Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images

BarberMike's M50 Hammock sewn by Raiffnuke

Well the story all starts back at the end of November when I saw the first 3 M50 hammocks being developed by a few members here and wanting one for myself. I have sewn a few other hammocks myself and they have turned out just fine and I loved them. The problem was that I didn't feel comfortable working with the M50 fabric on my own. I've worked with taffeta, 1.4oz ripstop, 1.1 ripstop. The problem was that the thinner and lighter the fabric got, the harder it was for me to work with. The problem wasn't me alone but also that my sewing machine just could not handle that fabric because of its baseplate. It would tend to jam. This is when I decided near the beginning of December to reach out to Raiffnuke, one of the first M50 guinea pigs. Raiffnuke was happy to jump at the chance to make another M50 hammock and gladly accepted the challenge. From there we messaged back and forth about the specifics of the hammock and what could and could not be done.

For this hammock I settled on the following:
    Dimensions: 132"x56"
    Channel sewn ends
    Knotty mod w/ 1/16" shock cord and tiny tiny cable locks
    Evergreen M50 fabric from Thru-Hiker
    Dynaglide whoopie slings
    Dynaglide ridge line

Well I received the hammock body and stuff sack from Raiffnuke in late December and quickly proceeded to put it together with the dynaglide whoopies and ridgeline I had made for it. Then I promptly threw it on the scale to find out just how little it weighed.
    The hammock body w/ Knotty mod and stuff sack came in at 4.75oz, the dynaglide whoopies combined were 0.80oz, and the dynaglide ridgeline was only 0.25oz.
    That equals a mere total of 5.80oz.! I could not be happier with the weight.

Now for the part everyone has been waiting for. The review!
    First I have to apologize to Raiffnuke since I received the hammock at the end of December I have not had a chance to lay in it till today. I have plenty of excuses I could use from mother nature not cooperating to working entirely too much to just enjoying life. The point is it should not have taken me this long to test it out.
    When you first handle the M50 fabric you would think you had been ripped off and that you had been sent nothing more than a glad brand garbage bag. To say that this material is thin and light is an understatement. There really is nothing there. You can't mentally trust that the material will hold you up. The second property that caught my eye was Raiffnuke's attention to quality and detail. I have to say the hammock is sewn perfectly. The hems are so perfectly straight you would have guessed a machine had to have made them.
    Now I bet you are wondering how it lays. Well today was the first time I had been able to lay in it and it was only for about 15 minutes. All I have to say so far is WOW! This thing is comfy! You sit down in the hammock lay back and readjust just ever so little and you just wanna take a nap. The first thing I noticed was how little time it took me to adjust and get comfortable. This hammock has NO shoulder squeeze. The calf ridge is just ever so slightly present but doesn't bother me one bit because it is so minimal and because it hits me right behind my knee and not under my calf. As for stretch I could not easily tell because the trees I had available right outside my house were not sufficient and would start to bow before I could notice if the hammock was stretching under my 190 lb frame.
    I can't wait to get this hammock out in the field this spring and really try it out! So comfy!

And now for the pictures!

The Hammock all packed up in its stuff sack including 8'tree straps.

All alone by its self.

Loaded up!

And the obligatory head and foot shots!

Last edited by barbermike; 02-17-2013 at 13:39.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    pics! pics! We got to see....Pics!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    working on the pics, had to switch from my tablet over to the comp to get them uploaded! please bare with me!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Very nice,,and much lighter than my M90 T hammock. Way to go!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the kind words Acer. I cant wait to use this hammock more. Its the most comfortable one I own. Don't know if that is because of the material or because it is an 11' hammock. I'm leaning more towards because its 11'

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Nice pictures! I am glad that I could do some work for you. M50 is some nice stuff to work with. I am glad you are happy with your hammock. As to the comfort, I think the biggest change is the fact that it is 11ft. But don't count out the comfort of the M50. I have a couple of 11 footers, and I really like the feel of the M50, plus, it really does block the wind well.

Enjoy! and Happy Hanging!

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Nice pictures! I am glad that I could do some work for you. M50 is some nice stuff to work with. I am glad you are happy with your hammock. As to the comfort, I think the biggest change is the fact that it is 11ft. But don't count out the comfort of the M50. I have a couple of 11 footers, and I really like the feel of the M50, plus, it really does block the wind well.

Enjoy! and Happy Hanging!
    So are you using a single layer not a double? Would you make one for me if had the funds?
    I joined Nehha on FB. If I can make a hang I'd really enjoy meeting you guys.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    Very nice job.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    So are you using a single layer not a double? Would you make one for me if had the funds?
    I joined Nehha on FB. If I can make a hang I'd really enjoy meeting you guys.
    Its just a single layer of M50 and is so so comfy! Durability is still to be tested. Only a few of these out in the wild that I know of.

Thanks Rooster!

Very nice hammock, I weigh slightly more than you (194) and I currently sleep in 1.0 and love it, although all the talk of M50 has me wanting to try it.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast