Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images

HH Explorer Deluxe: Setup and Suspension

I did some car camping this weekend and had the opportunity to try a multitude of tree span lengths for optimum hang angle and attachment heights.

After trying various tree spans, it seemed to me that when I attached the tree huggers as high as most recommend (and confirmed by the Hang Calc app) for the horizontal span, my hammock ridgeline had excessive sag in it. Is it best to tighten the hammock RL sag by lowering the tree huggers - or tightening the suspension whoopies?

The target 30* hang angle appeared to always produce a slack RL... is my problem that I'm eyeing an empty hammock as opposed to a loaded hammock?

Is it recommended to use the whoopies solely to center the hammock between trees and then the tree huggers to adjust hang angle and height? Or are you using the whoopies to also adjust height and angle? Thanks for insight or suggestions for ease of setup... I'd appreciate hearing how you eyeball your hugger height and whoopie tension for various spans.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Someone recently posted in another thread that if you replace/upgrade the stock suspension, the ridgeline setting may be thrown off. I have done away with the stock Hennessy suspension ropes, and I also have the same issue as you in that I need some serious sag in my ridgeline in order to get a comfortable lay in my HH Expedition. If my ridgeline is at a suggested tautness (where you can barely bend it 90 degrees with your fingers when laying in it) I get a significant ridge in the center of the hammock where my calves cross over.

I am considering just shortening my ridgeline, which will allow me to pull it tight when setting up as well as raising up the bugnet a little higher away from me.

I'm interested in other's input on this as well.

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    The target 30* hang angle appeared to always produce a slack RL... is my problem that I'm eyeing an empty hammock as opposed to a loaded hammock?

Is it recommended to use the whoopies solely to center the hammock between trees and then the tree huggers to adjust hang angle and height? Or are you using the whoopies to also adjust height and angle? Thanks for insight or suggestions for ease of setup... I'd appreciate hearing how you eyeball your hugger height and whoopie tension for various spans.[/QUOTE]

Your goal is to achieve a 30* angle when you are in the hammock. String it fairly tight when you put it up starting with the ridgeline about chin high, then sit down in it and see if you are at a comfortable height. With practice, you will get a feel for what is right for you. The beauty of the whoopies is the ability to tweak the adjustments. Your tree straps will need to be head high or more, depending on how far apart your trees are. Many find they are more comfortable with the foot end 6"or so higher than the head, depending on the hammock. This keeps you from gradually sliding to the foot end once in the hammock (your center of gravity is closer to your navel than your hips).
    With regards to the ridge in the middle, try shifting your rear more to the right. A small pillow or jacket stuffed under your right knee may also help level things out.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    Someone recently posted in another thread that if you replace/upgrade the stock suspension, the ridgeline setting may be thrown off. I have done away with the stock Hennessy suspension ropes, and I also have the same issue as you in that I need some serious sag in my ridgeline in order to get a comfortable lay in my HH Expedition. If my ridgeline is at a suggested tautness (where you can barely bend it 90 degrees with your fingers when laying in it) I get a significant ridge in the center of the hammock where my calves cross over.
    Although I've replaced my stock suspension with 6' whoopies/ring/huggers all-in-one suspension, I don't see how this should affect the HH stock RL and lay of the hammock. The new suspension is attached exactly as the stock suspension - and I don't believe I have changed the effective length of the hammock or RL.

This was an email reply I got from James at HH:
    The length of the ridgeline will vary slightly depending on how much the mesh stretches when under tension. The best way to know if you have the correct length is to look at the mesh. If you see wrinkles moving horizontally you need to shorten the ridgeline. If you see wrinkles going vertically then the ridgeline is too short. Ideally you would see no wrinkles but if you have to error on one side or the other it's probably better to have your ridgeline be a little short.
    Last edited by hawghangar; 02-19-2013 at 10:43. Reason: mistake

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    Although I've replaced my ridgeline with 6' whoopies/ring/huggers all-in-one suspension, I don't see how this should affect the HH stock RL and lay of the hammock. The new suspension is attached exactly as the stock suspension - and I don't believe I have changed the effective length of the hammock or RL.

This was an email reply I got from James at HH:
    The length of the ridgeline will vary slightly depending on how much the mesh stretches when under tension. The best way to know if you have the correct length is to look at the mesh. If you see wrinkles moving horizontally you need to shorten the ridgeline. If you see wrinkles going vertically then the ridgeline is too short. Ideally you would see no wrinkles but if you have to error on one side or the other it's probably better to have your ridgeline be a little short.
    Hawg, I'm guessing you meant that you replaced your suspension and not your ridgeline. I'm not exactly sure how this would change your ridgeline, but I can visualize in my mind a scenario where the end loops of the ridgeline were able to slide down slightly on the newly installed suspension.... which in effect would lengthen the ridgeline, and reduce the sag in my hammock.... which could increase the center ridge causing my calf pressure. If this has indeed happened, that would explain why I need to set up my hammock with an overly loose ridgeline.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    Hawg, I'm guessing you meant that you replaced your suspension and not your ridgeline. I'm not exactly sure how this would change your ridgeline, but I can visualize in my mind a scenario where the end loops of the ridgeline were able to slide down slightly on the newly installed suspension.... which in effect would lengthen the ridgeline, and reduce the sag in my hammock.... which could increase the center ridge causing my calf pressure. If this has indeed happened, that would explain why I need to set up my hammock with an overly loose ridgeline.
    yes...I'll edit my earlier post - thanks for noting the mistake.

The overly loose RL really makes me feel a bit claustrophobic with the bug net drooping down. I really like the extra "space" inside of the hammock of a taut RL.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    yes...I'll edit my earlier post - thanks for noting the mistake.

The overly loose RL really makes me feel a bit claustrophobic with the bug net drooping down. I really like the extra "space" inside of the hammock of a taut RL.
    Me too. Especially with the Expedition, which isn't a very big hammock to begin with. The last couple of times I used the Expedition I had the netting off so it didn't really mess with me. When the bugs start coming out, I may have to do some ridgeline alterations.

• + New Posts