WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Several years ago we had a very strange set of sounds coming from the woods behind our cattle barn. It was a loud roar type sound followed by what sounded like a woman screaming. Dad thought it was a mountain lion so he grabbed the shot gun and went up to check on the new calf we had in the barn. My german shepard went with. While standing in the main hall of the barn with all the lights on the sounds kept getting closer and louder until a large male coon came into the light and jumped my dog. Dad used the barrel of the gun to seperate them and then shot the coon as it tried to attack him and the shotgun. Weirdest experience ever and we would have never thought a coon would make those sounds. In the end you never know whats out there until it bites your shotgun.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Dutchware half zipped
    Tarp
    Cheap Amazon speci
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UG
    Suspension
    Dutchware beetle b
    I can attest to some extremely strange sounds out there. When I was a Teen I was in the woods around my house that butt up to the Pisgah National Forest in NC. I heard something like a hooting/howl then loud crashing through the woods. It has been so long now I couldn't really look up anything and really remember accurately the sound. For a long time I believed in Big Foot but now, not so sure lol.
    However, I will attest that Dogs senses are something to trust. My dog and I were hanging by a camp fire at the bottom of my property and she perked up all of a sudden and stared in on direction of the woods. After sitting quietly I couldn't hear anything or see anything. So I stood up as soon as I did a deer blew and took off. Scared me because it was so close but amazed me that my dog knew where it was and heard it way before I did.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatknot View Post
    Scary. Can anyone tell me what animal sounds like small children trying to talk. . But with a kind of drawn out 'speech?' Of course, I couldnt make out any words (no way it was human). Its been a mystery to me for years. In cold light of day I considered it might be a group of pole cats, or fox but the sounds did not match - can't find any animal that makes these sounds. Sorry to ramble off the thread topic. . But I've every bit of empathy for the heebeejeebies you must have had!
    Do you have porcupine over there? Do a search on their vocalizations. They're creepy sounding. I spent an entire summer listening to that all night every night as three of them tried to eat the plywood from our outhouse. The two that couldn't fit in to chew just stood outside shrieking all night.

Hammock
    My Modded TW hammock
    Tarp
    Alpkit
    Insulation
    UK custom 75% UQ.
    Suspension
    Erm. . Custom.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Do you have porcupine over there? Do a search on their vocalizations. They're creepy sounding. I spent an entire summer listening to that all night every night as three of them tried to eat the plywood from our outhouse. The two that couldn't fit in to chew just stood outside shrieking all night.
    Hi NWOHanger, thanks for replying. Wow, thanks to your suggestion I think its sound is very close to that but it was a little more sedate and less sqeeky. . But I never knew a Porcupine could sound like that. I was tent camping in the Scotish lowlands at the time and there was certainly more than one animal - sounded like they were having a conversation . . And with only my tent rainfly between us! Um, I did the, 'sit up quick and hug sleeping bag' move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4lsu...e_gdata_player

Hammock
    My Modded TW hammock
    Tarp
    Alpkit
    Insulation
    UK custom 75% UQ.
    Suspension
    Erm. . Custom.
    Hairbear, right there next to pocupine is the sound of a baby bear. Does sound a bit like a monkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDyh...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Whatknot; 02-16-2013 at 13:30. Reason: Should be this link

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    Wow that is almost exactly what i heard,but ive never heard any reports of bears in this part of missouri. The conservation dept. denied the presence of mountain lions for years until someone shot one,so i guess there is a chance.
    There was a report of a black bear in Sullivan County in 2009. Maybe you got very very lucky!
    An encounter with megafauna and no one got hurt: Win/Win!!

"Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatknot View Post
    Scary. Can anyone tell me what animal sounds like small children trying to talk. . But with a kind of drawn out 'speech?' Of course, I couldnt make out any words (no way it was human). Its been a mystery to me for years. In cold light of day I considered it might be a group of pole cats, or fox but the sounds did not match - can't find any animal that makes these sounds. Sorry to ramble off the thread topic. . But I've every bit of empathy for the heebeejeebies you must have had!
    It was probably a fox or a badger, both can make some really strange noises...

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Porcs have a very wide range of sounds. The one in your link Whatknot sounds nothing like the vocalizations I've heard.
    The below link is very similar, except the ones I've herad were much louder and more urgent sounding.
    http://rabid1st.livejournal.com/340775.html

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG JEFF View Post
    Noise in the night will really mess with you. Last year in April on the AT in GA a turkey flew into my suspension during the night. You can only imagine the things that went threw my mind.
    I can't imaging what ended up in your drose!

Hammock
    My Modded TW hammock
    Tarp
    Alpkit
    Insulation
    UK custom 75% UQ.
    Suspension
    Erm. . Custom.
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Porcs have a very wide range of sounds. The one in your link Whatknot sounds nothing like the vocalizations I've heard.
    The below link is very similar, except the ones I've herad were much louder and more urgent sounding.
    http://rabid1st.livejournal.com/340775.html
    Is that real?? That's what I was describing - sounding like actual talking. Don't think there are wild porcupines in Scotland but so far, it is the closest match I have heard.

I expect the porcupines that you heard were quite distressed?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast