I have the privilege of going to the Quetico (Canadian side of the BWCA) this year with a group of friends. Last year in the Boundary Waters, we put up a 16' x 18' cheapo tarp that was rather frustrating to hang. Two of the guys in the group designed a rope frame around the perimeter of the tarp, which we tried to get square, then the tarp was suspended inside of the frame with bungees. If it sounds complicated, then it sounds about right.

We try to do things on the cheap, especially because it's more expensive to go to Quetico this year. I've tried searching the internet and HF for help on this, but no luck. I've checked out the Kelty 16' Noah tarp and so far I like it, but that's a little small. We all tend to smell bad... more room is better. So, here are a few questions:
  1. Could I retrofit a cheapo straight-edged tarp and install my own catenary edges?
  2. Does anyone make a CHEAP cat-cut large tarp, 20' x 20' or larger?
  3. Is there another way to get a tight pitch on a cheap rectangular tarp?

I'd like to keep the project around $50 so we don't feel bad if it gets ripped or eaten by a one of us for a midnight snack. Ease of setup is the main point. I figure that the Noah design or the Wilderness Logics Tadpole design would be best. Thanks in advance for any help.