Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Do shorter quilts fit better?

I currently use a 58" KAQ Jarbidge underquilt with my WBBB. It is well made, but I am looking for something made of down. I am looking at the HG Phoenix or WB Yeti, as well as other cottage partial length quilts. It seems like the foot end of the Jarbidge is a bit awkward in terms of length. It hits around my ankles, and the angle of the foot suspension up to the hammock seems odd, like it creates a gap, especially going over the footbox of my WBBB. I have messed around with triangle thingys and dutch quilt hooks, but it never seems quite right. While researching the other options, I am struck by how perfect the Yeti seems to fit. The suspension starts at mid-thigh and goes right to the hook up point, causing minimal gap if any. Has anyone else noticed this?

I was wondering about that angle with even a 52" Phoenix, thinking it even might be a bit in-between. I wondered if anyone here had a similar issue. Right now, the Yeti would be a no-brainer for me, but I am a little worried about the 40 inch width being too narrow. I am considering having Stormcrow make me a 45 inch wide, 46 inch long Phoenix, but I don't know if I am committed to paying more for custom. ( I think a couple of people here have a similar length. Lazy River Road maybe?_)

As usual, I might be overthinking this, but I always love the opinions on this site. Am I crazy for thinking that shorter underquilts hang more naturally?

In general, full length UQ's are harder to dial in. You can get creases and with your feet pushing on one side, you really have to dial it in to make sure it fits with you inside the hammock.

Phoenix mitigates a lot of this by nature of being shorter. Same with Yeti, shorter UQ's are just easier to dial in since you're not putting forces like your feet on one side and you're not stretching it the entire length of the hammock, fitting both your torso and feet the same. That's hard to do, shorter UQ's make it A LOT easier.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I offer this......may help with fit.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i had very bad results from the 3/4 phoniex and the 3/4 wilderness logics underquilt.i have a wilderness logic full length but i just got it so i will not find out if it will work for me till next winter.the jarbridge river so called 30 degree only work down to 40 for me.i still am extremey skeptical of underquilts.they are expensive and have left me cold and dissapointedneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I offer this......may help with fit.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

great video shug.i fully understand what you said that it took you a long time to trust underquilt because i still dont trust them.i been using pads 11 years now,but i use double bottom hammocks so you cant even feel the pad is there.hopefully my new full length under quilt by wilderness logics will work for me.it will be next winter before i use it though.i may be the only hammock camper in the world that under quilts dont work for lolneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    In general, full length UQ's are harder to dial in. You can get creases and with your feet pushing on one side, you really have to dial it in to make sure it fits with you inside the hammock.

Phoenix mitigates a lot of this by nature of being shorter. Same with Yeti, shorter UQ's are just easier to dial in since you're not putting forces like your feet on one side and you're not stretching it the entire length of the hammock, fitting both your torso and feet the same. That's hard to do, shorter UQ's make it A LOT easier.
    Thanks, Slo. You described it better than I could. "Fitting both your torso and feet the same." is exactly the situation.

Thanks for the video link, Shug. I had seen that before, but forgot about it. The video kind of gets to the heart of my question. Your short quilt lines go over the legs pretty easily, whereas my slightly longer, 3/4 quilt seems to hit right at the ankle/foot, making keeping the line above the footbox a bit tougher.

Does anyone have any input into the Yeti shoulder question or the custom Phoenix idea?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm all for a fine designer like Stormcrow augmenting his income charging the true cost of making custom gear. And for you having pride of ownership in something that is unique to you.

I also think that for all the talk of "dialing in' suspensions for UQ, it is downright easy with a partial UQ if you use a suspension that is some version of the ones devised by Leighlo's Director of R&D & Acting Chief Tester & QC Feedback Integrator. That is, one that doesn't try to pull the UQ up by pulling it outward toward the end of the hammock, an exercise made yet more foolish by working through flexible shock cord. The "clip to the end" is a foolish engineering solution, compared to pulling the UQ almost exclusively up.

I use HG's and Leighlo's UQs, and am glad for their stock widths. I assume the designs are evolved through extensive trial and field testing, and don't think my optimum -- I'm neither stout nor slender -- to be worth discovery or paying more for.....until I'm lent a Yeti and discover that there's no loss in comfort from smaller, and fewer resources used. UQs are not bicycles, which need to fit right for active use according to each body.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-15-2013 at 17:39. Reason: spelling & attribution

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    That is, one that doesn't try to pull the UQ up by pulling it outward toward the end of the hammock, an exercise made yet more foolish by working through flexible shock cord. It's a lousy engineering solution compared to pulling the UQ almost exclusively up.

I forgot about this Weaver, sorry. With my 0* Incubator(you'll have this especially with 0* because of the weight of the quilt), I had to rig shock cord a couple spots that went from the sides of my UQ, over my ridge-line and tightened them once inside the hammock to where I wanted it. This was after "dialing it in" but the nature of the full length, and heavy one at that, was hard to get a perfect fit and not have to keep my feet pressing on the UQ in the same spot all night, I could move around.

In this configuration the UQ is always being pulled directly up. There are definitely better solutions out now though that weren't 2 years ago.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I own and use UQs from several of our cottage vendors. All great products. I do find the 3/4 UQs are easier to adjust than my full length UQ. The FL is only used when it is really cold, other wise I use the 3/4 length due to weight savings and size.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I find myself using FL UQ's in the cold temps only as its so easy to use the Half UQ's and a breeze to set them and leave them alone. I also find myself from 40 and up not even using a foot pad or anything else so it allows me to go very much lighter in pack weight. Latest Half UQ I am testing and using right now is a te-wa 40 breeze with a extra oz of down stuffed in it and its very nicely made and 10.7 oz in weight.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast