Images
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    That sucks. I hope your homeowners/renters insurance covers the theft.
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    This really makes me stop and think. I do a trip every so often with the scouts. We hike in about a mile, drop off the main trail, set up camp, leave our main packs, and take a day pack then hike to the submit, stopping to eat lunch somewhere along the way. We are usually gone a good six or seven hours. So far, nothing has come up missing, but this really has me rethinking doing this in the future.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    That is just rotten! You're expect anyone who's enlightened enough to be exploring the woods would have better values than that! Maybe it was a raccoon...they're always stealing stuff...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    This really makes me stop and think. I do a trip every so often with the scouts. We hike in about a mile, drop off the main trail, set up camp, leave our main packs, and take a day pack then hike to the submit, stopping to eat lunch somewhere along the way. We are usually gone a good six or seven hours. So far, nothing has come up missing, but this really has me rethinking doing this in the future.......RR
    Of course, that sort of scenario is way less likely to end in thievery than if you are at a drive in camp. I mean, another backpacker ( or at least someone hiking at least a mile and off of the main trail) who also happens to be a thief would have to stumble upon your camp. Seems unlikely, but possible. Heck, even at the drive in sites, you usually don't get your stuff stolen. My feeling is your odds would be way more in your favor when hiking in, and even more so if off the main trail.

Makes me think of one time when I was hiking up to Titcomb Basin in the Wind Rivers, probably at least 15 miles from the nearest car/TH, with only a very few cars parked there. Near the base of Fremont Peak, on the other side of which were large glaciers, we came upon a half dozen ice axes all lined up neatly beside the trail. I don't know where the owners were, I guess climbing some where or day hiking where they would not need them. I wondered how often they might return to missing items, and how bad that would mess them up if they did.

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Sorry to hear that.

--louis

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps
    Hi Neo,
    I’m sorry to learn about the theft of your hammock. I would like to suggest that you put a picture of the stolen hammock in the current thread. That way if any of the Hammock Forums community members see it for sale anywhere (Craigs List, Ebay, flea markets, or where ever), we could let you know.
    I would like to get in on one of your trips sometime and meet other hangers & paddlers. Maybe I can during warm weather. It was a good that you went on this trip so well prepared and had another hammock to sleep in. Hopefully the rest of the trip will go well and be a positive and uplifting experience.

Side note: When we paddle moving water and have to move vehicles for the shuttle. There is something unnerving about leaving all of our kayaks and gear sitting all alone at a put in…while we drop vehicles at the take out.
    I always leave one person at the put in with all of our boats (unless there are only 2 of us paddling) then we drive like crazy to rush back to our boats. I’ve only left my boats alone one time. That was probably one time to many. The realization that all of our stuff could be loaded up and never seen again made me sick.

Good wishes sent you way to recover any and all stolen items.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Of course, that sort of scenario is way less likely to end in thievery than if you are at a drive in camp. I mean, another backpacker ( or at least someone hiking at least a mile and off of the main trail) who also happens to be a thief would have to stumble upon your camp. Seems unlikely, but possible. Heck, even at the drive in sites, you usually don't get your stuff stolen. My feeling is your odds would be way more in your favor when hiking in, and even more so if off the main trail.

Makes me think of one time when I was hiking up to Titcomb Basin in the Wind Rivers, probably at least 15 miles from the nearest car/TH, with only a very few cars parked there. Near the base of Fremont Peak, on the other side of which were large glaciers, we came upon a half dozen ice axes all lined up neatly beside the trail. I don't know where the owners were, I guess climbing some where or day hiking where they would not need them. I wondered how often they might return to missing items, and how bad that would mess them up if they did.
    This is true. Once, we returned and found another camp just across this little creek from us. No problems, but they would have had to go right past our gear to get to their spot. The spot where we set up, others had used prior. Just need to go a little further off the trail, and out of sight. Need to get the scouts to avoid the bright colors when making gear purchases, whether it's t**ts or tarps.

Still makes me think. Need to make sure we are well off the beaten path, and it's why I like my camo gear........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Neo,

Cause I like you and you've always been really cool towards me id be willing to paypal you 20$ towards some replacement gear, if more did the same you would have enough to cut a big chunk off the cost to replace the stolen ghear. Send me a PM with your paypal addy if you want.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast