View Poll Results: Where should this hang happen at?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Henry Coe State Park: Manzanita point group site 4

5 31.25%
  • Boggs Mtn. State Forest: Ridge group site

4 25.00%
  • North Cow Mtn. Recreation area: Mayacamus Campground

1 6.25%
  • Lake Solano Wildlife Area: Lake Solano Campground

2 12.50%
  • Point Reyes National Seashore: Sky Camp site 8

9 56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

CA>Northern CA(specifics TBD)>4/12-14

Hey there northern CA hangers!
    I'm looking to put together another hang for those of us in the greater norcal area. I'm trying to plan this a couple months out so as to get the best turnout possible.
    Last weekend I had a couple guys show up for the Berryessa/Napa hang and it seemed as though a good time was had all around. It seemed to be the first group outing for the norcal region and I'm hoping there will be many more in the future.
    I was getting kind of jealous seeing all the group hang trip reports coming in from the east coast and even the frigid piney woods of the upper midwest as well as some in the pac northwest. Also, it looks as if some socal hangers are building up a group hang for Bluejay campground a ways south of here. I would love to make it to that hang or even one up in the pacific northwest but alas, I only have a couple weeks vacation time at work and my family all lives in Minnesota so I typically reserve most of my vacation time for an annual trip back home. And for me, if I'm gonna drive 6 hours for a camping trip, it only makes sense to go for 4-5 days.
    As far as where exactly this hang will take place? I am receptive to any and all suggestions.
    But here's my shortlist:

Point Reyes National Seashore> All campgrounds are hike in.
    More info can be found here \/
    http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Big Sur
    Specifically Juilia Pfeiffer State Park
    There are definitely other places within Big Sur but this is the spot with which I have personal experience. If you know of other places that would be conducive to a group hang please chime in.

Lake Berryessa
    All sites will be hike-in and primitive with no amenities. Located on BLM land where we would pretty much have free range to hike and camp where we please. There are several trailheads to depart from and thus several different site options. There are campgrounds/resorts at the lakeside but I'm unfamiliar with the fees and rules associated with them.

Tahoe National Forest
    I'm not as familiar with this specific area other than driving through it to get to Truckee. I've been told camping and hanging opportunities are fantastic. National forests are a great resource that allow many different camping and hiking options with less regulations ie. dogs allowed, dispersed camping allowed, low(if any) fees.

Pacific Crest trail
    One of the longest and most storied trails in the US. I've only hiked/hung near Castle peak but I know there are countless access points throughout the Sierras. I believe dogs and campfires are ok for most, if not all, of this trail. Plus, you can say you're section hiking

Tahoe Basin
    D.L. Bliss state park is beautiful and right on the west shore of the lake. There are many sites that would accommodate several hammocks.
    Also, the Tahoe rim trail is exceptionally beautiful and parallels the pacific crest trail along the western rim of the lake tahoe basin.

Hell Hole/French Meadows reservoirs
    West of Lake Tahoe. Wonderful sites with great views and some sites with multiple hammock options

Yosemite
    How can I leave Yosemite out of the equation? One of the few places I've been that left me awestruck. There are tons of hiking and backcountry opportunities here so I won't try to narrow it down at this point.

I've still got a lot to think over as far as where this hang will take place but I'm hoping to get some input from others in order to narrow it down. Also, if anybody knows about specific seasonal attributes I should be considering about any of these places let me know please ie. temperature/gear necessities.
    This list is by no means thorough and if you know of someplace that would be great for a group hang please chime in and I'll do my best to look into it.

I'll be updating this thread as I gather more information.
    Also, if it's not out of order I'll PM some forum members that I see have a norcal location to notify them of this thread. Mods, if this would be frowned upon please let me know, I didn't think I saw anything on posting rules to prohibit such a PM.

Thanks for reading,
    if you got this far, maybe you're willing to go a little futher...

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I'm interested! I think it is better to stay low (until June) in regards to the Sierras. Depending on the year the snow could hang around for quite awhile. I would suggest for everyone to take a close look at Meiss Country north of Carson Pass....it will take your breath away, in more than one way..... Come on Norcal hangers we can't be outdone by the guys down south! ha

Hi Dangler: We've had a NorCal hang and tried another. Boggs Mountain near Middletown in Lake Co.https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...boggs+mountain, Feather Falls near Oroville, https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=feather+falls, . Both were organized near this time of the year, last year.

You might want to keep in mind that though we all have hammocks in common, we use them in different outdoor pursuits. I'm a bike tourer, some are backpackers, others are car campers: some are UL and others are 'gear-heads' <- (me). A hike-in hang might halve the number of participants. A vehicle accessible hang site around amenities with options to day-hike or over-night further in might increase interest.

I'd like to see a swap-meet/expo kind of meet-and-greet hang early in the season. Bring everything you have, show off new stuff, get to touch and feel the stuff we're reading about, find out who lives near whom, etc. Use that time to pencil out later hangs by the people with mutual interests or that live in the same area, etc.

Unfortunately, if we want to hang with a view, we're either on the coast or in the Sierras. The 'meet in the middle' is most likely around Davis or Sacto.

http://www.geomidpoint.com/meet/

Two cents, please.
    Last edited by cardo; 02-17-2013 at 16:14.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

excellent

Quote Originally Posted by cardo View Post
    Hi Dangler: We've had a NorCal hang and tried another. Boggs Mountain near Middletown in Lake Co.https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...boggs+mountain, Feather Falls near Oroville, https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=feather+falls, . Both were organized near this time of the year, last year.

You might want to keep in mind that though we all have hammocks in common, we use them in different outdoor pursuits. I'm a bike tourer, some are backpackers, others are car campers: some are UL and others are 'gear-heads' <- (me). A hike-in hang might halve the number of participants. A vehicle accessible hang site around amenities with options to day-hike or over-night further in might increase interest.

I'd like to see a swap-meet/expo kind of meet-and-greet hang early in the season. Bring everything you have, show off new stuff, get to touch and feel the stuff we're reading about, find out who lives near whom, etc. Use that time to pencil out later hangs by the people with mutual interests or that live in the same area, etc.

Unfortunately, if we want to hang with a view, we're either on the coast or in the Sierras. The 'meet in the middle' is most likely around Davis or Sacto.

[Anyone know how to do an interactive map where we can show our proximate location?]

Two cents, please.
    Thanks Cardo,
    this is the exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!
    I totally missed that trip report about the norcal hang, it can be easy to miss posts and threads when trying to sift through all this forum has to offer. I do agree that somewhere central will get the best turnout. That's why I left the specific place to be determined. Also, as gary suggested, the sierras might not draw too many participants until the snow leaves the trail.

That's the main reasons why I left a specific location up in the air, so to speak. Obviously nobody is going to want to have to drive too far from their home location. And beyond that some may not want or have the ability to do hike in camping and I don't want to leave them out. My experience is mostly with backcountry/hike in camping so that's all I can really speak to. But that is not to say I have anything against car camping(which I love as well). I do agree though that a car camping site with some amenities will probably draw the most participation.
    Also, when getting a large group together comfort is key(that's why we're all in hammocks in the first place right?) and it would be nice to be able to bring and use some luxury items. But not only that, having restroom facilities and drinking water nearby is a definite plus when in a group setting.
    Another advantage to the car camping site would be for someone like me who is still developing and tweaking my setup. I'd like to be able to bring some extra stuff and try different setups and different combinations of kits to try to really dial it in and find out what I need and what I don't in order to better prepare for my backcountry treks.

I hope that it's a good sign that I got 2 responses before noon today and I hope to get many more. I'll do my best to take everyones input into consideration when choosing a location(I'll see if I can figure out how to set up a poll)
    And I think I'll add Boggs Mtn. to the mix, looks like a great place to set up!

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Boggs

The Boggs site is great for a number of reasons. Is has a little of something for everyone. Drive in, and you're ready to hang. Grab your pack, and you're ready to pick from a number of great hiking trails. You can also bring a mountain bike, your dog and have a great time. There's a store, about 5 miles away, and best of all the site was pretty much all ours.

I had surgery just before the last one, so I was only able to go on during the day. If we have one up here this time, I'll be more involved.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...12&postcount=1

Here's a link to the HF google map tutorial. Just added myself, it was pretty easy and you don't have to put the marker right at your doorstep. Didn't see too many markers on the west coast...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top &amp; bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Boggs Mt was a splendid place for a hang. Many fine perfectly distributed pines and no underbrush to speak of.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DANGLER View Post
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...12&postcount=1

Here's a link to the HF google map tutorial. Just added myself, it was pretty easy and you don't have to put the marker right at your doorstep. Didn't see too many markers on the west coast...
    There are something like 14 pages, so I'm on page 9 I think. You have to go thru each page to see all of those who've added themselves to the map. Of course, there are usually many more hangers who are in the area, but don't spend much time on the forum.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Just got back from an overnighter in the southern Big Sur area yesterday. If you were to do one at Pfeiffer, dates permitting, I'd likely be in.

.02 spent.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    ZPacks w/doors
    Suspension
    amsteel whoopies
    I like Boggs Mtn. Good place to hang with nice hikes. Had a great time there last year with the some other HF members. Nice group of people. Hope to do it again this year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast