Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tried ground dwelling

Was keen to try out my Polish lavuu and was camping out at my regular meet.

I loved the way that I could crawl into my tent and get changed in private without stuff falling onto the floor. I liked how I could put a book down and it stayed there and getting into my sleeping bags was a breeze!

However, had an AWFUL night. Despite having a decent Therm-a-Rest under me, I was still cold and the sleeping bags just seemed constrictive. It was cold, mind, could see my breath in the dim glow of my fairy lights but just couldn't get comfortable and warm at the same time.

Going back to hanging next time round... now that I've cracked the insulation I can guarantee the warmth!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    After spending most my life on the ground, last couple 3 yrs in a hammock has been sweet bliss. Don't blame you one bit!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    I really can't imagine being on the ground anymore, all i could do is think is it time to get up yet! I just never liked sleeping in a tent even though i loved camping, just made due with a pad like is expected of us for comfort. There is little comfort to be had on the ground even if you car camp with a colman 1' air mattress, there just is no way to compare being cradled as opposed to having life sucked from your bones on the ground. Of course underquilts change the game for us hammockers.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yea, using the EXACT same insulation that had kept me warm to 17 degrees (pre UQ for me) I "Froze" on the ground at 45 later that year.
    4 of us in a 6 person tent, with a HEATER, I still shivvvvvvered all night! That morning I told them "Love you guys, will NEVER sleep on the ground again!" And it was MY tent & heater.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I've been hammocking a little over a year, and it has made me realize that I've never had a good night's sleep on the ground... I always just tolerated it. I still haven't gotten that 'perfect' night of sleep hanging, but even the bad nights have been better than most on the ground.

Put it this way; I take naps in a hammock in my basement when at home, rather than the bed... I have never gone down to the basement, put down some CCF and napped on the floor.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw

Tried ground dwelling

Oldrag, you need an 11' hammock. It is a world of comfort.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Oldrag, you need an 11' hammock. It is a world of comfort.
    I fear you are correct...
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    I loved the way that I could crawl into my tent and get changed in private without stuff falling onto the floor. I liked how I could put a book down and it stayed there and getting into my sleeping bags was a breeze!

However, had an AWFUL night. Despite having a decent Therm-a-Rest under me, I was still cold .....................................
    Going back to hanging next time round... now that I've cracked the insulation I can guarantee the warmth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Yea, using the EXACT same insulation that had kept me warm to 17 degrees (pre UQ for me) I "Froze" on the ground at 45 later that year.
    4 of us in a 6 person tent, with a HEATER, I still shivvvvvvered all night! That morning I told them "Love you guys, will NEVER sleep on the ground again!" And it was MY tent & heater.
    OK guys, what is the explanation ( if any one has a theory ) foe this cold on the ground business?

I get the comfort issues, 99% of us HF folks get that. But in earlier days, the whole thing keeping folks from switching to hammocks was figuring out how not to freeze in them. Most of us had pretty good systems for staying warm on the ground, but the switch to a hammock was a challenge. And to this day you see quite a number of threads where people have 1st rate gear but are cold, at least with UQs until they master the learning curve.

Plus, this theory seemed to be accepted by most: the air blowing under a hammock can 1: at least sometimes be much colder than the ground or the snow cover and 2: sometimes the air is literally blowing, thus you have an added wind chill factor hitting your back, that must be defeated for any hope of the warmth you are hoping for from your 3" of under loft.

And after all, the advice of that hammock camping pioneer and expert by virtue of long years of experience Ed Speer was: there will be times when it is just too cold for the hammock at least with the gear you have. Don't freeze, just go to ground as a last resort. ( paraphrase )

So what is going on, has the gear and our expertise advanced so much that we can now stay warmer with the same gear in a hammock than on the ground? Of course, when I say "same gear", this implies the same pad used both in the hammock as on the ground. Or, at least implies a pad used on the ground that would have at least as much R value as whatever type UQ was being used. I can't offer an opinion, because it has been so long since I have either been cold in a hammock or slept on the ground. However, last time I froze in a hammock ( shivering, over 6 years ago ) I abandoned the hammock ( per Ed's advise though I had not yet read his book ) and was plenty warm on the ground. Not comfy, but warm.

Inquiring minds want to know! ( I'm not doubting it, I'm just wondering what is the explanation for this apparent reversal. )

Tried ground dwelling

The insulation in my hammock wraps around me even though the sleeping bag is not compressed up the sides. On the ground it only covers the compressed portion.

Also, in the hammock I'm closer to the tarp than in a tent so the air void to heat is lower

Plus, water is a more efficient conductor of heat than air and the ground was fairly damp under my groundsheet

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw

Tried ground dwelling

A you can use a hammock sock
    B you can use an under quilt protector this stopping downy warmness for leaving your quilt.
    C you can get canvas items for the hammock that bring you to minus many deg. I have been comfortable in minus 4 without a hammock sock or an under quilt protector. I will never be a ground dweller by choice. Meaning someone else made my decision.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast