RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by padre View Post
    Thanks to all, I intend trying out a rough model in low cost material before investing. What do you think of a sealed double walled base hammock (like a permanent undercover) filling to be 200wgt thinsulate and still keeping the bottom entry also replace the bottom half of netting with solid cover. Other options still a work in progress.
    This is scary...I was just thinking about something like that while I was laying in my new Safari with a really cold butt. I was thinking the thinsulate would need to be attached to the hammock bottom so there would be no air gap between the thinsulate and your sleeping bag bottom. Does that make sense? I've only had mine for 3 hours and it seems upgrades are needed to stay warm. Maybe you have the right idea Padre...make a winter hammock and a summer hammock and maybe a "tweener" for Spring and Fall. My wife is really going to be pissed when I break out the sewing machine!!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Are you going to want her to do the sewing? if not... at least the machine is getting used. If that's the plan.... do it yourself. Then if it gets messed up.... she's off the hook and you're on it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    hh deluxe
    Tarp
    custom 3x3 (cat)
    Insulation
    snugpak bag
    Suspension
    hh original
    So I'm not mad In relation to the thinsulate not touching the sleeping bag I'm thinking more along the lines of a sandwich you lie on the inner wall as per current hammocks the outer wall and filling are stitched as one leave enough room for whipping the ends and it's a permanent waterproof under quilt, also this would be an all round year bag, in that to adapt to warmer or colder weather just adapt your layers (role mat and clothing layers or sleeping bag/quilt).
    Just for reference I'm sourcing materials from the rockywoods website but estimate an outer layer of 3 layer taslan gore tex with an inner of 1.9 ripstop total price seams to be coming in under current super shelter prices (under and over cover priced as per hh site). the tarp would also be of blackbird style but with additions of poles over top to increase internal room and alleviate tarp sag/flap (I have seen similar tarp idea but cannot remember where).I could go on like this all night but it's getting late 03:10 so I'll sign off any other ideas please suggest I'm still working it out in my head and on paper.

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Are you going to want her to do the sewing? if not... at least the machine is getting used. If that's the plan.... do it yourself. Then if it gets messed up.... she's off the hook and you're on it.
    I'm the sewing person...she manages a button once in awhile and that's about it. She gets pissed because I tend to take over the dinning room table for months on end...that's what happened last year when the boys and I made and a new camo duck blind cover for the Jon boat....Feb thru May I think it was. You know how that goes..ya get started then something comes up and you get side tracked and...well...it always takes longer than you think it will.

Won't be long till the sun is up longer and it is getting warmer...hard to stay inside and sew in that kind of weather....but then my butt will be warmer too and I really won't need the extra insulation till next fall. Sometimes things just work out by themselves!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    We both have our own machines and our own workspaces. Who knows what's going to happen if we have to move to a smaller place.... gack...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    BMWWILSON tore a Hennesy apart and documemted the size and folding pattern he found. Search his name and and you should find it. This was circa 2 years ago.

Grinder

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    also, contrary to popular opinion and name, the body of the hennessy is not assymetric. The bug net and the tarp are.

Grinder

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    BMWWILSON tore a Hennesy apart and documemted the size and folding pattern he found. Search his name and and you should find it. This was circa 2 years ago.

Grinder
    That should be wilsonbmw
    wilsonbmw's Images
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12