scout222

Unhappy newbee needs help

did my homework. brought 2 hennessy hammocks. watched videos. I'm a camper for 20 years. I'm an assistat scoutmaster. I can do this. NOT!
    What an expensive mistake and disappointed son. hung it from the trees and my butt was on the floor. tried it from the rafters in the pavillion still no luck the ridge rine was in my face with the netting. back to the trees - mine you i am 5'6" why are my feet so much higher than the rest of my body? I'm trying to lay across with no luck. I see all these pictures with the hennessy hammock set up. never do see people in them...begining to wonder why now. It's like some giant joke on me I guess. Any advise? Or ayone want to buy two brand new expeditions? I didn't even try the tarp which I'm sure I will have other problems with since the ridgeline is like a wet noodle unless I tie it so taugh i can barly even get in it then it starts to slip down the tree.

I have a question after reading pages and pages here. why an under and over quit? why not get into a sleeping bag?

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I have a HH Expedition classic. I think it took me an hour to set up the first time and several times to dial it in. If I don't hang in it for a while, it still takes me time to get it right. Can you post pictures of it hanging? That would help us see what is wrong. There are also a lot of hangers in FL. Maybe somebody close can help you in person. Don't give up--the reward is worth it.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Sure, you can do it. Don't give up just yet, okay? There are many old hands here that can help. I'm new and don't have that particular hammock but I'm sure Pat and others can help. These are some of the best people you'll ever meet, smart and generous.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Picture would definitely help. I'm not sure how you can actually have a droopy ridge line. How far apart were your anchor points? Did your butt hit the ground due to the lashing letting go? If so, then it was done incorrectly. If you used the figure 8 lash recommended in the Hennessy videos, it takes a bit to get it right, and you have to remember to put in a half hitch or two behind it to prevent slipping. I learned that one the hard way the first time I set my Hennessy up. We bought two, and have been so pleased with them we have 5 now. But there is a learning curve. Just be patient and ask lots of questions and the good people here will get you hanging.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My offering to you for some insight.....Hammock How-To
    Hope these help you see the way to comfort.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Go to a Group Hang before you give up! Either that, or get hold of one of the Florida hangers here. I'm sure they can help you dial in your setup!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Not sure where in FL you call home, but if you're within driving distance and would like to camp out this weekend, a bunch of us will be hanging at the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest in the Arbuckle Tract. You can get all the details here. We will get you hanging in no time with senior members like Olddog and Samsara! Plus, us Florida hangers are famous for our Mountain Man breakfasts, Dutch oven cobbler goodness and more. The videos Shug posted above should answer your questions about the top quilt/underquilt(just remember that compacted insulation doesn't work!).

Images
    Back to the basics - three of the Cub Scout Core Values: Perserverence; Positive Attitude; Resourcefulness.

My guess is you did not hang the hammock high enough and far enough. Try trees 12-15' feet apart and hang the tree hungers as high as you can.

Then persevere with a positive attitude while using all you resources (we call it "dialing it in").

http://hennessyhammock.com/media/C35/#content
    Last edited by Roche; 02-19-2013 at 07:46.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    If I can do it, anyone can do it. And with the help of the good people here, I now do it routinely. As someone else has said, its worth the trouble.

Hang in there.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

newbee needs help

Go out with other hangers. All your problems will be solved and, you'll meet new friends!

I don't know where you are in Florida, but there is a group going out this weekend in Lake Wales Ridge State Forest located between Frostproof and Avon Park, on the west side of Lake Arbuckle.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=57841
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts