'no sniveller' or pea pod

'no sniveler' or pea pod

six of one half dozen of the other?
    a rose by any other name?
    whatever?

any thoughts about why you would choose one over the other?
    they both look great to me. the pod looks like you can go with out a sleeping bag or a top quilt for most of a thru hike

I also need a tarp, eno stay dri? jacks tarp? speer tarp?

pt

thanks!

Images
    I own a No Sniveller and a MacCat Deluxe Tarp. Wouldnt have it any other way. I think the Pea Pod could/does cause condensation issues for some. Im a warm sleeper and think that the NS gives you more freedom of movement. The MacCat is great, but the Jacks make a HIGH QUALITY product so you wouldnt go wrong with them either. If you sew your own gear, check out BlackBishops home made BlackCat tarp instructions and make your own. Just my 2 grams...err, 2 cents. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Depends on what hammock you use - the PeaPod works better on a Speer-type, the JRB works better on a Hennessy. Both good products for what they're designed for.

The PeaPod needs a top blanket below about 50F. But it also can't close when you use a bug net...which is a must for a thru.

There are a few threads here about the PeaPod vs Underquilt...check the archives and you'll find some good stuff.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    depends on what kind of conditions you plan to be sleeping in.
    the pea pod is normally used with a top quilt because the sides of the hammock will tend to hold the pea pod up off of you a few inches.
    but because it's insulated, you can stay warm w/ a lighter quilt than you would w/ just an underquilt.
    you can also leave the top of the pod open so it serves as an underquilt. very versatile piece of equipment.

bird dog, i believe you must be thinking about some of the socks when you talk about condensation. the only way you would have condensation problems w/ the pea pod is if you zipped it up & slept w/ your face inside. but that would be no different than doing the same w/ a sleeping bag.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You could get more use from a No Sniveller because you can also wear them as a down poncho and they convert into a top quilt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Thanks. I probably should have mentioned that I have an ENO single hammock. I was also going to use the eno bug net which looks like it fits around everything. I have spoken with Jacks on the phone and really liked him and his product and have NO DOUBT about the quality. I;m just thinking about warmth and versatility. is the no sniveller and a 35 degree bag a good option?
    man maybe i just need to pull the trigger and live with whatever i get.

pt

Images
    Just to further complicate matters for you, the Jacks are closing out their Biker/Hiker quilt that looks like it could be used as a faux PeaPod. I'm very tempted myself. I'd use it with a Nest I recently purchased and a Crazy Crib hammock. I've just spent too much money lately....

I got the Biker Quilt and Shenandoah Summer Quilt last summer, to use as a PeaPod-type wraparound and top quilt, respectively.

The Biker Quilt will not be able to close at the ends since it won't reach the ends of the hammock (unless you and your hammock are ridiculously short). I just stuffed the holes w/clothing, which worked great. That's some saved weight over the Peapod, which runs the entire length of a hammock. I used them in July/August in Maine and New Hampshire, and they were warm enough for the coldest nights I encountered there. No idea as to the actual temps.

One thing I noticed about the Biker Quilt is that the top tends to get compressed from the forces pulling downward on the rest of the quilt. Also, the down tends to shift to the bottom, since the baffles run the width of the quilt instead of lengthwise. So a top quilt is definitely necessary.

The Biker Quilt is rather thin, meaning that it provides less warmth/weight than thicker quilts. If I were starting from scratch, I'd get either the Mt Rogers Quilt or yet-to-be-seen Katadhin Quilt over the Biker Quilt. Both are the same design as the Biker Quilt, but thicker.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    bird dog, i believe you must be thinking about some of the socks when you talk about condensation. the only way you would have condensation problems w/ the pea pod is if you zipped it up & slept w/ your face inside. but that would be no different than doing the same w/ a sleeping bag.
    Youre right, Im wrong (sounds like Im talking to my wife). BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts