Oversized Hammock anyone?

Has anyone made an oversized hammock? I have an ENO doublenest (80" wide), and I recently bought an 11 ft hammock that is 58" wide. I'm 6' tall, but I can't get as diagonal as I would like...How about combining both to make one long and wide? I bet it would be awesome! (I could be wrong, but I think I'm on to something)

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Oversized Hammock anyone?

I make 90"x11' and 90"x10.5' hammocks. They are super comfortable! You can get a great diagonal lay in them. I can even sleep comfortably on my side and stomach. I am only 5'3", but made one for a friend who is 6'4". He loves his, too.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmanmike View Post
    Has anyone made an oversized hammock? I have an ENO doublenest (80" wide), and I recently bought an 11 ft hammock that is 58" wide. I'm 6' tall, but I can't get as diagonal as I would like...How about combining both to make one long and wide? I bet it would be awesome! (I could be wrong, but I think I'm on to something)
    Width is not the solution to a flatter lay, in my opinion. If you go much more than 60" wide the fabric is probably flopping over you anyway. At that point it's just unnecessary weight.

Are you using a hammock ridgeline? You should probably try experimenting with the ridgeline before going to a 138" wide hammock, or whatever you are proposing.

I've never gone wider than 60" on a hammock, and I'm partial to the 11 ft. length. You should be able to get a fine diagonal with an 11 ft. x 58" wide hammock, assuming you have a ridgeline. I'm only an inch shorter than you and I have no problems.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I make 90"x11' and 90"x10.5' hammocks. They are super comfortable! You can get a great diagonal lay in them. I can even sleep comfortably on my side and stomach. I am only 5'3", but made one for a friend who is 6'4". He loves his, too.
    +1 to this. I'm the friend that loves his, and I have to say, at 6'4" a 90" hammock is the way to go. There's some flap, but I'm a gear fattie - better to have a surplus than too little.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmanmike View Post
    You should be able to get a good, comfortable sleep in the hammocks that you already have. Try to adjust your hang. You might need more sag and also try elevating the foot end higher than your head end. I'm 6'2" and I used to sleep in my ENO DN every night (for 6 months) until I made my huge Brazilian tablecloth hammock (90"x156"). That huge hammock is strictly for sleeping at the house. When I had my DN up the foot end was much higher than the head end (it almost looked comically high but it was very comfy) and there was a bit more sag than you might think is normal. Try adjusting the sag and foot elevation before you spend the money on a new hammock.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Mmmmkay...Both hammocks have a structural ridge line that is at 83%. I adjust them from there. On the 11' hammock, I need to hang my feet over the side, for it to work...I've been testing them both for the last few nights, and, much to my dismay, the ENO has proven most comfortable. It allows me a more diagonal position. If it were a foot longer, it only makes sense that it would only get better. I guess I'll just keep messing with it a few time a night until I'm sure of my hypothesis.

I made a 13' long, 72" wide hammock with a 10' 8" ridgeline. Awesome.

• + New Posts