it should go. Concentrate on making sure that black hem is on top, and running along the edge of the net on both sides and then over the top of the net at the foot and head AFTER you have put the hammock ropes through the holes.

It drove me crazy also, when I first tried to set it up in the field as the sun set and temps dropped. I had done it once at home, not certain I had it right, and didn't know to just leave it on there. But hang in there. After you have put it on a few times for practice, you will see there is absolutely nothing to it. It is nothing more than a hammock for your hammock, a bathtub shaped piece of cloth and foam that your hammock lies down into with a custom fit. But once you have done it enough to feel confident, then just leave the sucker on there and don't take it off untill summer time, and maybe not then.

You will get it soon enough. If it's cold and windy outside, tie it up to doors and bedposts or whatever in the house and attach in there. Just don't forget and lay down in it, or you will break something!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    then just leave the sucker on there and don't take it off untill summer time, and maybe not then.
    Good point! I have never used my Hennessy without the SuperShelter and it's pad.

I read someone's post recently that said it has to be above 75 degrees for them to sleep without insulation underneath.

JaxHiker, after you get used to how the asym lie works, you'll find that when you rig the tarp steep and close to block the wind, you can hang without tying the hammock out. That allows the sides to rise up around you and help block the wind.

Hope your debugger works better now!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It looked to me like your pad might have been upside down. The pad has a bathtub shape, just make sure it is in there with the narrow end at the foot and oriented so that it will be curving around your back, as though you are laying in a bathtub. If you have a pad loop on one side lined up with the hammock elastic tie outs, and the other side is out of alignment by more than a few inches at most, then you probably have it in either upside down of foot(narrow) end wrongly at the head end.
    Ok, this is probably a big problem. I was thinking the narrow end would be at the head since the hammock narrows. I'll turn it around and see how it goes.

It is easy to get the thing turned inside out if you are not careful when taking it on and off. If things are totally messed up, just take it off, lay it on your living room floor where you can be comfy, and try to picture how it should go. Concentrate on making sure that black hem is on top, and running along the edge of the net on both sides and then over the top of the net at the foot and head AFTER you have put the hammock ropes through the holes.
    This also irked me this afternoon. I have one end that looks right (where the tree lines go through) but the other side is all jabberwocky. I tried and tried and couldn't make it look right. I'll tackle that another day.

You will get it soon enough. If it's cold and windy outside, tie it up to doors and bedposts or whatever in the house and attach in there. Just don't forget and lay down in it, or you will break something!
    It's cold and windy tonight, that's why I'm sleeping outside.

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    JaxHiker, after you get used to how the asym lie works, you'll find that when you rig the tarp steep and close to block the wind, you can hang without tying the hammock out. That allows the sides to rise up around you and help block the wind.

Hope your debugger works better now!
    - MacEntyre
    Hmm, I've been using the hammock for a while but I've never had a need to pitch steep. I might try it w/o the side tie-outs too.

As for the debugger, I think I need to set a couple more breakpoints.

How well does the pad hold up if you keep everything together? I also wondered if it'd make things too big for the snakeskins or if it'd be a hassle to stuff everything back in the sack.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    How well does the pad hold up if you keep everything together? ...too big for the snakeskins or if it'd be a hassle to stuff everything back in the sack.
    I put my snakeskins on my tarp, which is larger than the Hennessy stock fly. I hang the tarp seperate from the hammock.

I leave my hammock, undercover and pad all rigged together and stow it in a stuff sack. Do a search on the forum and read about BlackBishop's way of rigging a stuff sack on the support line at one end.

Treat the pad gently... you can wrap it in the hammock and stuff it, but it is fragile!
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Ok, this is probably a big problem. I was thinking the narrow end would be at the head since the hammock narrows. I'll turn it around and see how it goes.
    Oh yeah, correcting that should make a dif!

How well does the pad hold up if you keep everything together? I also wondered if it'd make things too big for the snakeskins or if it'd be a hassle to stuff everything back in the sack.
    The pad is really fragile. So you will either need to be really careful, or just leave it all together. Then with a little caution, it should hold together pretty good. If you poke a hole in it it, you can patch it with some seam sealer, and function will not really be affected.

I think I forgot to say: use the $2 WM space blanket ( or heat sheet- quieter, easier to work with, more durable) like Tom H. says. Otherwise, I predict you will be cold or wet(condensation in the pad) or both. And if you are going much below 30, you may want to put something light and fluffy ( like a down vest) down in the undercover under your lower back.

Have fun!
    Bill

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast