Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Wait no girls, sorry I'm out. Seriously though once my little one gets old enough my girls will be hanging. The little woman just doesn't trust anyone to watch her overnight. I can't tell you how many outdoor oriented friends I've had that have quit hiking and biking because of non outdoors women. If every guy like us could find an outdoors girl we'd be in heaven. I got lucky as did many of us, so yeah any club with no girls sucks in my book.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I had an idea last night...
    Darn good 'un, too!

I like that idea.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Latest word is that the test flags did not arrive this week, as planned... will arrive next Tuesday.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have a feeler out for bandannas also. I know someone that makes them and they are suppose to email me a link to the website with the colors tomorrow morning and give me a quote at the same time.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

still trying to source flags

Ok, here's the scoop.

The flags that were sent as samples were not even close to the color that they appeared to be online. Also, the material is too thin for screen printing on both sides.

So, we are checking other sources for flags that are heavy enough to print on both sides (probably 200 denier nylon), and available in the correct background color.

I still believe flags will be available before the SEHHA hang at Hot Springs.

- MacEntyre

P.S. I'm thinking of making a DIY HF flag kit. Appliqued flags are much higher quality than anything printed. They are also much more expensive to produce. A kit would include directions, enough fabric of the right colors, and screen printed strips with the text portions.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That sounds great Mac. A kit would go over well, I think. Thank you.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Got enuf DIY gear makers to go around ya think?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Flag to be Flown, or Flag to be Sewn?

Ok folks, I have figured this out.

Screen Printing Overview

T-shirts are screen printed. The graphic is put onto the fabric one color at a time, through a screen mask. It is lightly cured with UV between colors and baked after the last color. We are all familiar with the result.

The back side of screen printing looks like the back side of a T shirt graphic. It looks bad. Screen printing for flags is done in Mom & Pop shops that are set up for T-shirts. The blank, finished flag, made with fabric of the correct background color, must be purchased first.

Digital Printing Overview

Digital Printing uses dyes instead of inks. The machines are similar to the ink jet printer connected to your computer, although they may or may not use ink jet technology. The fabric is dyed all the way through.

The back side of digital printing looks just like the front side. It dyes the fabric all the way through. Digital printing for flags is done at a large facility that prints the fabric first, then finishes the flag in a cut and sew operation.

Flags are printed on one side

Even though my local screen printer is willing to try printing on both sides, he has never done it. Folks who know flags, not T-shirts, have told me that whether screen printed or digital printed, flags, with text that must be readable on both sides, are printed on two pieces of fabric and sewn together.

A flag with text that is correct on both sides is expensive, no matter how it is printed. It costs a bit more than twice as much as a flag that is one layer of fabric.

Here is my suggestion.

Let's do one or both of the following two options.

A) A Flag to be Flown
    We can use digital printing to make a flag without text, and it will look great on both sides, when flown as a flag.

B) A Flag to be Sewn
    We can use digital printing to make a flag with text, and it will look great when affixed to your tarp, so the backside does not show.

The cost is the same for either option, with the same price break points for quantity. The price per flag will depend upon how many of each are purchased. Both options will come with a taped edge and brass grommets.

DIY folks can make a Flag to be Flown - with Text by getting two B) Flags to be Sewn, removing the taped edge and grommets from one, and stitching the two flags together.

If you agree with this approach, then now is the time for a poll to find out how many people want A) Flag to be Flown, and how many want B) Flag to be Sewn.

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 02-23-2009 at 18:55.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    MacEntyre

You need to look into sublimi(sp). It is how the shirts were done on the last shirt order I did. This also dyes the shirt but it does not go all the way through the shirt.

If you have one of the shirts I did you can check it out.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ATtroll, I'll look into it. I believe it was mentioned in the conversation I had just yesterday. The explanation was that flag material is simply too thin to print on both sides using any process. Even if the dye doesn't go all the way through, it is still a challenge to print on both sides. Your T-shirts were not printed on both sides, were they?

I'll find out about it today. I'd like to get this order placed before the end of next week, so that we have a chance of taking delivery before Hot Springs.

In order to simplify our order, and have the full leverage of quantity, I would suggest that we order the Flag to be Sewn, but without grommets and the taped edge. That will lower the cost. To make a Flag to be Flown, there will be nothing to take apart; just sew two together, tape one edge and install grommets.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast